PDA

View Full Version : My pen for my PITH pen swap partner

Big Shed
13th December 2009, 01:08 PM
As said in my other thread, I was paired with Jeff Powell (workinforwood) in the 2009 IAP PITH pen swap, a rather daunting partner I must say!

I couldn't hope to compete with his imaginative scrolled blanks but at the same time I wanted to do something "outside the square", as I always try to do in any pen swap.

As it happened I was given some Gulami trading beads by a client to incorporate in to a pen for her daughter, so I decided to try and incorporate one or more of these in to a pen for Jeff. These beads are made from solid extruded glass rod, multi coloured and patterned, and were used as trading currency on the Silk Route. Thet originate from countries along the Silk Route, especially India.

Being glass, I quickly found they couldn't be turned with any turning tool I had access to, so I had to resort to grinding.

The pen is a Jr Gent FP in Rhodium, dressed in Red Ironbark, or at least the bark from that tree. I replaced the standard finial with the same bark and incorporated one of the Gulami beads in it.

PenTurner
13th December 2009, 03:07 PM
Fred, Now, that is some pen! very impressive, :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:I'm sure Jeff will be wrapped in it. If he isn't he can send it to me:), Love your wotk, Amos

dai sensei
13th December 2009, 07:47 PM
Great looking pen Fred, I'm sure jeff will be happy with it :2tsup:

artme
13th December 2009, 10:02 PM
Fred that is more than impressive enough!! Gorgeous!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

MBUMIK
13th December 2009, 11:10 PM
OUTSTANDING....WOW

absolutely anyone should be happy with that sucker

well done mate

MIK

gawdelpus
14th December 2009, 12:26 AM
Nothing shabby about that one ! hehe, I am sure it will be cherished by its new owner ,I always think a little of our soul goes with each article we create ,and I am sure that is what makes our pens and things what they are and stand for ,something more than meets the eye for sure, Well done :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: cheers ~ John

BoomerangInfo
14th December 2009, 08:27 AM
Looks good enough to me Fred :2tsup:

Russell.

Ozkaban
14th December 2009, 09:55 AM
Do I get to be your partner in the 2010 pen swap :please2:

Looks fantastic. Well done :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

rotten_66
14th December 2009, 01:57 PM
wow.

Rum Pig
14th December 2009, 03:49 PM
I have never been in a pen swap but I can understand why you were daunted with Jeff as a partner but I think you have stood up to the challenge and done your self proud:2tsup:

That is a fantastic pen well done:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Now let see what Jeff comes up with, It had better be good:U

Simomatra
14th December 2009, 03:49 PM
retty schmick there Fred. I am sure Jeff will love. That bark is outstanding and the use of the glass bead is a terrific idea.

Outstanding finish as well :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

BoomerangInfo
14th December 2009, 04:04 PM
Now let see what Jeff comes up with, It had better be good:U

*points to the other thread with jeff's picture in it ------>>>

munruben
14th December 2009, 09:43 PM
Brilliant work.:2tsup::2tsup:

wm460
14th December 2009, 11:22 PM
Stunning Fred, Well done.

Poppa
15th December 2009, 05:43 PM
That's one of the nicest pens I've seen on the forums. Really beautiful.