PDA

View Full Version : Startingout

oakchip
13th December 2009, 12:13 PM
G'day all,
new member as of about 5mins ago, living in country southwest western australia.

I am just getting into a bit of woodturning and am a complete novice. I am wanting to buy an entry level lathe that will allow me to turn bowls and small to medium platters. I was looking at the Woodfast WM-305. I think the 300mm swing is probobly enough for me, but the spec's say the motor is only 1/2 hp. and I'm not sure that this is enough. Would appreciate to hear others opinions.

Cheers
oakchip.

rsser
13th December 2009, 03:39 PM
Welcome oakchip!

You could do it with half a horse, with patience, but one with all four legs would work better for 30cm platters etc.

stuffy
13th December 2009, 04:01 PM
Welcome, you're in the right part of the world to get into turning - as long as you don't get sick of jarrah! I agree with above, also see reply to previous string.

Gil Jones
13th December 2009, 04:42 PM
Hey, Oakchip, welcome aboard!!
For nearly a 12" swing, 1/2 hp is a bit sparse, but like Ern said, it'll work.
If possible, 1 hp would be better, in my opinion.
Cheers,
Gil

edit: Forgot to mention, try to find a lathe that has a low speed of less than 400rpm. The variable speed options are nice, but I have found that DC variable speed gives marginal torque at low rpm. AC variable speed is much better (but more$), and a Reeves drive (as in mechanical variable speed) is not so reliable unless it is very well engineered.

Jim Carroll
13th December 2009, 05:22 PM
The one advantage with the woodfast 1/2hp is that it is all there it is not a pony like some others on the market.

Use the right tools and sharp tools and a 12" bowl will not be a problem.

oakchip
13th December 2009, 05:29 PM
G'day all,
thanks for the replies. I thought the 1/2 hp might struggle.
Any tips on brands, size and model to achieve what I'm after would be appreciated.
Also, Carba-tec do a line of economy HSS turning chisels. Are these a good thing when starting out, or is it better to stick with better quality chisels,( say Hamlet ).

Cheers
oakchip

orificiam
13th December 2009, 07:11 PM
Hi Oakchip I got a Woodfast WM-305 about a Month ago From Jim.
and am very Happy with it.For 300mm platers Just keep the tool Sharp and light Cuts.
Cheers Tony.:)
PS.If I could change one Thing is the Damn Colour,Don't Like yellow.

artme
13th December 2009, 08:13 PM
G'day Oakchip and welcome to the addiction.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The Woodfast is a good lathe and from what Orifiiam and Jim say, would be very suitable.

As for tools, economy means lower, but not necessarily bad, quality. Seelct a few quality tools and go from there.