PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Table Saw

Dion N
20th August 2004, 05:40 PM
I'm looking to replace my Triton Workcentre and planer attachment (thus alienating most of the Triton fanatics! :D ) with some sort of table saw (possibly the Dyco woodworker as I'm also interested in a jointer, but I don't really need the router as I intend on keeping the Triton router table). At present, I'm looking to develop a set of criteria to measure various saws against. So far, I'm come up with the following:

1. Weight and Portability - It has to share the garage with a router table, bench and motorbike! So I guess that it will have to be a contractor style as opposed to a cabinet saw. I have a mobile lifestyle so the removalists have to be able to move it!

2. Accuracy (primarily the ripping fence) What should I be looking for here?

3. Induction Motor (don't want to annoy the neighbours!) What is the noise difference like compared to a non-induction sawbench motor?

4. Ripping Capacity / (maybe the ability to cut panel/sheets at a later stage ie can I retro fit some sort of sliding carriage at a later stage?) Preferably up 45 degree titlting arbour

5.Dust Extraction - 'nuff said

6. Cutting Capacity - I am thinking 10" is the way to go

7. Cost<$1000 ( somewhat negotiable)

8. Durability/Quality - the Chief Designer insists that I get a saw that will last a lifetime (or at least the next twenty years - she has said that this is the last "upgrade" permitted!.... :( we'll see... ;) )

The saw is going to be used for the next few years to build weekend projects (some cabinetry, slab furniture) and then a house in 5-10 years time.

With all that in mind, I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for a saw that might fit the criteria above.

A quick perusal of the Timbecon and Carbatec catalogues made me think that the following saws might be suitable

Carbatec
Delta 10" Contractors Saw DE-36-650
Carbatec TJZ10G
Carbatec MJ2325B
Carbatec CT-10ST (sliding saw - not sure what slides here, maybe the left extension table slides?)

Also - Carbatec has a Scheppach 10" circular saw bench with a small sliding table and panel cutting attachment, but the top is galvanised steel as opposed to cast iron - is this a problem for accuracy?

At Timbecon, the Sherwood MJ2325 looks OK.

Any and all advice welcome!!

PS - I can't afford a Jet, so please no gloating over how good your Jet is!

craigb
20th August 2004, 09:07 PM
7. Cost<$1000 ( somewhat negotiable)

Is there anything else you'd like ?

As they say in that movie "The Castle'; tell him he's dreamin' !

Sorry Dion but that's the fact of the matter

Craig

Dion N
21st August 2004, 08:43 AM
Is there anything else you'd like ?

As they say in that movie "The Castle'; tell him he's dreamin' !

Sorry Dion but that's the fact of the matter

Craig

Craig

What features am I dreaming about for $1000? What features should I expect for that sort of money? It seems that an induction motor and a cast iron table are available for that price

Iain
21st August 2004, 02:14 PM
CT10 ST, when they come in.
I am waiting on one and have been told they are due in 'Late July'.
Still waiting but for $895 (or better) they are not a bad saw with a sliding table, albeit it only has a travel of 300mm.
1.5hp induction, belt drive and a good fence.
Relatively easy to move.

soundman
21st August 2004, 11:02 PM
cant answer all your questions but

induction motor
You know that ringing in your ears? yep? well that will go away when you get a bench with an induction motor.
dust extraction cane be arranges for mast benches.
sliding table.
cheaper alternative is a sled that runs in the mitre slot.(i use mine all the time)
Go & have a look at the generic contractors saw at carbatec before you go any further. At least it will give you some idea.

cheers