PDA

View Full Version : My first pens in 7 years

Kev Y.
22nd December 2009, 03:57 PM
AS the title says, these are the first pens I have had the inclination/desire/time to do in over 7 years.

The first pics are of a Polaris style pen, in Blackwood, finished with three coats of Stylewood, and then buffed with EEE.

There was a second Polaris, but "SHE" commandeered it and will not give it back! I was made from Yelowbox/misletoe. IF I can retrieve it I will attempt to get a quick pic of it.

The other pics are of a slimline style pen with Red Gum and also finished with Stylewood and EEE.

I was experimenting with a shape and feel that this is "a sausage with a belt in the middle" design. I ended up giving this one as a thankyou/bribe to the shed company who I can now get my redgum blanks from. THEY likes the design.

Sawdust Maker
22nd December 2009, 08:04 PM
Like the blackwood - nice piece of timber. Are you sure it's blackwood? I'm thinking not tassie blackwood :no:

not sure about the redgum - don't really like the pinched shape - but that's me. But nicely finished and if the recipient likes it then that's a perfect pen:2tsup:

I think I'd call it a Blanch after the Wizard of Id's wife. She once asked him what she would look like in a bikini. he replied 'like a rubber band on an egg' :o

what's stylewood?

Kev Y.
22nd December 2009, 09:58 PM
Nick, the Blackwood was "liberated" from a local national park :o, and has been dry for over ten years.

I am not too enthuesed withthe shape of the redgum pen, as I mentioned, I am experimenting with shapes.. maybe next time.

artme
23rd December 2009, 06:01 AM
Just couldn't resist, could you Brudda?:D:D:D

Rum Pig
23rd December 2009, 08:44 AM
Not bad for 7 years :U:U

I think I agree with you and probably most in that the red gum is not the best shape it just needs to lose a few pounds that all:U Well done and welcome back to the pen addiction:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

gawdelpus
23rd December 2009, 08:50 AM
Well I am guessing from your location that a "stabalised" brown coal may be in the offing ,hehe. If you find the slims a bit restrictive you can make a contrasting centre band and give a bit more size to show off the wood a bit better ,not much left on a slim when thinned down :) cheers ~ John :2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
23rd December 2009, 09:14 AM
nice pen... must be the season for us oldies to make another one.

Ozkaban
23rd December 2009, 09:40 AM
Nice pens :2tsup:

I had a couple of months off making any pens (or anything else for that matter!), mostly from lack of time. It is good to occasionally get back into the shed to make one - they're pretty fun to do.

I really like the shape of the Polaris. I'm a big fan of straight bushing-to-bushing, but the cabara/polaris ones I've made look a bit wrong. The shape you've done looks great - one continuous arc from the tip to end. Nice one :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

munruben
23rd December 2009, 11:19 AM
After seven years thats not a bad effort, The shape of pens of course is a personal thing. Some people like the feel of a fat pen while otherrs like the slim feel. Nicely done:2tsup:

wm460
28th December 2009, 04:11 AM
Great pens.
Like your description "a sausage with a belt in the middle".

Kev Y.
28th December 2009, 07:35 AM
Great pens.
Like your description "a sausage with a belt in the middle".

I can not take credit for that quote.. I believe I read it here made by some one else in reference to another pen of similar shape.

Kev Y.
29th December 2009, 04:09 PM
Well I am guessing from your location that a "stabalised" brown coal may be in the offing ,hehe. If you find the slims a bit restrictive you can make a contrasting centre band and give a bit more size to show off the wood a bit better ,not much left on a slim when thinned down :) cheers ~ John :2tsup:

I have been thinking about your suggestion.. :rolleyes:

I can get plenty of the coal, in dust form or in lumps, I may try and mix some in some resin and see what happens.