PDA

View Full Version : Tree Timber ID ?

Manuka Jock
7th December 2009, 04:05 PM
Can the panel identify this wood ?

Ozkaban
7th December 2009, 04:48 PM
We have one of them out the front of my house. LOML tells me it's a 'blah blah blah', but it never sticks in my head :rolleyes:

I'll ask her again, and see if I can chop it down - looks good as a bowl :D

Cheers,
Dave

Manuka Jock
7th December 2009, 05:24 PM
Show her how big the Golden Dish will be .......:U

My sister's landlord , who cut it down , thought that it was an Elm .
He lived in the house for years .

The folks at the Woodturning Guild , reckon that it doesn't look like Elm .
I saw a turned bowl on the net that looked the same as my piece , and it was labeled Cherry .

It's got me beat

Woodwould
7th December 2009, 05:33 PM
Birch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch). I had acres of the damned things back in Ireland. I burned many tonnes of the stuff in fires and stoves.

Manuka Jock
7th December 2009, 05:53 PM
No , I dunno that its' birch WW , they are still standing in the garden :U
The leaves are wrinkled , in a sort of crepe paper manner , and bark on the main trunk looks too coarse for birch .

nalmo
7th December 2009, 06:34 PM
I was sort of thinking cherry. Does it have horizontal bands in the bark? Colours in the pics can be a bit deceiving. Is the natural colour of the timber a pale orange?

Manuka Jock
7th December 2009, 08:04 PM
No , the bark and the leaves don't match it , not the usual cherry anyway . The timber is orange tho .
The cherry tree is still standing in the garden :U . Its a big one too .

glenn k
7th December 2009, 08:13 PM
It's not a Cherry or an Elm. Could you put up a photo of a whole tree or some fruit or flower info. Looks very fast growing by the growth rings. Perhaps an Elder.

Manuka Jock
7th December 2009, 08:22 PM
It's not a Cherry or an Elm. Could you put up a photo of a whole tree or some fruit or flower info. Looks very fast growing by the growth rings. Perhaps an Elder.

Glenn , you could be right about Alder . The leaves that are sprouting from the stump have the look of Red Alder , as does the wood .
The tree was cut down 4 months ago

artme
7th December 2009, 09:12 PM
Looks good whatever it is!!!!:2tsup::2tsup:

Got your george Washington act together to cut down that cherry tree?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Manuka Jock
7th December 2009, 09:25 PM
Looks good whatever it is!!!!:2tsup::2tsup:

Got your george Washington act together to cut down that cherry tree?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wish :D

orraloon
7th December 2009, 09:48 PM
I would have said birch too. There are a few different breeds. That looks like silver birch from the bark.

Manuka Jock
7th December 2009, 09:51 PM
I would have said birch too. There are a few different breeds. That looks like silver birch from the bark.
No , its not birch , this bark is rough , all over

glenn k
7th December 2009, 10:05 PM
Try Alnus serrulata

orraloon
7th December 2009, 10:08 PM
Its been a long time since I had a close look at a birch but the bigger trees develop a rough bark. The young ones have the shiny smooth bark usually in broad stripes. The main trunk can be the rough bark while the limbs can be quite smooth.There are some in the upper Blue Mountains and when I drive past I get kind of homesick. They are a lower story tree and like the wattle here never or seldom get really large.

Manuka Jock
7th December 2009, 10:16 PM
Its been a long time since I had a close look at a birch but the bigger trees develop a rough bark. The young ones have the shiny smooth bark usually in broad stripes. The main trunk can be the rough bark while the limbs can be quite smooth.There are some in the upper Blue Mountains and when I drive past I get kind of homesick. They are a lower story tree and like the wattle here never or seldom get really large.

Even the young branches have rough bark .
It is not a birch .

glenn k
7th December 2009, 10:34 PM
Think it is Alnus serrulata but cones or flowers would help.
Alnus serrulata Fact Sheet (http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=8)

Manuka Jock
7th December 2009, 10:53 PM
Think it is Alnus serrulata but cones or flowers would help.
Alnus serrulata Fact Sheet (http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=8)
The tree is no longer a tree. .No flowers or seeds to be had from it .

It was not a shrub or a multi stemmed tree .
The base was almost a metre thru , so not alnus serrulata

orraloon
7th December 2009, 11:07 PM
glenn k
You are turning up the heat. You have done research!. The leaf does look similar however. Life has shown I have not been always 100% right on many things before so I fold on this one but will be looking for someone to come in with an answer.
Regards
John

Manuka Jock
8th December 2009, 07:53 AM
So far Glenn, Red Alder seems to be the one .

This trait sort of clinches it for me

Red alder wood, however, acquires a mottled orange color following felling, which is undesirable when the wood is used for decorative purposes
Thermal modification of color in red alder veneer. I. Effects of temperature, heating time, and wood type (http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17243663)

The mottled orange is ok by me :U.
It came thru in the wet cored / turned blanks too .
Has me wondering if the orange colour would have ended up on a piece finished to completion while wet .

glenn k
8th December 2009, 01:21 PM
Alnus jorullensis evergreen Alder is the only Alder I have cut up. They turn different colours. From memory the saw dust is orange then turns sort of redish then fades to white all in about 10 min. The wood does similar things I have a couple of slabs here they look very bland after a few years. If you called it Red Alder I don't think anyone would complain. Or you could wait for the suckers on the stump to get bigger and flower and fruit. Well it looks good anyway.

Manuka Jock
8th December 2009, 02:10 PM
Yes , as you say , the flowers and fruit will tell .
The roughed out wood has stayed orangish , as has the firewood .

Red Alder was used for bowls , plates etc in times past in North America apparently