PDA

View Full Version : Gun Case

pete152
20th August 2004, 04:06 PM
Gun Case

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
I am only new here and to building.
Does any one have plans or a site I could get some ideas for a shot gun carry case?
Thank you,
Peter

smidsy
20th August 2004, 07:08 PM
Hei Pete,
Welcome to the funny farm.
I just did a quick search on the forum and it doesn't look like there is any previous threads so you may want to do a google search - I would also search for guitar cases because the construction would be similiar with just the dimensions changed to suit the shottie.
Cheers
Paul

pete152
20th August 2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the reply.Yes i did a search as well and come up with nothing. :confused: I have tried google as well but with the same result.
That is a good idea about the guitar case,as they are similar dimensions.
Thanks again,
Peter

Shane Watson
20th August 2004, 08:37 PM
I made one, well it was and still is for a rifle not a shotgun, but a shot gun would fit.

Made it out of something....damn can't remember the name of the timber..its red, kinda very similar to red cedar.

You wanna buy it? I am going to sell the rifle soon so the case will become redundant....

Cheers

Shane Watson
20th August 2004, 08:44 PM
argh huh. it's redbean....

outback
20th August 2004, 08:44 PM
Wot sort of rifle is it?

Shane Watson
20th August 2004, 08:46 PM
and it only took me about 5mins to remember!!!

Shane Watson
20th August 2004, 08:50 PM
Wot sort of rifle is it?

one that goes BANG!! ;)

Its a CZ .22 with Bushnell trophy 6-18 x 40 scope. Only shot about 200 rounds all on the target range.

pete152
20th August 2004, 08:54 PM
Hello Shane ,
You sound like you have a memory like mine!!How much are you wanting for the case? We really wanted to try and make our own,as a sort of project(to keep me off the streets I suspect!!)
Keep the rifle mate ,do not let little johny howard ( • "I hate guns"
PM John Howard - 17/4/2002 - Radio 2GB Sydney)win. :mad:
What sort is it and what do you do hunt or target shooting ?
Peter

outback
20th August 2004, 08:56 PM
6-18 X 40 for a .22 seems a bit of an overkill to me, but hey, rifles are bit like tools, they are a personal thing.
I'm looking for another rifle at the moment but something which makes a bigger bang than a .22 :D

Ben from Vic.
20th August 2004, 09:51 PM
I'm looking for another rifle at the moment but something which makes a bigger bang than a .22 :D

How 'bout .50? :D :D :D

vsquizz
20th August 2004, 10:42 PM
Wot sort of rifle is it?
Its a Wabbit Wifle of course:D

outback
21st August 2004, 12:26 PM
Reminds me of the joke, What is a wok?

It's something yoy thwo at wabbits when ya don't have a wifle.

.50 maybe just a little to much bang for my buck. :D

soundman
21st August 2004, 09:35 PM
If you plan to actualy use the case to carry the gun arround in, the first place to look is the qld.gov site check out the weapons act & regulations it will give you some specific information about building a case that conforms.

basicaly it should be metal or have equavalent security value, be lockable & preferably be able to be chained down.

I build equipment cases & recently considered marketing a compliant "nice" gun case.
If you are interested send me a personal message & we can chat.
have access to heaps of proprietry case hardware.

Unfortunately a timber gun case these days would just be an ornament unless it had some hiden strength.

cheers

glock40sw
21st August 2004, 10:01 PM
G'day All.
.50 is a teeny weeny bit of overkill for bunnies, isn't it Ben. :D

I really like the 25/06 with a fluted bull barrel. 36X scope.
Head shot bunnies consistently out to 500 yards (measured) from a bipod.

great crow buster too.

Hooroo
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

Shane Watson
21st August 2004, 11:22 PM
If you plan to actualy use the case to carry the gun arround in, the first place to look is the qld.gov site check out the weapons act & regulations it will give you some specific information about building a case that conforms.

basicaly it should be metal or have equavalent security value, be lockable & preferably be able to be chained down.

Unfortunately a timber gun case these days would just be an ornament unless it had some hiden strength.

cheers

Are you talking about a gun case or a gun safe? Either way as I understand the weapons act gun safes can be made of either material and depending on its weight determines if it needs to be fixed or freestanding. Though it also depends on what class of weapon your storing in said safe.
I can't recall any reference to gun case's but you can buy them made in plastic, timber, metal or cloth materials.
Now I class a gun case as what you use to carry the gun from your registered storage address to where ever it is you might be taking said gun, be it the range or the field or local gunsmith.

soundman
26th August 2004, 11:40 PM
As I said check the act & regulations. they can be downloaded off the qld.gov site from the legeslation page.

The act is quite specific
from memory the wording is " shal be made of metal ... or a material that the approving officer deems is of equavent strength.

also if carried in a vehicle & not in a lockable compartment (boot) the case must be securely locked to the vehicle body.

there might be plenty of perple carrying guns arround in all sorts of things but are they compliant.

Also from memory you are not suposed to carry or store the gun & the amunition in the same container, unless there is a seperate lockable compartment for the amunition.

I think my memory is correct.

Basicly a tin box is compliant!!!

My local locksmith has a "gunsafe" standing in his showroom, its a tin locker. His comment is " it' compliant but I won't recomend it or sell you one"

cheers

DanP
26th August 2004, 11:59 PM
In Victoria it can be a metal or hardwood container of solid construction. If it weighs less than 200 kg it must be bolted to the floor or wall.

Dan

Ben from Vic.
27th August 2004, 12:38 AM
DanP is (of course) correct about the storage, and for normal transportation basicly anything will do.

Even a soft carry bag.

I don't believe that there are any reg's about transportation containers.

Only common (?) sense is expected.

Ben.

DanP
27th August 2004, 01:01 AM
Of course I'm correct. :rolleyes:

I've never come across any Vic Legislation relating to the secure carriage of firearms. A mate of mine used to go out to properties to shoot on his motorbike. He was told that he had to carry it covered (In a soft cover or case) and slung over his back. Would've been interesting having him pass you on the freeway. :eek:

Dan

Shane Watson
27th August 2004, 07:54 AM
Taken from the Qld Police Website.

General Information - Weapons Licencing
How do I need to store my weapons?
Firearms must be kept unloaded other than when being used to shoot, except where the firearm is being used under a security licence.

When not in a person’s physical possession, a firearm/weapon must be stored unloaded in a locked container with the bolt removed or the action broken.

For category D, H or R weapons, the container must be made of solid steel and be bolted to the frame or floor of a permanent building.
For any other weapons, the container must be made of solid steel or timber and if it weighs less that 150kg, be securely fixed to the frame or floor of a permanent building.

The container also must have a sturdy lock and be kept locked when the weapon is not in use.

Away from secure storage facility
If a person is visiting Queensland or unable to reasonably return their weapon to their safe storage facility, all weapons, when not in their physical possession, must be stored unloaded in either:

a securely closed container with the bolt removed or with a trigger lock fitted; or
a locked container.
The container must be either:

out of sight in a locked room of a permanent building; or
locked in the boot of a vehicle; or
out of sight, locked in a vehicle that does not have a boot.

In or on vehicles
If the weapon is in a vehicle, it must be either:

locked in the boot; or
locked in a metal container fixed to the vehicle; or
in a securely closed container that is out of sight.
The metal container or anything attached to it must not suggest a weapon is inside.

Alternate safe storage measures
An application can be made in writing to an authorised officer to take a particular safety measure for the safe storage of weapons other than those listed above.

The authorised officer must be satisfied that the proposed safety measure gives at least the same level of safety and security as the replaced measure.

There are additional storage requirements for collectors, dealers and other business premises.

How do I make a firearm temporarily inoperable?
Removing a firearm's bolt, breech block, firing pin or other integral part of the firing mechanism and securely storing it separately from the firearm renders it temporarily inoperable.

If the firearm's bolt, breech block, firing pin or other integral part of the firing mechanism cannot be removed, the firearm's trigger can be secured by a trigger lock. The lock's key must be securely stored separately from the firearm.

How is a firearm made permanently inoperable?
If the firing pin can be removed as a separate item, the pin must be removed and the end of the pin hole nearest the chamber must be welded closed.

If the firing pin cannot be removed as a separate item, the pin must be ground or cut so it cannot strike a round of ammunition in the chamber. The chamber must be made incapable of taking a round of ammunition by welding a steel insert into the end of the chamber or welding a steel rod vertically across the chamber.

The firing mechanism must be immobilised by welding its internal components together and to the trigger.

You will need to get a certificate from an approved armourer that certifies your firearm is permanently inoperable.

pete152
27th August 2004, 12:46 PM
"locked in the boot; or
locked in a metal container fixed to the vehicle; or
in a securely closed container that is out of sight.
The metal container or anything attached to it must not suggest a weapon is inside"
Gidday,
This is the part that concerns the carrying of fire arms."In a securely closed container that is out of sight"
So a wooden carry case that is lockable would be fine.
Peter

DaveInOz
27th August 2004, 02:39 PM
This is the part that concerns the carrying of fire arms."In a securely closed container that is out of sight"
So a wooden carry case that is lockable would be fine.
Peter

So would tupperware, and it would keep your weapon fresh too! :D

SHAME on all the people that shoot the fluffy little bunnies. :mad: What a waste of a bullet, get them in the spotlight catch them live then kill them for dog food as you need. :D

pete152
27th August 2004, 02:42 PM
Can you buy tupperware that big or is it a special order?
Peter