PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Garden Tool Stand

Malcolm Eaton
18th December 2009, 12:21 AM
I needed a stand to hold all those bits and pieces such as garden tools , sash cramps, broom, mops and all those odd bits that keep getting in the way in the garage/workshop.
The stand needed to be mobile and stable and to be able be stacked away in the odd corner and bought out when things were required.
My thoughts then turned to all those discarded mobile office chairs that one sees being dumped or put out in the council recycle bins, I asked my self why I could not make use of the mobile bases as the support for a stand. A drive around the local area soon turned up a suitable chair worse for ware and in a few minutes, I had removed the back and the seat with all the centre support gear leaving me with a 5 point mobile stand with a 50mm x 300mm centre metal shaft. A sort through the offcut bin for piece of 17mm form ply, this to enable me to cut a 300mm diam plate with a 60mm hole in the centre and to cut 4off 100mm disks to suite the inner diam of 4inch PVC sewerage pipe. The next task was to cut 4 pieces of 4 inch PVC sewerage pipe to length of about 500mm and I was ready to assemble my mobile stand . All up my stand just look about 2 hours, the cost in materials except for a few screws" 0".
The attached photo's are of the stand loaded up with a range of odd tools etc.
The final stand is mobile and stable even when loaded up with a range of gear inc 2 sash cramps, a sledge hammer, a rake and a hoe plus 2 mops and a broom.
Thats what I call recycleing.
Mac:2tsup:

artme
18th December 2009, 12:50 AM
Blood neat idea!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

How does it travel on grass and rougher surfaces?

Malcolm Eaton
18th December 2009, 09:22 AM
Blood neat idea!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

How does it travel on grass and rougher surfaces?

I haven't tried it on the grass lawn but it works great on the lounge room carpet:o.
It works great on rough concrete.
You could use the same idea to make a small mobile rack or table to hold say wood turning chisels etc:U. There is so many of these chairs being discarded by offices and or the home computer uses.
Mac:Dhttp://cdn.woodworkforums.com/http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Bob38S
18th December 2009, 10:26 AM
Nice one Mac and at the right price as well.

If I could suggest a modification - the form ply base should make this ideal - drill some largish holes through the PVC at the base. The pipes will fill with dust, dirt, bits of grass etc, when finished for the day you can just hose out the stuff without emptying the cart. The holes will also let in the light so you can see right down to the bottom and should avoid any nasty surprises which may have crawled into a nice new home. I'm aware that the holes may make it easier for something to crawl into it but at least it should make it easier to remove,

Just a thought, regards,
Bob