PDA

View Full Version : Live Oak Burl Bowl

Gil Jones
11th December 2009, 05:11 AM
This piece was turned in July.
It was turned from a green, very gnarly and misshapen, chunk of Live Oak Burl.
The dimensions are 228.6mm (9") high by 266.7mm (10.5") diameter, and is finished with 4 coats of Watco Oil and buffed a little bit.
To give y'all an idea how the turning progressed, here are several pics.
Thanks for looking, and offering your opinions.
Cheers,
Gil

artme
11th December 2009, 08:04 AM
Very skilfull on your part Gil.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I'M just contemplating all the wasted pen blanks!!:C:C

hughie
11th December 2009, 08:32 AM
:2tsup:

Looks great,impressive burl

Ozkaban
11th December 2009, 08:53 AM
There would have been some hairy moments turning that one:o

The result is beautiful :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Grumpy John
11th December 2009, 10:42 AM
Well done spotting a potential bowl in what is probably the ugliest piece of wood I've ever seen. Most people would have tossed it on the fire, or cut it up for pen blanks :p. Very nice result, kudos to you :2tsup: greenie launched.

Texian
11th December 2009, 12:58 PM
Very gnarly.

Ed Reiss
11th December 2009, 01:03 PM
gives a new meaning to turning air :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Paul39
11th December 2009, 01:30 PM
WOW! That is lovely. I like stumps, crotches, and crazy grain.

Gil Jones
11th December 2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks for taking the time to comment on this piece.
John, I had a good bit of fun figuring out what to do with it, and even more in the turning. Yep, there was a fair amount of turning "air" on this one, and more than a few interesting moments what with that machete whizzing around on one side. I reckon you are correct, Artme, I prolly did waste a fair amount of pen stock, but there was a good bit of spongy, rotted wood on parts of the inside, so maybe only 10 or 12 pens when into the shop vac.
Cheers,
Gil

Cliff Rogers
11th December 2009, 05:13 PM
:2tsup:

GoGuppy
11th December 2009, 05:23 PM
Great result..:2tsup:

Tony Morton
11th December 2009, 05:30 PM
Hi Gil

Thats awsome The skill the shape and the finished product. Did you have a vision of what the finished article would look like before you started, you have certainly read the timber well congratulations.

Cheers Tony

PS Can you make another I'd like a matching pair.

Sawdust Maker
11th December 2009, 09:21 PM
Very impressive
I think I might have thrown that out at the start, just goes to show that that one should experiment just to see what might be hidden inside

and I've just held a small wake for the pen blanks that might have been :D

Chipman
11th December 2009, 10:11 PM
That is beautiful:2tsup:

How did you sand it/buff it? Stationary or spinning:oo:?

Chipman

Gil Jones
12th December 2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks, y'all.
No visions, Tony, just started out between centers trying to make the best use of (like John said) an ugly chunk of burl. Once it started to look reasonable I glued on a 77mm (3") waste block for a faceplate, and started to clean out the inside. Don't have another equally ugly chunk to turn another one like it.
Chipman, the sanding and buffing was done prolly 1/2 and 1/2 spinning and still. I was just glad it held together with so many bark inclusions in it.
Gil

skot
12th December 2009, 08:26 AM
Gil,

What chisels did you use for the shaping of the outside

Roughing Gouge first?...and how did you get the courage to place the chisels anywhere near those flying protruding pieces:)

Gil Jones
12th December 2009, 08:54 AM
Skot, I used 1/2", 3/4", and 7/8" bowl gouges for most of it. Also, a Don Pencil Scorpion tool was used inside and outside (rather like an Oland tool). http://www.donpencil.com/SCORPION.htm
I doubt that courage had anything to do with it, after-all it is just woodturning with heavy dose of situational awareness so you keep all your appendages where they belong.
Cheers,
Gil

edit:Thanks, Ern.

rsser
13th December 2009, 06:01 AM
Fine work Gil.

Manuka Jock
13th December 2009, 01:07 PM
Grand piece from an ugly beginning :2tsup:

Gil,
is that a vacuum chuck , a doughnut chuck , or a combo chuck ? :rolleyes:

Gil Jones
13th December 2009, 05:11 PM
Hey, Jock,
It is a homemade Donut Chuck. The top of the piece (obviously) could not sit flat on the Donut Chuck drive plate, so I cut a 9" long (228.6mm) piece of 6" (152.4mm) PVC pipe to support the work away from the drive plate of the chuck. Used 2mm thick rubber sheet to protect the inside of the bowl from the PVC, and also between the PVC and the drive plate to keep it all from slipping. The Donut Chuck drive plate is 20" (508mm) diameter. Worked okay, but it sure is a large mass spinning.
Gil