PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium pen

munruben
10th December 2009, 09:23 AM
Have been watching some of the pens John (gawdelpus) has been showing recently and it inspired me to try something myself a bit different. This slimline is made from aluminium tubing bought from Bunnings ($4.80 for a length) I cut 2 lengths exactly same size as brass tubes for the slimline and treated the tubes same as making the bullet pen with black shrink tubing on each end of both brass tubes. Glued the tubes in place with 5 minute Epoxy and spent about a couple of minutes turning down the ends of the tubes to accommodate the clip and the pen nib part so they fit flush.
Finshed by sanding throught the grades to 12000m/m to achieve a high shine. Picture doesn't show the finish off too well, It looks better in the flesh.
I applied a coat of Wattyl copper/Brass lacquer to presereve the finish and it seems to have worked well. Minimum work rerquired on this pen and with a little more care and taking a bit more time would be a very elegant pen in appearance.
Unfortuneately I didn't have a complete kit of one colour components so I used a gold centre band but it adds to the appearance of the pen.. I call it "A touch of gold"

You could finish the pen in a brushed aluminium if you didn't sand it to a high lustre finish with the micro mesh. Will be interesting to see if the lacquer will stand the test of time on aluminium. The pen is a good weight and doesn't feel too light.

Sorry about the quality of the picture but you all know I am not the best photographer in the world. :)

Ozkaban
10th December 2009, 09:26 AM
Nice work :2tsup: contrasts nicely with the kit too.

I've been thinking we should have a 'Do something you've never done before Challenge', but people are beating me to it!

Cheers,
Dave

Resination
10th December 2009, 09:53 AM
Aluminum is fun to turn. I used a solid rod of 6160 to make a sierra. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Next is the brass for you to try...

Rum Pig
10th December 2009, 10:04 AM
Looks good well done:2tsup::2tsup:

Loverly grain pattern:U

munruben
10th December 2009, 10:21 AM
Loverly grain pattern:UMatched up well eh? :D

dj_pnevans
10th December 2009, 10:42 AM
Job well done John.
David

MBUMIK
10th December 2009, 10:49 AM
out of the box, thats what i like

well done

MIK

wheelinround
10th December 2009, 11:14 AM
:rolleyes: So Bunnies now sell pen blanks

Liz was so looking forward to finally getting her gold band John :no: not now :U

Looks good John might scratch easy

Stainless Steel next:;

munruben
10th December 2009, 11:20 AM
Liz was so looking forward to finally getting her gold band John :no: not now :U

I'm sure Aluminium is for our next wedding anniversary:D

AUSSIE
10th December 2009, 11:28 AM
John-I like it.I never know what you are going to try next:2tsup:

gawdelpus
10th December 2009, 12:35 PM
Yep ,got some people thinking on alternate lines hehe, that looks good , I did one from 5/16 " brass tube some time back to knock about my workshop ,what else would a fitter have in his toolbox lol.Got some more in my mind to try when I get some time ,needs to be simple and repeatable ,and able to be made by most penturners if they desire to. Well done on your side step hehe ,cheers ~ John :2tsup::2tsup:

munruben
10th December 2009, 01:57 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments.

PenTurner
10th December 2009, 08:33 PM
Very clever and novel indeed, looks good too! Amos:2tsup::)

ciscokid
10th December 2009, 09:47 PM
Very interesting. I like the finished result. Wish I were as creative as some of you folks are. The gold band does indeed add a visual interest halfway down the pen. I think it would have been too plain without it. Nicely done. :)

artme
11th December 2009, 12:20 AM
Well Mr. Mayor you have outdone yourself!! Wonderful pen!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Best I get some lessons when I get back!:D:D:D

Simomatra
11th December 2009, 09:22 AM
Well done John

I have some aluminium blanks in stock so may just have to give it a go.

NewLondon88
11th December 2009, 12:09 PM
I've been thinking we should have a 'Do something you've never done before Challenge'

but I don't WANT to turn a straight slimline! :p

gawdelpus
11th December 2009, 12:16 PM
Hehe! And I am not ready to make a "perfect" pen yet either lol.

Ozkaban
11th December 2009, 01:55 PM

Hehe! And I am not ready to make a "perfect" pen yet either lol.

Fair call. I guess my 'never before trick' would be to make a pen on time :rolleyes:

NewLondon88
12th December 2009, 12:27 AM
I suppose I could try a CA finish without stripping it off and starting over three times..