PDA

View Full Version : Intro and First Project

WardloW
7th December 2009, 10:31 PM
I've been lurking for some time now on these forums and its about time I introduced myself. I work as a mechanical designer and have taken up welding as a hobby since it's a practical outlet relevant to my work and there's a number of projects I have in mind that require the skill.

A few months back I did a MIG welding course at Chisholm TAFE in Dandenong (highly recomended) and upon use of their Lincoln equipment decided to buy one myself. I purchased a 180c and couldn't be happier. It's so easy to use and weld quality is comparable to that which I was achieveing on Chisholms remote 3-phase units, gasless.

My first project, a simple enough one, is to be a welding screen. I've already designed this on CAD and spent last Sunday cutting and prepping the steel. If time permits I should get it together this week. Anyway, I've attached some images below for those who are interested. The two uprights are made from 30x30x2 RHS and gusstes cut from 5mm strip. The cross members are 25x25x1.6 and telescope into the 30x30. These are secured with bolts as I want the screen to easily disasemble for transport /storage. The castors are from Richmond and end-caps from Bunnings up the road. Hopefully I'll finish it this weekend and post some pictures.

Before I go I'd like to thank all those who contribute and make this forum what it is, particularly Graeme, Yonnee, Dazzler and the like! Well done guys... :2tsup:

Yonnee
7th December 2009, 11:04 PM
Welcome aboard WardloW, and thanks for the vote of confidence. It's always nice to be appreciated.

I did my beginners MIG course through Chisolm at Dandy too, must be 14 years ago now. Had my employer pay for it too, which is always a bonus. The best bit was we all finished early on the final day, so they let us play around with the MIG's setup for Aluminium welding.

Good looking project, love to see it finished.

Yonnee.

Yonnee
7th December 2009, 11:12 PM
Just noticed you mentioned your own MIG was gasless. Is it compatible to run with gas as well? If so, I highly recommend it. My 'E' sized bottle costs me $10 amonth on direct debit, and about $80 to exchange it when it's empty, (I'm on my 3rd bottle in 10 years) and I've only got to do one or two paying jobs a year for other people to cover it.

Y.

WardloW
7th December 2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks Yonnee. Yeah, it can run gas as well but figure I should use the flux cored spool that came with it for practice. Now that you mention it I might pick up a bottle this weekend. Is there someone you would recommend? I'm not far away from you in Frankston. Cheers.

Yonnee
7th December 2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks Yonnee. Yeah, it can run gas as well but figure I should use the flux cored spool that came with it for practice. Now that you mention it I might pick up a bottle this weekend. Is there someone you would recommend? I'm not far away from you in Frankston. Cheers.

Not far indeed. :2tsup:

I have an account at BOC Dandenong, and even though I don't spend alot there, I get a discount with anything they stock. Wire, I discovered my MIG can hold the 5Kg spools, heaps more cost effective than those little 1Kg ones, and anti-splatter. Always buy 2 at a time. It's a PITA when one runs out without a back-up!

BOC might not be for you, so just ring around and see what you can get for your money.

Y.

WardloW
6th January 2010, 11:29 PM
So I finally finished the screen. In true DIY style, it took a little longer than expected but I'm reasonably happy with the result.

I primed and painted it using Wattyl Killrust spraypacks and although it looks the part I'm not sure the finish will last. It's been two weeks since I sprayed the main uprights yet still the paint is soft. Is it possible to achieve a good quality, durable finish without powdercoating?

Also, before starting I picked up an E sized bottle of Argoshield light from BOC. They're price was reasonable and Dandenongs not so far from home. Thanks Yon.

Yonnee
7th January 2010, 10:14 PM
...but I'm reasonably happy with the result.

Reasonably happy!!???:oo: Mate, I'd be stoked if that was my first home welding project.

Top job! :2tsup:

I primed and painted it using Wattyl Killrust spraypacks and although it looks the part I'm not sure the finish will last. It's been two weeks since I sprayed the main uprights yet still the paint is soft. Is it possible to achieve a good quality, durable finish without powdercoating?
I wouldn't be too worried just yet. Some paints can take ages for all the solvents to evaporate and cure properly. The problem you'll have is the cable ties digging into the finish and making it look crap.
But it is a welding shield, and it will get dirty...

Also, before starting I picked up an E sized bottle of Argoshield light from BOC. They're price was reasonable and Dandenongs not so far from home. Thanks Yon.

:2tsup: Glad to be of assistance.

jatt
7th January 2010, 10:42 PM
Looks better than mine. Didnt put wheels on mine cause cause bits of cotton have a habit of tangling up in casters, rendering them useless after a little while.

I would leave it out in the sun for a bit. Seems to help wih my enanel paint jobs, especially if I cheat a bit and spray a bit heavy.

thesupervisor
8th January 2010, 12:15 AM
looks great i just sold my 180c to upgrade to the 250c
the 180c was a great machine it shold last you forever too

WardloW
8th January 2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks Guys. The paints only been curing in the shed so I'll leave it out for a few days and see if it hardens.

I think my next job will be a cart for the welder and gas bottle. I'm going to convert a hand trolley that I picked up from Super Cheap on the weekend. It's the perfect width and was cheaper than buying the wheels and axle separately. I'm just in the process of designing it on CAD and will post some pics in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers.

Yonnee
10th January 2010, 12:50 PM
Just a thought for anyone contemplating one of these. Get a few links of some 6mm chain, cut the links in half and weld them around the inside of your frame to correspond with the eyelets in the screen.
Not that there's anything wrong with WardloW's... :;

A tip for your welding cart.
I assume you'll be putting castors at one end? I'd suggest something of reasonable diameter, say 3 - 4 inches minimum. Mine originally was made from a converted office filing trolley with little 1-1/2" castors, and it had a mind of its own when being wheeled around the shed. Never wanted to go in a straight line, and forget it rolling over anything like extension leads, etc.

Now I have a modified shopping trolley base. (Too badly damaged for the local supermarket to be bothered with fixing, so I picked it up for the right price.) With the size castors it now has, it moves around the shed with ease. :2tsup: