PDA

View Full Version : A few recent turnings...

corbs
22nd December 2009, 05:49 PM
Have been trying to sort out my shed whilst on holidays but have managed to get some turning done. Still do mostly pens but am also happy with how my bowl turning is progressing. I wasn't really happy with how the Huon bowl was progressing so decided to try a lid for it. The finial is pretty rough but I'm still learning and am fairly happy with where I'm at for now:D.

The Huon on the Jarrah burl is a design highlight (I went through the base finishing the bottom:wink:)

The finish is Ubeaut Hard Shellac, still playing around with a few different finishes and although this shows up a little patchy in the photo's... they look better in real life:wink:

Corbs

Mulgabill
22nd December 2009, 07:51 PM
Looking good corbs!!!
Luv the finial on pic 6.
All the best, keep pedalling!

Ad de Crom
22nd December 2009, 08:06 PM
Corbs, very neat bowls, well executed, an outstanding finial.
Ad :2tsup:

Wilco Flier
22nd December 2009, 08:13 PM
Very beautifull bowls Corbs. I've one question; how do you made the finial? Carving?

corbs
22nd December 2009, 09:42 PM
Very beautifull bowls Corbs. I've one question; how do you made the finial? Carving?

Thanks guys... Wilco, the finial was carved with a dremel. I did think about inside out turning though... maybe another time.

artme
23rd December 2009, 05:29 AM
Nice work Corbs. Love the silky in particular.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

brendan stemp
23rd December 2009, 09:46 AM
Well done Corbs, nothing mediocre about this batch of work. Love the finial but I reckon its way too big for that box. IMHO finials shouldn't over power the work. Finish looks spot on.

rsser
23rd December 2009, 03:13 PM
Great work Corbs.

The Silky has classic lines.

The Jarrah, perhaps a bit fussy for my taste. With rustic wood I prefer simple strong lines. Just my 2c worth.

Ed Reiss
24th December 2009, 01:43 AM
Nice turnings Corb !!! :2tsup:

jefferson
24th December 2009, 08:42 AM
Nice work, Corbs. :2tsup: Like Ern, I think the silky piece is classy.

So what's next?

Willy Nelson
24th December 2009, 11:47 AM
Hello Corbs
Very nice work, I too was impressed with the finial. Shame about the burl bowl, but the huon pine insert looks good. Keep burl reasonably chunky as it will explode with all the cracks and fissures.
Regards
Willy
Jarrahland

corbs
24th December 2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks again all, the finial is a bit imposing but as its among my first 5 so I guess the only thing I can do is improve:D

Sawdust Maker
24th December 2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks again all, the finial is a bit imposing but as its among my first 5 so I guess the only thing I can do is improve:D

Great effort. Pity about the breakout in the jarrah burl, I wonder whether a ring of huon down about a half inch from the top might be a a highlight and fit in with the plug in the bottom.
I like the finial - great work
improve away ...

PS I like the silky bowl

Christos
27th December 2009, 08:24 PM
Very Nice.

Paulphot
27th December 2009, 09:03 PM
Really nice bowls mate, I love the Jarrah, that would have been fun waiting for bits to separate on you.