PDA

View Full Version : Pen al-Padouk

orificiam
20th December 2009, 09:26 PM
Hi Everyone I don't normaly post on Pen Turning I spend most of the time on
woodturning you know --Bowls-Platers-ecc.
a friend send me some pen blanks from Brasil ---padouk--wenge- and some other Exotic names I can't remember at the moment.
I made a pen with Padouk wood I've made some pens before mostly Slimline.
This Kit was Prk401 Rollerball, and I found it to be a bit hard not Having a set of bushings for it i had to use Calipers.
Coments and suggestions welcome.
Cheers Tony.:)

gawdelpus
20th December 2009, 09:39 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself they look fine , some purists will be disdainful of bushes hehe ,expect things done between centres, and calipers and verniers for fittings :) Whichever way suits your style and works for you ,it is after all a craft and for most a hobby , I assume that kit is 7mm tubes which means it fits on a 1/4 " shaft without the need for bushes, just a spacer in the centre so you get the 2 different dias .And just a word of warning the pens can get very addictive lol. Thanks for posting :) cheers ~ John :2tsup::2tsup:

orificiam
20th December 2009, 09:44 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself they look fine , some purists will be disdainful of bushes hehe ,expect things done between centres, and calipers and verniers for fittings :) Whichever way suits your style and works for you ,it is after all a craft and for most a hobby , I assume that kit is 7mm tubes which means it fits on a 1/4 " shaft without the need for bushes, just a spacer in the centre so you get the 2 different dias .And just a word of warning the pens can get very addictive lol. Thanks for posting :) cheers ~ John :2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks John--No the tubes are 8mm and like I said i had to improvise' I used 7mm tubes inside the 8mm to take up the slack it seems to work OK.

MBUMIK
20th December 2009, 10:04 PM
well done mate, looks good

as Clint Eastwood said in Heartbreak Ridge "improvise and overcome" well something like that anyway

what finish did you use?

MIK

orificiam
20th December 2009, 10:09 PM
well done mate, looks good

as Clint Eastwood said in Heartbreak Ridge "improvise and overcome" well something like that anyway

what finish did you use?

MIK

Thanks Mik 2 coats of Superglue 1coat EEE and finished with Shellawax Glow.

artme
20th December 2009, 10:36 PM
Nothing wrong with that effort mate!! Well done.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Rum Pig
21st December 2009, 09:13 AM
Look good from here:2tsup::2tsup:

orificiam
21st December 2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks guys --Now to improve on the photography :D:D

Sawdust Maker
21st December 2009, 09:00 PM
Nice looking pen
you have every right to be pleased with that

orificiam
21st December 2009, 09:09 PM
Nice looking pen
you have every right to be pleased with that

Thank you Nick you're very kind.

wm460
21st December 2009, 09:26 PM
Great looking pen.

ciscokid
21st December 2009, 11:49 PM
Very nice effort! :) That padauk has a "glow" about it.

Simomatra
22nd December 2009, 02:44 PM
Nice work Tony,

You have done well without the bushes, as John said the purist turn that way all the time. The timber has a nice warm glow to it. How about the look f the wenge?

orificiam
22nd December 2009, 08:12 PM
Nice work Tony,

You have done well without the bushes, as John said the purist turn that way all the time. The timber has a nice warm glow to it. How about the look f the wenge?

Thanks for the kind comments and compliments to all.

Simomatra I have'nt tried the wenge yet, I'm waiting to take a trip to visit Jim
and stock up on some Kits. I was thinking for the wenge maybe a JR Gents?
hope I can do it Justice.But you don't get nowhere if you don't Try.