PDA

View Full Version : New GPW Lathes

dai sensei
19th December 2009, 11:05 PM
Called in to Gary's place today to pick up some more CA stock for over the Xmas break so I don't run out :rolleyes:

Gary has been getting into his own brand of bandsaws, sanders, tablesaws etc and many would have seen some at the hands on expo a few weeks back. But today I had the pleasure of checking out his new BIG BOY Lathes. Huge cast iron variable speed, reverseable, inboard outboard, 3ph with inverters to suit 240V. What beasts :2tsup: Prices will be a lot lower than the comparable lathes.

He just needs to finish his fine tuning and testing prior to offering them up for sale next year :(. Like showing candy to a small kid. Does give me time to build another turning shed out front though :rolleyes:

Look out Vicmarc, Stubby and other big beasts, GPW has put up some competition :cool:

ps: no connection to GPW, just ongoing happy customer

artme
20th December 2009, 12:17 AM
Neil it looks as though "The People" have been listened to by a number of suppliers about the need for good quality well priced machines.

Good on Gary for going down this road!!!

rsser
20th December 2009, 04:06 AM
Hope it's on a par with his 110mm chuck.

But it's a hard row to hoe.

It's lathe assembly of 3rd party parts and the machine will only be as good as price, QC and supply will allow.

hughie
21st December 2009, 08:45 AM
Be very interested to see what he has to offer.

Swino
21st December 2009, 09:32 AM
I had a look at them last week also. Solid looking machines with a very solid cast iron bed (at least 25-30mm thickness). Emergency Stop bar dressed in a very familar red colour. Electronic variable speed with a digital readout. 600 swing and comes with outboard turning attachments. M30 thread. I am intersted in how they will perform but my inital impression is that of a very solid well designed lathe. Weighs around 400kg. I am told that the price will be very competitive when compared to the other lathes of this type currently on the market in Australia.

rsser
21st December 2009, 04:51 PM
I'm just wondering why the Beaver flopped.

If memory serves, this was the brand that Vicmarc had made in China. (Though last time I looked it was advertised on the Vermec website. Believe Enzo and Victor are brothers so maybe they're collaborating).

artme
21st December 2009, 10:57 PM
Vic and Enzo are brothers and were in business together before going their separate ways.

You are right, the Beaver was made in China to Vicmarc specs, and very well made too. Perhaps Enzo bought the rights to the lathe. I was looking for one just after Carba-Tec stopped selling them. I was referred to Vicmarc but they had none.

Perhaps the brothers parted ways about this time and Enzo bought out the remaining stock. But that is purely speculation.