PDA

View Full Version : New(ish) Rupes Sanders

Elill
21st December 2009, 09:54 AM
Has anyone used/have either of these:

Rupes ROS (http://www.vektools.com.au/rupes-sander-electric-150mm-orbit-p-492.html)

Rupes Half Sheet (http://www.vektools.com.au/rupes-sander-electric-half-sheet-25mm-orbit-p-462.html)

I have 2 very old Rupes palm sanders which are pretty much dead so its upgrade time.

Festool ETS150/3 is the obvious other choice and as much of a fan of Festool I've spent a good many hours with my old Rupes with outstanding results.....

VEK TOOLS
23rd December 2009, 07:11 AM
There is a new so84 sander coming in the new year, had a sneak peak the other day & it is looking like being another workhorse.

RUPES ? Product data sheets -SO 31TE (http://www.rupes.com/en/products/so_31te_247.html)

acmegridley
23rd December 2009, 08:24 AM
Rupes used to be the sander of choice for panelbeaters,however noticed in my local panel shop he has Festool with dust extraction,he is very happy with his choice when I asked him about it.:2tsup:

Elill
23rd December 2009, 08:30 AM
For once the Festool product is actually cheaper (and by quite a lot) than its competitor! I just wish I could find an objective review on both. Or I could just save some coin, get the Festo, be happy with a good product that matches everything else :)

I guess it might come down to the type/quality/cost of the paper for both. That said, I feel a rectangle pad is more useful than a round one, given that I dont have a delta.

I'll have to find someone who stocks both and have a play perhaps.

leek
9th January 2010, 05:50 AM
Why dont you just get a demonstration organised,I hear that VEK Tools sell both brands im sure they could organise it.
The main differance is festool is German engineering for hobby come professional wood workers on the other hand RUPES is Italian Engineering for the crash repair trade, Who needs a better finish & who give their tools more of a hiding, Paper for both is the same this day & age,Mako abrasives paper cut to most shapes & weights, but i hear festools bringing out another hole configuration to lock you in to the system again & jack up the price as most brands have multihole pads these days but festool has to be differant (im 1/2 german & i cant belive their arrogance), theirs not much price differance at all tool wise just depends on where you shop & if the operator really knows tools & applications or just wants stock of his shelf. Also ask for prices on spare pads brushes switches on both brands, you will be suprised !
I know i would prefer a Maseratti, Lamborghini or Ferrari than a Volkswagon,Opel or smart car any way happy sanding:2tsup:
lee

Elill
11th January 2010, 08:53 AM
I ended up with the ETS150/5, mainly because it was easier to buy...I didn't get a Rotex because for a little bit more I can get a good delta as well, which works better for me.

I spoke with a heap (well 6) auto repairers and most have switched from Rupes to Festool in the past 10 years....they didn't really say why. That said I found that people doing stone work - polishing, honing granite etc seem to use a Rupes product of some sort or another.

ST John
14th January 2010, 03:07 PM
I hate to say it but aside from Festools extrodinary prices. They are much better than a Rupes machine. The durability and features on Festool tools are always second to none.