PDA

View Full Version : The downside of being a "Cellar Dweller"

Ed Reiss
10th December 2009, 04:59 AM
Had a pretty heavy rainfall over the evening hours...kinda' leaked into the cellar and tried to drown my lathe and about half the shop :~:~:~

bowl-basher
10th December 2009, 07:41 AM
:((:((:(( OOPS :((:((:((
that will take a bit of cleaning but the up side is the floor will be clean and dust free

Woodwould
10th December 2009, 07:48 AM
That's too bad. You should keep a couple of thirsty dogs for such events.

Rum Pig
10th December 2009, 09:08 AM
That is just a Meir puddle you need to visit Darwin in the wet season it is not unusual to 100mm in 24 hours I forget the exact figure but I think it is 1500mm in less the 6 months on average:C:C

I'm glad it was no worse for you dealing with floods is no fun:no::2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
10th December 2009, 09:17 AM
Ed, something to clean up, yeah it looks like water.
Oh well, you have more luck than my dear girl penfriend in Minnesota, she has to shoveling snow every four hour or so, to keep it up with a snow blizzard.
Ad

Gil Jones
10th December 2009, 09:18 AM
Hope all of your toys survived the deluge.

Ozkaban
10th December 2009, 09:40 AM
Excellent opportunity to get out the waterstones and sharpen your chisels :U

What an absolute pain. Hope it clears up soon without any damage.:no:

Cheers,
Dave

robyn2839
10th December 2009, 09:53 AM
have the same problem with heavy rain, really is a PITA when it happens, this particular time we had nearly 100 ml in a matter of 4 hours.....bob

hughie
10th December 2009, 11:20 AM
Hmm, not good. If it gets real bad you may have to fit a sump and a pump.

Then on the other hand you may have a real good argument for a topside shop :U :2tsup:.

"Think of the cost dear, if I have to replace all my equipment, due to flooding. Its all this global warming."

:happyb:

But for me, it may not happen as we're on a smallish hill.

Texian
10th December 2009, 12:47 PM
Ed, Looks like your ship/shop needs a bilge pump and maybe some more oakum between the planks. Hope nothing got ruined.

Ed Reiss
10th December 2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all the sympathy guys :roll: :D...now to follow up on Hughies idea, I need you all to write the LOML about the advantages of having a topside shop, whoops meant to say shed, so get those pens out and drop her a note (she doesn't read e-mails) :no:

Well, all said, it took a few hours to shop vac most of the water out and set up a couple of fans to air the soaked concrete out...will run the fans overnite, should be pretty much OK by morning. Next comes finding out where the water was coming in at:~

Life sure get interesting at times!

wally peat
10th December 2009, 01:35 PM
Yep, when the rain comes down, it soon goes sideways. If the tide is going in the opposite direction and you live near the sea, you get to pull down every machine you own and rustproof them. (after the water goes away)

I've got shares in Lanotech :D

NeilS
10th December 2009, 02:52 PM
Have had 18" of water in my cyclone blower/filter bunker, and the blower motor is bolted in at about 20" from the floor. So, have done a bit of rapid bailing out from time to time. Not fun.

Commiserations, Ed.

thefixer
10th December 2009, 03:59 PM
Anybody wanna but a cheap bilge pump?:p:p

tea lady
10th December 2009, 04:44 PM
For my little puddles that happen in my shed I just shoveled the sawdust I swept up yesterday back onto the floor. Soaked up the water and made for nice dustless sweepign too.:cool: Mightn't work with 18" of water thought Neil.:C

Allan at Wallan
10th December 2009, 08:56 PM
What's wrong with a bit of "wet turning"
... it is supposed to be real easy ... so they say.:D

Allan

artme
10th December 2009, 11:45 PM
Not good Ed,and all the others. I guess it could be worse.

Poor Buggers down this end have lost entire houses and belongings with the torrential rain that has been going on for weeks.

Christos
11th December 2009, 12:02 AM
That is not good to see your machines in a puddle.

Grumpy John
11th December 2009, 10:53 AM
On the plus side, you might get some nice spalting going on in some of your blanks :p :D.

Ed Reiss
11th December 2009, 01:01 PM
On the plus side, you might get some nice spalting going on in some of your blanks :p :D.

...yea, but a spalted table saw isn't:no::no::no:

jefferson
12th December 2009, 09:28 AM
Like the guys said, not a great situation for you, Ed.

Why do you guys in the States go underground for anyway? Is it a space issue?

Anyway, hope you saved your gear from rust.

KenW
12th December 2009, 10:28 AM
Ed, looks like quite a mess. Look on the bright side, you can't fall off the roof fixing your water problem. There are some disadvantages to an above ground workshop.

Ed Reiss
12th December 2009, 01:25 PM
Right you are Ken...there's a silver lining to every cloud :U

Jeff, not really a space issue, when we lived in Kentucky I had a metal building (shed :D) that was larger than the house we lived in, but that was in the days that I was not only doing turning full time but also had another job and that translated to having the bucks for that lifestyle. When we bought our home here in Jersey (minus a garage or other outbuilding), I was already on disability and the salary the LOML was making wasn't exactly that of a CEO, so the only place to set up was the basement.

So when we win the lotto...Hawaii here we come and gonna' have an "upstairs" shed!!!!