PDA

View Full Version : Ball or roller bearings ????

lonesomebob
6th December 2009, 12:13 AM
What are the feelings about using ball bearings in wood clocks????? I am going to rework an old thomas clock that runs and rumbles like a box of rocks rolling down stairs. My thought is that ball bearings on the shafts and gears might impeove things immensly. Is there any protocol on this or experience.? Bob:? [email protected]

roscopeeko
6th December 2009, 04:39 PM
have a read here...

Bearings (http://www.bealltool.com/clockforum/index.php?board=8.0)

cheers
rosco

lonesomebob
7th December 2009, 06:35 AM
I have an older clock that the former owner screwed up, It appears that I will not have my buttons cut off ,or be drummed out if I use ball bearings ,just to make it run. I intend to build one from the plans but with greater care, rather than can this one and start over. Thanks for all the input. Bob:)

HammaHed
25th December 2009, 03:00 AM
Balled Bearings?

Depends upon the type of service the components are subjected too.

Plain brass components rubbing together in a dry dust free environment are both self lubricating and work hardening.

In clocks they last for a very long time.

As soon as people oil them, the dust sticks, the work hardening goes and they wear out quite quickly.

The true "name" of balled bearings is "low friction bearings" relative to the equivalent size and speed of a similarly constructed "oil fed plain bearing".