PDA

View Full Version : Pao de Acucar

artme
16th December 2009, 09:37 AM
This is a view of the Pao de Acucar, or sugar loaf, in Rio. It is more or less the view when arriving by ship but this was taken from the opposite side of the harbour at Rio from the fort outside the city of Niteroi.

It was not a good day for photos as can vbe seen by the second photo. This is the famous Corcavada but the statue of Christ is hidden in the low cloud.

Wongdai
16th December 2009, 03:36 PM
:oo: Lovely place by the looks. It looks very tropical. Is that a prison in the foreground?

artme
17th December 2009, 07:06 AM
No, that is the fort on the Rio side of the harbour, built back in the Portuguese colonial days. like the one this side.

Yes it is tropical, Rio is north of the Tropic of Capricorn and receives high annual rainfall. It is , without a doubt one of the most spectacular settings for a city on the face of the earth.

I have been lucky enough to have seen Sydney, Rio, Auckland, San Francisco, Hobart, Stockholm, Oslo, and Bergen. I have not been to Cape Town but these are all spectacular city sites.

Allan at Wallan
2nd January 2010, 09:04 PM
No, that is the fort on the Rio side of the harbour, built back in the Portuguese colonial days. like the one this side.

Yes it is tropical, Rio is north of the Tropic of Capricorn and receives high annual rainfall. It is , without a doubt one of the most spectacular settings for a city on the face of the earth.

I have been lucky enough to have seen Sydney, Rio, Auckland, San Francisco, Hobart, Stockholm, Oslo, and Bergen. I have not been to Cape Town but these are all spectacular city sites.

But you have not been to Pretty Sally Hill at Wallan ... just
think about what you are missing.:D

Allan

hughie
7th March 2010, 06:02 PM
[/QUOTE]

The Cape is spectacular well worth a visit, spent a 18months or so in SA back in the 70's