PDA

View Full Version : Pavlova

China
12th December 2009, 09:52 PM
Has anyone ever cooked a Pavlova in a spring form, if so how did it go

chippy 71
12th December 2009, 10:17 PM
Has anyone ever cooked a Pavlova in a spring form, if so how did it go

Asked LOML and she asked why would you cook it in a spring form as there are problems associated with doing it that way.
Her final comment was, an interesting exercise but it may not turn out the way you expect.:D

Colin.

tea lady
12th December 2009, 11:23 PM
:think: I guess you could do it. Maybe line the sides with greezed paper as well as the bottom. I cooked on once straight on the serving plate. solved the problem of how to get it out in one piece. :cool: (Must say I have only every cooked ONE. There are more important things in life. Like cheese cake.:D )

chippy 71
12th December 2009, 11:42 PM
:think: I guess you could do it. Maybe line the sides with greezed paper as well as the bottom. I cooked on once straight on the serving plate. solved the problem of how to get it out in one piece. :cool: (Must say I have only every cooked ONE. There are more important things in life. Like cheese cake.:D )

I have heard your cheese cake is in great demand, or was that Choccy Ripple Coronary Cake :D

Colin

China
12th December 2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have cooked many without any form of comtainer, what led me to ask the question was I saw ready baked Pavlova bases in the super market and they have clearly been baked in a some sort of container, they are flat up the sides just like a cake, I think I might try one just to see what happens I will let you all know either way.

chippy 71
12th December 2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have cooked many without any form of comtainer, what led me to ask the question was I saw ready baked Pavlova bases in the super market and they have clearly been baked in a some sort of container, they are flat up the sides just like a cake, I think I might try one just to see what happens I will let you all know either way.

China,

LOML says she would be interested to hear how you get on, she would like to know how the sides turn out.

Colin.

NCArcher
14th December 2009, 10:10 AM
:think: There are more important things in life. Like cheese cake.:D

Moderators..could we please get TL's post deleted. Imagine someone saying that cheesecake was more important than Pav. I laughed out loud when i first read it but then i thought...OMG, she's serious. We can't have this sort of prejudiced thinking on the Forums. It can't be allowed :~

(I feel i should add here that the best Pavs can be purchased from City Extra in Circular Quay who are open 24hrs a day. I may have,... i mean, I know someone who once had Pav for breakfast, lunch and dinner while staying at a hotel just up the road :roll:)

China, feel free to send all Pav experiments to me for thorough testing.

tea lady
14th December 2009, 10:31 AM
Moderators..could we please get TL's post deleted. Imagine someone saying that cheesecake was more important than Pav. I laughed out loud when i first read it but then i thought...OMG, she's serious. We can't have this sort of prejudiced thinking on the Forums. It can't be allowed :~

(I feel i should add here that the best Pavs can be purchased from City Extra in Circular Quay who are open 24hrs a day. I may have,... i mean, I know someone who once had Pav for breakfast, lunch and dinner while staying at a hotel just up the road :roll:)

China, feel free to send all Pav experiments to me for thorough testing.:D

Pav for breakfast might be taking it a bit far.:rolleyes: I have had cheese cake for brecky, but late enough so I could nearly call it morning tea.:cool::p

Ozkaban
14th December 2009, 10:37 AM
There are more important things in life. Like cheese cake.:D )
Sorry TL, you crossed the line :banned:
:ban2:

The supermarket ones are easy to get that shape.
1. Get an appropriate sized dinner plate out of cupboard
2. Get several cardboard boxes and trace circles around dinner plate.
3. Cut circles out
4. Glue circles together. Titebond III workes well.
5. Cover with so much cream that the only people who enjoy the pav are those who like cream own it's own :D

Pav's are far an away my favourite desert. My secret ingredient in them is using a Kenwood Chef to whip the egg whites :D If the eggs are fresh you can get vertical walls on the pav (at least when it goes *in* the oven) :2tsup:

I had an aunt who knew how much I liked them, so brought a supermarket one for me one family get together saying it was for me. Gutted - I had to eat some to save face :C

Cheers,
Dave

RufflyRustic
14th December 2009, 03:40 PM
so who makes their pavlova from scratch and who uses 'the egg' approach?

Me? I always make it from scratch, thanks to the foolproof recipe my Mum got from her Mum who got it from her Mum.......:U

cheers
Wendy

Ozkaban
14th December 2009, 03:44 PM
so who makes their pavlova from scratch and who uses 'the egg' approach?

Me? I always make it from scratch, thanks to the foolproof recipe my Mum got from her Mum who got it from her Mum.......:U

cheers
Wendy

A long time ago I used to use the egg... but then I discovered that it's exactly the same difficulty to make it from scratch, so I've never looked back.

I use the standard recipe in Commsense Cookery book - 4 egg whites, 1 cup castor sugar, 1/2 tbs corn flour and 1tsp vinegar (from memory at any rate - I usually get the cornflour and vinegar wrong :rolleyes:)

Is your recipe any different, Wendy?

Cheers,
Dave

RufflyRustic
14th December 2009, 04:10 PM
:oo: Mine says 8 oz caster sugar and the rest is exactly the same :D Obviously a very well tried and true recipe:2tsup::D

Cooking - A hot oven for 5 mins and then low and slow for the next hour or so, depending on how big it is?

What is the biggest pav you've cooked? I did a dozen egg whites once, took 2 hours to cook though :cool:

Ozkaban
14th December 2009, 04:26 PM
sounds rather similar! That's about half a schmeckle more sugar than I use :U

I did the dozen egg jobbie once - it completely fills the mixing bowl on a kenwood chef. Some would argue that it is actually overflowing!

The best pav I ever made was a 10 egg one. Preheated over to 150. Put pav in and dropped temp to 125. After 20 mins dropped it to 100-ish and cooker for another 75 mins. Let it cool in the oven for about 3 hours. Didn't sag at all! I've never managed to replicate it, though I have tried many times!

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
14th December 2009, 08:04 PM
Its a black art. I make a pretty good Coconut macaroon.:U Goes in the rather large biscuit barrel I have, and you don't die of heart failyar.:cool:

China
14th December 2009, 09:11 PM
Am I missing something, what is the egg approach?

Ozkaban
14th December 2009, 09:39 PM
This egg:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_V_-OyVzVsco/SXOp0QwY2KI/AAAAAAAAApU/RVplxjo-RfA/s400/Pavlova+is+Magic+015.jpg

tea lady
14th December 2009, 11:06 PM
Am I missing something, what is the egg approach?In the cake mix isle of super market. Plastic Egg containing pavlova mix. I think its powdered egg. Works quite well, and you don't have to work out what to do with 10 egg yolks.:cool:

Ozkaban
15th December 2009, 10:25 AM
...you don't have to work out what to do with 10 egg yolks.:cool:

Portugese Custard Tarts!

Another brilliant use is Bill Graingers Bread and Butter pudding (google it and you shall find...). Uses up a whole bunch in one go, and man it tastes good :D

China
15th December 2009, 09:53 PM
So that is the egg approach, My Grandmother was a top chef here in SA I wouldn't dare I can feel the lightning bolts now ( from up above or down below)

fubar
16th December 2009, 09:23 AM
the best thing about making pavs is the egg yolks that you get to use in chockie mousse this is SOP in our house

Luddite
16th December 2009, 07:50 PM

TeaLady,

Yes, my dear old Mum makes a great Pav....all crusty on the outside but soft and gooie on the inside. Irrestible when combined with cream and apssionfruit.

I am a hard core cheesecake tragic though, and have collected a number of recipes, all baked of course. If anybody would like to swap some recipes just let me know. I have a chocolate baked cheesecake that is excellent.

Any interest??

Anthony