PDA

View Full Version : Forgive me.

RETIRED
9th December 2009, 09:40 PM
Forgive me O great spindle turner(real turning) in lathe heaven for I have sinned against ye and seek divine guidance.

The other almighty Gods called Decimal Currency and Risk of Poverty have lured me unto the strange world of faceplate turning.

They have strange ways these Heathens and talk in strange tongues.

They speak of Faceplates and chucks, Of tools with names like Deep fluted Bowl Turning Gouges that look nothing like a gouge as we know it, of Ci1 and Ci0 roughers, of scrapers that have a flat or round nose, of negative rake scrapers that look remarkably like a return to the dark ages of real turning where they were known as square ground chisels, of deep hollowing tools with a gooses neck ( there must be a lot of neckless geese around), of Oland tools and strange bits of metal with all manner of bits tacked on with glue or weld.

Manufacturers who wrought these strange bits of metal all claim their tools work better than other ironmongers claiming that their angles and grinds work best.

Such confusion for a poor serf who only knows the clean cut of a well ground skew.

They do not hold timber as it is meant to be held with the grain running parallel to the bed but suspended by the aforesaid faceplate or chuck by one end with the grain running at right angles to the bed thereby making the tailstock redundant. They all use different methods of attaining this feat, claiming that their way is best. More confusion for this poor serf.

In some cases they have even made the bed (the basis of which all good real lathes are made) redundant, relying instead on a contraption that resembles the devils fork to support the tool rest which are odd shapes bent at angles or shaped like an "S".

They also use strange potions with names like cyanocrylate and Super glue. This liquid must surely be the work of the devil for if one is not careful it mists up the glasses making one see spots before ones eyes or worse cause thy fingers or other parts of the anatomy to be stuck unto the work or each other.

Even I, the greatest exponent of pure crisp details only experienced by using real tools (gouge and chisel for the infidels) am being lured by having a new altar at which to practise this strange art. A VB36, such a fine, noble looking masculine machine. However the ruler of the Treasury and Holder of The Purse has given the altar the thumbs down for the forseeable future.

Real turning is so much easier with a chisel and a gouge. What wondrous shapes and clean crisp lines one can achieve with such simple graceful tools but I fear that the gods Decimal Currency and Risk of Poverty may win.

Your humble servant.

wheelinround
9th December 2009, 09:52 PM
Purchase away my son for the gates of heaven shall be opened to you ( I just did a google search)

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/products/large/vb36_l.jpg

Enfield Guy
9th December 2009, 09:53 PM
Get a hold of yourself man and stay off the drugs!!

DJ’s Timber
9th December 2009, 09:53 PM
Are you feeling OK ?

Longest post I've seen from you :o

artme
9th December 2009, 10:19 PM
Good!! Now you know how the rest of us feel!:D:D:D:p:p

tea lady
9th December 2009, 10:51 PM
Are you feeling OK ?

Longest post I've seen from you :o:rofl:

Frank&Earnest
9th December 2009, 11:43 PM
... and what an articulate, poignant description of his glimpse of Paradise Lost! :)

How much one of these beasts delivered and custom set :oo: here would cost? The price looks reasonable for the old country. Probably because their economy is still in deep do-do? :p

Evan Pavlidis
10th December 2009, 02:46 AM
If the gods punish you by giving you a lathe, then you've sinned well. :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
10th December 2009, 04:54 AM
Whatever it is that your smoking, , I don't want any part of it :o:;

Grumpy John
10th December 2009, 07:43 AM
I think all the white paint and open space in 's newly tidied up shed has fried his brain :rolleyes: :D.

hughie
10th December 2009, 08:50 AM
A waxing lyrical, most worthy of an acolyte of The Most High Spindle Turner.

Poignant,humble and heart felt. Seeking a compassionate dispensation for greater understanding into the mysteries of the Black Art of spun wood vessels.

Surely such an offering by this humble penitent shall not go unrewarded.

Rum Pig
10th December 2009, 09:00 AM
I think he has been on the Rum:doh:

jefferson
10th December 2009, 09:31 AM
I think he has been on the Rum:doh:

No, has not been on the rum. He's been working redgum. :D:D

And, I suspect, he's "learning" that you get a lot more tear-out on cranky redgum when turning platters rather than table legs. "Real turning" = less scraping and less sanding.

And there is another wise saying: It's easier to seek forgiveness than ask permission.

So go for it, and order the VB36. :wink:

KenW
10th December 2009, 09:38 AM
, remember real turning (spindle) takes skill and practice. Anybody can faceplate turn. If you have trouble, there will be a fancy tool available that requires no skill or practice to use. Ask any grasshopper.

Ozkaban
10th December 2009, 09:44 AM
I see you've discovered the perils of superglue exposure.

Don't worry. Turn on the dusty, open all blast gates, leave the shed for an hour and all will return to normal.

Oh, and leave the cap on the bottle :D

arose62
10th December 2009, 12:01 PM
What next? A group buy for VB36's ??

Ozkaban
10th December 2009, 12:09 PM
What next? A group buy for VB36's ??

Sounds good! if we all chip in we might be able to get one :D:D:D

Might be some fights over how gets to keep it though :rolleyes:

Rum Pig
10th December 2009, 12:10 PM
No, has not been on the rum. He's been working redgum. :D:D

And, I suspect, he's "learning" that you get a lot more tear-out on cranky redgum when turning platters rather than table legs. "Real turning" = less scraping and less sanding.
Red gum isn't Bundy new red bottle meant to be filtered through red gum:think:

And there is another wise saying: It's easier to seek forgiveness than ask permission.
I think I have herd that before somewhere just can't put my finger on it best have some more Rum I know it will come to me:U:U:U

So go for it, and order the VB36. :wink:

Good luck :2tsup::2tsup:

Jim Carroll
10th December 2009, 01:09 PM
All is forgiven order away and suffer the consequences later.

Just make sure the kitchen is finished before the lathe arrives.

Waldo
10th December 2009, 01:42 PM
Are you feeling OK ?

Longest post I've seen from you :o

I think has stuffed up and meant to put this in a Friday thread instead. :D

Calm
10th December 2009, 01:53 PM
.......bullshyt...............cr&p..on..........

The other almighty Gods called Decimal Currency and Risk of Poverty have lured me unto the strange world of faceplate turning.
.....more ..... bullshyt......................cr&p on...........

Even I, the greatest exponent of pure crisp details only experienced by using real tools (gouge and chisel for the infidels) am being lured by having a new altar at which to practise this strange art. A VB36, such a fine, noble looking masculine machine. However the ruler of the Treasury and Holder of The Purse has given the altar the thumbs down for the forseeable future.

.....even more......bullshyt.....cr&p on................

So i see you have planned this to perfection. lets look at this logically now.

1./ you need a good lathe to do this "new" face plate turning stuff.

2/. you (very cleverly) requested permission to spend about $15,000 on a lathe to do so.

3./ The Boss (sometimes referred to as "the other half" or SWMBO or even "darling" or some such term of endearment) said NO (or similar meaning words - maybe in another language other than the queens)

Stay with me here - you have been sooooooooooo clever so far - you asked for the most expensive lathe on the market - deep down "the BOSS" really would like you to have one, she understands you need it to make money - so i see you are in the prime position

BUY A STUBBY - you wont get the most expensive lathe but you will get the best lathe and at half the price - The BOSS wont even question it - and if this new phase (face plate turning) doesnt last it can be used for spindle turning or you may decide to go on the road and do wood shows/exhibitions etc.

Go on you know you want to - just go and get the STUBBY - you will never regret it. (trust me):D:D

Cheers

hughie
10th December 2009, 01:55 PM
What next? A group buy for VB36's

Now that would be interesting.

I would like to order 55 VB36 lathes....how soon can you deliver them? Before Christmas? :U

NeilS
10th December 2009, 02:45 PM
Very droll, . Quite made my day!

Surely VB Manufacturing need a worthy agent/demonstrator here in Australia to promote their product, which would require them to have a VB available for use at all times....:U

Frank&Earnest
10th December 2009, 04:21 PM

2/. you (very cleverly) requested permission to spend about $15,000 on a lathe to do so.

Based on 's other lathe, Calm, a Stubby to him would be only good for turning pens.:D

Jokes aside, would less than 4000 pounds really turn into $15000? Seems a bit rich. After all is only a 3hp motor with a very solid base. Bet you could have it custom engineered here for less than that. Might not look that pretty, but would be the faceplate version of 's lathe.

Calm
10th December 2009, 05:30 PM
Based on 's other lathe, Calm, a Stubby to him would be only good for turning pens.:D

Jokes aside, would less than 4000 pounds really turn into $15000? Seems a bit rich. After all is only a 3hp motor with a very solid base. Bet you could have it custom engineered here for less than that. Might not look that pretty, but would be the faceplate version of 's lathe.

From another thread - Used one of these today.

I'm wanting to get a bulk order for the VB36 together to make the shipping costs cheaper. I reckon if we can order enough to fill a shipping container we should be able to keep the landed cost of the lathe to around $12,000.:o Anyone interested?:)

Sorry i was a bit high

Cheers

bobsreturn2003
10th December 2009, 05:54 PM
Does this mean he is too scared to get one? One small step is all it takes ,then duck and weave when found out. Works for me:q . Had a lathe in the shed for 6 weeks before i was caught out:doh:. then that old thing bought it around 2 months ago . change subject carefully :Dand its all over ??? Have looked at the vb lathe for years and like the stubby, wish to try before i buy so please get delivered to my place first and will foreward on when the coast is clear . Good luck looks like a good idea to me . Cheers Bob in the tropp:2tsup:o zone

rodent
10th December 2009, 07:36 PM
all right who put coffee in 's tea .

Allan at Wallan
10th December 2009, 08:54 PM
Crikey !

That post was longer than any I have seen on your lathe.

You have gone all funny on us.:2tsup:

Allan

RETIRED
10th December 2009, 09:02 PM
See what face plate turning does? It makes you verbose.:D:rolleyes:

tea lady
10th December 2009, 11:29 PM

3./ The Boss (sometimes referred to as "the other half" or SWMBO or even "darling" or some such term of endearment) said NO (or similar meaning words - maybe in another language other than the queens)

Stay with me here - you have been sooooooooooo clever so far - you asked for the most expensive lathe on the market - deep down "the BOSS" really would like you to have one, she understands you need it to make money - so i see you are in the prime position

BUY A STUBBY - you wont get the most expensive lathe but you will get the best lathe and at half the price - The BOSS wont even question it - and if this new phase (face plate turning) doesnt last it can be used for spindle turning or you may decide to go on the road and do wood shows/exhibitions etc.

Go on you know you want to - just go and get the STUBBY - you will never regret it. (trust me):D:D

Cheers

See what face plate turning does? It makes you verbose.:D:rolleyes:
:shutup1:

artme
10th December 2009, 11:37 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

artme
10th December 2009, 11:38 PM
, remember real turning (spindle) takes skill and practice. Anybody can faceplate turn. If you have trouble, there will be a fancy tool available that requires no skill or practice to use. Ask any grasshopper.

Is that so???:~:~

Ozkaban
11th December 2009, 08:38 AM

Touche Tea Lady :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: