PDA

View Full Version : Neglected Dressing Table

robbo266317
15th December 2009, 08:11 AM
My latest project to help improve my skills is an old dressing table.

It needs a couple of knobs replaced but the main problem is some damage to the top left.

I had to shine a light across the damaged area so it would show up better.

My question is should I fill these or leave it "as is" and simply recoat it?

All suggestions welcome.

burraboy
15th December 2009, 03:21 PM
There are two schools of thought on that and you could go either way! Looks like a fair bit of staining too, that usually responds well to Oxalic Acid. Use with care if you do!

hap97
17th December 2009, 04:54 PM
I would be inclined to strip it off the old varnish, sand well, fill any holes or damage with a timbermate type filler, sand again, stain and clear sealer or polyurathane and wax. Purchase a set of similar knobs and it will be a nice piece of furniture again.
hap

robbo266317
17th December 2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks Hap and Burraboy, but I decided to just strip it and re-shellac it. (I will post pics in the morning)

It looks like one end has been exposed to the weather, perhaps in a shed, but after cleaning and 6 coats of shellac it looks a treat.

I am trying to find knobs that match the two missing ones as I do not want to replace all of them, mainly because I bought this to practice on and to replace 6 knobs would be ~$60 and I plan on taking this back to the tender center to recoup some of my costs.

The mirror isn't original as I can see mounting holes higher up in the frame .....

Anyway I am pleased with the results.

Again, Thanks for the input,
Bill

Christos
25th December 2009, 06:57 AM
Picture???:rolleyes:

robbo266317
25th December 2009, 09:16 AM
Sorry, I have been doing some casual work up the mid north coast.

I will post one when I get a chance.

robbo266317
3rd January 2010, 10:50 AM
Ok I am back, and have been given a 6 month job working for TAFE as onsite support for their computers. :woot: Hopefully it will be extended past the 6 months.

Here is a pic of the finished dressing table.

burraboy
3rd January 2010, 11:06 AM
Looks good! What did you do about the stains and pits in the top?

robbo266317
3rd January 2010, 11:09 AM
Looks good! What did you do about the stains and pits in the top?
Thanks, It actually looks better thab the pic shows.

The stains weren't an issue after cleaning with metho and 00 steel wool.
Some of the really deep holes I filled but left the rest.
After seeing it finished I could have just left the pits as they give it a certain rustic character.

wheelinround
3rd January 2010, 11:39 AM
looks great noticed a handle missing off first pic did you have trouble finding a replacement??

robbo266317
3rd January 2010, 01:36 PM
looks great noticed a handle missing off first pic did you have trouble finding a replacement??

There are two drawer pulls missing and I couldn't find any like them in Oz.
I found some similar here:- Antique Hardware & More (http://www.antique-hardware.com/Single%20Post%20Pulls%20-%20New/PP-102.htm) but after a fortnight they haven't replied so I bought two plain ones and used the existing backing plates. You don't notice unless you look close.

I would have preferred the correct ones but.........

Here's what the originals look like. 125618

wheelinround
3rd January 2010, 02:49 PM
:doh: I have a draw with one on I am sure its the same and maybe couple stashed away in containers a horder I am.

robbo266317
3rd January 2010, 03:06 PM
Yep, I tried all the local antique dealers but they won't sell originals, only new ones. They keep the originals to repair items they buy that are missing bits and pieces.

It was one of the dealers who said to keep the original trim and insert a new handle because "most people don't look that closely". I would suggest carefully checking anything bought from him.