PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning blanks in Brisbane

Geoff1153
22nd December 2009, 10:04 AM
G'day,

Can someone please tell me where I might find good priced woodturning blanks in or near Brisbane. I've just bought a MC-900 lathe, I've read a few books and watched 2 DVDs on woodturning now I'm keen to give it a go, starting with some small bowls etc.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all ! :U

Geoff1153

Swino
22nd December 2009, 11:01 AM
Hi Geoff,

Sadly there isn't much available in the way of commercially availably blanks that are reasonably priced. Lazarides in Banyo has a good range of wood but if your just starting out you might find that option an expensive exercise. Woodturning Supplies at the Gap also has a small range of timbers. My suggestion would be to join a local turning club (there is one at Greenslopes) - I have sourced most of my timber privately through contacts made with my local club.

Another way I have found to source cheap timber is via stair manufacturers. I have found that they have a ready supply of offcuts normally 50-55mm but sometimes up to 75mm thick. These are great when starting out as they are cheap and I normally come out with a boot load of timber - normally I offer a carton of beer which is more often than not accepted.

If your down the coast way some time then PM myself - I'm sure I could part with some timber to get you started.

I hope this helps.

robyn2839
22nd December 2009, 11:14 AM
give me a yell, your not too far away i might be able to help you out.bob

hughie
22nd December 2009, 03:12 PM
Geoff,

Track down your local arborist,tree lopper etc and you will have as much timber as you can handle and more.

DoctorBobski
22nd December 2009, 07:13 PM
PM me. I've got a few left over albizia lebbeck logs you'd be welcome to. I'm only a few suburbs away.

Geoff1153
22nd December 2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks very much Dr Bobski, I'm off to Sydney for 2 weeks but will contact you again then if your offer still holds.
Cheers,
Geoff

Geoff1153
22nd December 2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks Hughie, thats a great idea.

Geoff1153
22nd December 2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks very much Bob. I'm away for a couple of weeks but will contact you when I get back. I'm very pleased and impressed by the quick and positive responses I got to my post.

Cheers,
Geoff

Geoff1153
22nd December 2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks Swino,

Thanks for the info and offer of timber to get me started.

Cheers,
Geoff