RETIRED
23rd December 2009, 06:24 AM
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

hughie
23rd December 2009, 09:02 AM
simple and effective, kinda obvious when you see it :doh:

brendan stemp
23rd December 2009, 09:38 AM
Didn't see him do any end grain hollowing. That would've tested the glue's strength/bond. Has anyone tried this? I'm not convinced.

artme
23rd December 2009, 10:02 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Allen Neighbors
23rd December 2009, 10:34 AM
I agree, Brendan. I thought he was going to make a little goblet, then he made a top. I wanta see him hollow end grain with that glue-up.

Texian
23rd December 2009, 12:49 PM
+1 what they said. Guess I'll just keep using the chuck. No glue to buy and do not have to turn a top while waiting for it to set up.

Ed Reiss
23rd December 2009, 12:56 PM
Didn't see him do any end grain hollowing. That would've tested the glue's strength/bond. Has anyone tried this? I'm not convinced.

Brenden, over the years I've followed this method quite a bit but had only one piece that had a glue joint failure. It was my fault as I had not put the correct amount of glue on the face, so the joint was glue starved and eventually broke.
I definatley endorse this method:2tsup:

RETIRED
23rd December 2009, 01:43 PM
We used to do a lot of work this way. Scoops mainly but used PVA and very rarely had a failure.

Problem was they had to dry for 24 hrs.

I never thought to use superglue.

The main thing to remember with this is that the surfaces must be as flat as you can get them.

rsser
23rd December 2009, 02:09 PM
Neat.

Pity CA is so damned expensive here.

dai sensei
23rd December 2009, 05:56 PM
Yep I have used CA this way and it works.

Warning though, use the good stuff, not that washed out cheap $2 for 8 little tube pack stuff

rsser
23rd December 2009, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I like the bargain shop stuff for wicking into checks. Not for anything more serious.

That said, I've had a pack of the little tubes none of which set. Talk about all dressed up and nowhere to go ;-}

hughie
23rd December 2009, 06:25 PM
Pity CA is so damned expensive here

We could do a bulk order, it works out much cheaper last time I looked

powderpost
23rd December 2009, 08:37 PM
I would rather face and true the base block and turn the blank round, turn a tenon on the end and then CA the tenon into a hole in the base block. Now days I just clamp the square blank into a scroll chuck.
Jim

RETIRED
23rd December 2009, 08:51 PM
I would rather face and true the base block and turn the blank round, turn a tenon on the end and then CA the tenon into a hole in the base block. Now days I just clamp the square blank into a scroll chuck.
JimSame here.:wink::D