PDA

View Full Version : please advise re lathe setup

jow104
13th December 2009, 06:56 PM
You might have seen my workshop changes post in projects.

I want to put a shelf under the lathe bed to catch shavings that fall from turning and let it fall into a waste bucket.

Anyone tried this and does it work?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/9w-4.jpg

the shelf and bucket drawn for example of what I am thinking.

Any more suggestions (I would like a cupboard for storage incorporated with above)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/10w-5.jpg

Fencepost2
13th December 2009, 07:03 PM
Hi John. Just a thought. I doubt that you will get enough slope on the tray to cause it to dump waste into a bucket, and you would be kicking that bucket over more often than not as you worked. My thought would be to have a flat surface, that would capture a good percentage of the waste, made accessible for a small brush that you could sweep it off readily into the bucket. A flat surface would also make underneath shelving or drawers more practical.

Manuka Jock
13th December 2009, 07:13 PM
The small amount of shavings that fall to the shelf will be negligible compared to the huge pile that will land around you .
Save the shelf for more important things

Big Shed
13th December 2009, 07:14 PM
Yep, that bucket would get in the way for sure. How about you make that a V shape trough underneath, with sloping sides and front and back with a hole in the middle with a bucket under it?

jow104
13th December 2009, 07:34 PM
Yes big shed, thats the one. A tube down the middle through a large cupboard to a bucket under that cross frame.

dai sensei
13th December 2009, 08:03 PM
I built a sliding hopper of sorts that slopes down to a DC gulp. As others have said, doesn't help the shavings that fly into your face or on either side of you, but it does catch anything that flys behind the lathe.

I also have a hose that fits into the outlet of the gulp and connects to one of GPW's pen DC collector boxes (sorry no photo) that works a treat, especially for getting rid of those CA fumes and fine sanding dust :2tsup:

artme
13th December 2009, 08:08 PM
Mate of mine was talking About hanging a piece of canvas behind the lathe.

One side attached to the wall on sever hooks , and the other side to the lath frame on several hooks. It would have the catenary curve to catch the majority of his shavings.

I wouldn't worry with any thing fancy underneath, just a flat surface.

joe greiner
13th December 2009, 10:01 PM
Most of the shavings will go everywhere else, and I do mean EVERYWHERE. Some hanging curtains, similar to shower curtains, can at least confine them to the lathe's neighbourhood. The shelves are especially vulnerable, and a PITA to clean; overlapping curtain segments can protect, while still providing access.

Cheers,
Joe

hughie
13th December 2009, 10:22 PM
A tube down the middle through a large cupboard to a bucket under that cross frame.
[/QUOTE]

Unless your turning pens I reckon any bucket will fill in a few minutes. I tried a 60L container :C filled up so fast it wasn't worth all the effort.

I recognize Joe's comments:2tsup:, they are from experience :U been there and had to clean up from there myself. Now have overlapping curtain segments to install, to separate the turning area from the rest.

Now I design all my lathe stands to let all or as much as I can fall on the floor. I have my lathes far enough out from the wall to get my broom/shovel,rake or whatever behind them and sweep up maybe once a week.

I have dust collection mainly for sanding and will be installing a extraction fan to give cross flow ventilation.

Unless you live in a wind tunnel its kinda hard to catch and remove all the chips successfully. Having said that one of the guys on the forum came up with a design of dust and chip collection built in to the tool rest, looked like it had some very good potential.

thefixer
13th December 2009, 11:46 PM
I reckon forget the idea of trying to collect shavings straight from the lathe. It all depends on the wood you are turning. Some will come off as nice long curlies, some will come off as little wood chips and some will come off as just bloody annoying "get up your nose" dust. And those shelves to the right hand side of your lathe are gunna get smothered in shavings and dust. There is nothing wrong with spending an afternoon sweeping and dusting the cave and then leaning back against the workbench and admiring the scenery while downing a nice cold beer. Refer to page 13 paragraph 8 of "the code of practice"

Download and enjoy
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f36/ubeaut-shed-code-practice-56847/

Hickory
14th December 2009, 03:18 AM
Can't stop mother nature... Lathe shavings will find themselves in your breast pocket more often than on a shelf. Forego the idea of containment as it is easier to control global warming than flying wood chips. It is your responsibilty to the loverly tree to spead its remains all over your shop so that others can enjoy their presence and pleasures as well as yourself.

Ozkaban
14th December 2009, 09:35 AM
Can't stop mother nature... Lathe shavings will find themselves in your breast pocket more often than on a shelf. Forego the idea of containment as it is easier to control global warming than flying wood chips. It is your responsibilty to the loverly tree to spead its remains all over your shop so that others can enjoy their presence and pleasures as well as yourself.

:whs:

If it's a problem, stick to particularly fragrant timbers and turn them green :D

Cheers,
Dabe

orraloon
14th December 2009, 11:12 AM
I have to agree with the rest on this one. It is not worth the effort. With a reasonable sized bowl you would be looking at many buckets worth of shavings. Just wade through them as they pile up. It is one of the joys of turning. I find it sort of satisfying to step back and look at the bowl on the lathe and the huge pile of shavings. Kind of gives an indication of what you have done so far.

Regards
John

jow104
14th December 2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the advice, your experience counts and the chip tray is off the menu, thinking along the lines of a flush front cabinet and UK member advise getting some weight ballast located for this type of lathe stand.

Ozkaban
14th December 2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the advice, your experience counts and the chip tray is off the menu, thinking along the lines of a flush front cabinet and UK member advise getting some weight ballast located for this type of lathe stand.

RayintheUK did this lathe bench for his Henger: The Hegner Lathe Bench (http://www.raygirling.co.uk/hegner.htm)

I;ve been tempted to copy it, but I feel like I need a better lathe to sit on top of it! It does look very solid.

Cheers,
Dave

jow104
14th December 2009, 07:53 PM
Yes that looks good and sturdy, however I am not a mdf user perhaps 3/4" ply would be more for me.

Perhaps Ray would comment if he looks in.

Manuka Jock
14th December 2009, 08:49 PM
Yes that looks good and sturdy, however I am not a mdf user perhaps 3/4" ply would be more for me.

Perhaps Ray would comment if he looks in.
A bench stand made of MDF will be the sturdier of the two .
It is more solid , heavier and nowhere near as flexible as plywood. All the qualities that you need in a lathe stand .

I built mine of MDF , with a timber top ( Doug Fir) .

Not the best photo , but you get the idea :rolleyes:

Hickory
15th December 2009, 02:09 AM
Forget the extra Ballast for the lathe, any lathe set up properly will be stable if the legs are wider than the lathe, the problem comes in when folks set up the legs directly under the lathe. The larger the footprint the more stable (not extra weight)

artme
15th December 2009, 04:24 AM
Forget the extra Ballast for the lathe, any lathe set up properly will be stable if the legs are wider than the lathe, the problem comes in when folks set up the legs directly under the lathe. The larger the footprint the more stable (not extra weight)

This true to a point. If lathes have cast iron stands then you have weight PLUS the vibration absorbing capacity of the cast iron.

Extra weight should ideally be in the form of ballast that will absorb vibrations. Bags of fine gravel or sand are pretty well ideal.

hughie
15th December 2009, 12:08 PM

If your using ply or MDF consider building your stand with hollow legs. This will allow you to add ballast to your legs with compromising any drawers or shelving you might be contemplating.
The stand in the pics is a bit spartan but you get the idea, pour your sand/gravel etc in the top. Just make sure its in its final spot otherwise it becomes a bit of a contract to move it around.

Ed Reiss
15th December 2009, 12:49 PM
A bench stand made of MDF will be the sturdier of the two .
It is more solid , heavier and nowhere near as flexible as plywood. All the qualities that you need in a lathe stand .

I built mine of MDF , with a timber top ( Doug Fir) .

Not the best photo , but you get the idea :rolleyes:

MJ...seein' that pig sticker you have chucked up you must be taking distance learning lessons from ...when are you graduating to porch posts?:roll: :D:D

Manuka Jock
15th December 2009, 01:48 PM
MJ...seein' that pig sticker you have chucked up you must be taking distance learning lessons from ...when are you graduating to porch posts?:roll: :D:D

Yep , got an order of telegraph poles coming in ... :U

I was turning a floor lamp stand . the person never came back :((

It is made of kauri , or will be when it is finished

jow104
15th December 2009, 07:10 PM
my problem with mdf is that my workshop is very damp in winter, and I am certain mdf would have some movement caused over this.

However things have come to a standstill here in Devon, temps down to 2C and I've got backache. So most probably I will go into hibernation for a couple of months if you know our situation.

Manuka Jock
16th December 2009, 08:10 AM
Seal every piece of the MDF , on all faces and sides ,with an enamel paint , before you assemble the stand .

MDF is used for laundry , bathroom ,and kitchen joinery , so it can withstand a bit of a damp environment , If sealed properly .

wheelinround
16th December 2009, 08:15 AM
Forget the MDF sealed or not it will rot in your climate out there as you know.
Get a decent plank :2tsup: seal it I'd also put something between the wall and the lathe to stop the damp from the wall if you can. That would help insulate you also.

jow104
16th December 2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys, thinking of you all down there with that lovely weather.

Even mdf offcuts I have been given have cupped including the 3/4" stuff. I shudder to think what some kitchens are like after the floods we have been getting the past few years in the UK.

rodent
17th December 2009, 12:35 AM
jow looks very similar to my mc1100 yes i put a shelf under mine but i didn't slope it instead I put it about 5 inches 125 mm for the metrics under the bed . Then put a 4in hole for the dust extractor under the usual (the head sildes on mine people ) chuck position . even if the dusty is not on i can sweep the shavings into the hole .:2tsup:PS put another shelf on the bottom to so you can put wood under there it will also help with the viberation .

jow104
17th December 2009, 12:53 AM
Thanks, yes the headstock swivels 180 degrees, your suggestion also makes sense, a neighbour came in this morning and had a look at the setup and suggested I also run a back board up high enough and allows any back dust to fall down to a lower tray.

Must admit I am anti dust in my nice new workshop layout. :B

wheelinround
17th December 2009, 07:09 AM
I have an old real estate sign behind on the wall saves the wall as its plaster from some damage in your case would insulate. Its the plastic sheet type.