PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Transport

Ozkaban
22nd December 2009, 10:13 AM
Hi,

I've noticed a lovely old Tough Lathe listed by issatree in the marketplace forums that I'd dearly love to buy, Seems like it would suit me well, and others who have them love them. The price is ok by me as well.

The big problem I have is that it's in Melbourne and I'm in sydney.

Does anyone know of an economical way of transporting such a lump of cast iron to Sydney? I'm happy to pick it up from a shipping yard, but as I have two young kids (3 and 5 yo) the drive to Melbourne is pretty much out of the question. I've heard of backloading with removalists, but don't know how they would go with a 100kg+ lathe :shrug:

Cheers,
Dave

Paul39
22nd December 2009, 11:27 AM
Dave,

From this distance I LUST after a Tough lathe. I think you need one.

Find a forum member in Melbourne to look at the lathe, and if good, you buy it.

Arrange with a series of members to put it in the back of a ute and move it toward Sydney, lathe maybe sleeping a day, week, or month in a members shed along the way..

Eventually it will get close enough to you for you to jump into your car or ute and go get it, children and all.

It would be nice to have all the small bits packed into a stout wooden box, carefully wrapped and screwed shut, so parts are not forgotten along the way.

Here is a thread by the Antique Machinery Haulers Group showing how they do things here. They move tons of old iron around the USA by the method described above.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php/antique-machinery-haulers-group-162478.html

Paul39
22nd December 2009, 11:53 AM
Here is part of the story of a Midwest Haul:

<hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> scatter cat:

Since the rest of the guys involved in this trip are at Dave Kamp's loading equipment for
me and posssibly James Robert, I will explain the reason for the meeting in Helena.

There are two machines located at Helena that Rob Lang and I are interested in rescueing, namely the Bement verical boring mill and Niles lathe. The main purpose of the
trip for Rob is to load and haul the Bement back to Minnesota. I am getting the Niles.
Both of these machines will require a crane for easy loading. Rob and Jim Boggs are
stopping at Dave Kamp's to load a Hendey lathe I have stored there and to also load
sweet 16 for James Robert. They will then travel to Pekin, Illinois to load a 15 inch
Hendey friction shaper at Jason Joiner's shop. From Jason's they travel to Silex, Missouri
to pick up a Hendey #3 universal milling machine. All of these items will be delivered to
Helena and transferred from Jim's trailer to my trailer using the crane. The Niles will
remain in Helena until I can come back for it next spring. Then I travel to Fort Smith and
deliver sweet 16 to James Robert. After a day or two in Fort Smith at the Trolley Museum
I head to Burnet, Texas and pick up a Hendey eight speed lathe (that is the reason that
I can't haul the Niles back to Arizona this time). A day in San Antonio to visit relatives
and then its back home to Arizona. I hope that this will give you a better idea of why we
decided to meet in beautifull downtown Helena, Arkansas.

Thread continues:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php/ark-haul-prep-move-184078p4.html

Some might think these folks are mentally unbalanced, but they seem to have a lot of fun hauling
5 to 10 ton chunks of iron all over the country.

<!-- / message --> <!-- controls -->

Ozkaban
22nd December 2009, 02:23 PM
thanks for your responses Paul. Sounds very interesting.

I've decided that this probably isn't going to work out for me right now, so I'm going to pass on it. I know I'll regret it, but what can you do :shrug:

Cheers,
Dave

Manuka Jock
22nd December 2009, 02:59 PM
Dave ,
post a thread in the main forum . There maybe a member who is a trucker on that run and could do it .

Not sure what part to put it in tho .

RETIRED
22nd December 2009, 03:48 PM
Dave. If some one can get it from Geelong to me before Friday I can get it to Kiewa.(near Wodonga).

wheelinround
22nd December 2009, 05:30 PM
Dave shame LOML wont drive with a trailer we are heading down and back in Feb

tea lady
22nd December 2009, 09:18 PM
thanks for your responses Paul. Sounds very interesting.

I've decided that this probably isn't going to work out for me right now, so I'm going to pass on it. I know I'll regret it, but what can you do :shrug:

Cheers,
Dave:doh: Don't give up yet!:rolleyes: Ern (Rssr ) sent a Stubby to Queensland on a pallet as I recall.:cool: Ask him what he did. :2tsup:

issatree
22nd December 2009, 09:51 PM
Hi all,
I've just sent Ozkaban a PM, telling him of this Great Bargain, & it is.
If I had the room & the money, it would be mine.
This Lathe does not have a scratch on it, & is ready to go.
There were a nice lot of suggestions from the Forums. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Ozkaban
22nd December 2009, 10:01 PM
:doh: Don't give up yet!:rolleyes: Ern (Rssr ) sent a Stubby to Queensland on a pallet as I recall.:cool: Ask him what he did. :2tsup:

Hmmm, I remember that. I'll pm him tomorrow - when I'm more awake!

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
22nd December 2009, 10:02 PM
Hi all,
I've just sent Ozkaban a PM, telling him of this Great Bargain, & it is.
If I had the room & the money, it would be mine.
This Lathe does not have a scratch on it, & is ready to go.
There were a nice lot of suggestions from the Forums. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I want! I want! I really do! I know it's a bargain!

Will see what I can do.

The offers and suggesteions have been great. Thanks everyone :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave