PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive small electric glue pot

Tisorp
21st December 2009, 10:50 AM
I had the need recently, and for the first time, to use Hide Glue.
Having read on these excellent forums of the possibility of baby bottle warmers or wax pots to heat the stuff I did the appropriate Google searches and found that most of the wax pots were far too big for my purposes and I could not find any appropriate bottle warmers.
And then I discovered the "La Petite Wax and Sugar Warmer" 124727which is available from a few internet sites and probably many beauty shops although I couldntīt find it in Adelaide despite visiting many of the city stores and discussing the application of wax and other warm liquids (not including glue) with a number of attractive and helpful young ladies.

Some observations on the "La Petite" relevant to heating glue:
1. The non stick pot capacity is 115ml and cooled, but stil pliable, glue can easily be peeled out as a cast of the pot leaving the pot quite clean.124728
2. The pot is not separable from the heater.
3, Max achieved temp. (measured by me with a food thermometer) is 73°C
4. Temperature is maintained within a two degree range.
5. The heater stands on three small rubber feet but as the diameter of the pot is only 90mm this makes the pot slightly unstable.
6. The internet price varies from $35 to $50. la Petite Wax Warmer 100g - Beauty & Nails (http://www.beautyandnails.com.au/shop/shop664.html) was the cheapest I could find.

I knocked up a crude base to increase stability and incorporated a small stand upon which to hang a brush.124726
Although my experience with hide glue is limited I feel this little heater performs most adequately the task for which it was not designed and can imagine it being of use to all those who need less than 100ml of hot glue at any one time.

Cheers
Jeff

Mr Brush
21st December 2009, 10:56 AM
Good find - I'm just at the point where I need something like this too :2tsup:

jmk89
21st December 2009, 11:03 AM
I agree. That is a good find.

The Bleeder
21st December 2009, 11:07 AM
I couldntīt find it in Adelaide despite visiting many of the city stores and discussing the application of wax and other warm liquids (not including glue) with a number of attractive and helpful young ladies.

Where are the photos :U:U:U

BTW nice find.

munruben
21st December 2009, 12:26 PM
Well done, good idea.Will have to make a note of that.:2tsup:

orraloon
21st December 2009, 02:13 PM
I have had a few projects where hide glue would have been the best option bit have made do with other glue due to not having a glue pot. That looks ideal.
Regards
John

acmegridley
21st December 2009, 04:04 PM
Doesn't Birko make a baby's bottle warmer?

allisa
21st December 2009, 05:08 PM
Its a good find, I need something like this. I wanna to see photos and some more detail.

Woodwould
21st December 2009, 05:31 PM
I don't comprehend the brush hanger. If you keep the brush out of the glue, it will set hard and then what do you use to apply the glue? http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/woodwould/albums/woodwould-s-smilies-1/2669-question.gif

artme
21st December 2009, 10:00 PM
Thanx!! Good find!!

Tisorp
22nd December 2009, 10:05 AM
Quote Woodwould: "I don't comprehend the brush hanger. If you keep the brush out of the glue, it will set hard and then what do you use to apply the glue?"

When in use the brush hangs in the hot glue with the tips of the bristles just touching the bottom of the pot. The principal advantage is that the base of the brush (above the bristles) does not become covered in glue which can then drip inconveniently.
At the conclusion of a glueing session, while the glue is slowly solidifying in the pot, it has been my practice to rinse the brush in warm water and hang it to dry somewhere where I will be able to find it next time (ie next to the pot.)

124796 124797

Cheers

Woodwould
22nd December 2009, 11:39 AM
When in use the brush hangs in the hot glue with the tips of the bristles just touching the bottom of the pot.

Ah, the pot must be shallower than it looks. Might I humbly suggest that if your glue drips inconveniently off the brush, that the glue is too thin.

Tisorp
22nd December 2009, 12:09 PM
Ah, the pot must be shallower than it looks. Might I humbly suggest that if your glue drips inconveniently off the brush, that the glue is too thin.
Thank you for this piece of useful advice. It was more a theoretical precaution than one born of necessity but I now have a practical guide to the appropriate consistency of the heated glue.:) The pot is about 48 mm deep.
Cheers Tisorp

Woodwould
23rd December 2009, 06:17 PM
Tisorp, you're welcome. You can read a bit more about animal glue here (http://pegsandtails.wordpress.com/2009/09/17/glue-not-adhesive/).

jimbur
24th December 2009, 08:32 AM
I'm afraid eight year olds have priced themeselves out of the market:D
Merry Christmas every one:)

oldbob13
27th December 2009, 10:08 PM
Dear Woodwould
You link was both informative and entertaining as always
Bob:2tsup:

KJ401
6th February 2010, 09:36 AM
To keep the inside of a glue pot clean, (and to be able to make up small batches of fresh glue quickly and frequently - stewed smelly glue will produce a weaker glue joint) use glass jars appropriate to the amount of glue you'll need that day. Put the jar into the pot and pour in enough water to ensure you've got a water jacket, but not too much that the jar floats and tips over...

dowel
19th February 2010, 09:08 PM
great idea, thanks for posting

Sebastiaan56
9th April 2010, 10:34 AM
Here is a link to a vid that I found very interesting. There is nothing like a demonstration. Its given me impetus to try hide glue again as I probably have had the mix too thick in the past.

Video: Hide & Animal Protein Glue: How to Select, Make & Use (http://woodtreks.com/animal-protein-hide-glues-how-to-make-select-history/1549/)

Great find Tiscorp!