PDA

View Full Version : Yet another bowl

cqvillas
26th December 2009, 10:32 AM
Hi All,

Had a chance to make a friends wife the bowl she has been nagging me about for quite a while. It's made from Black Wattle with a Gidgee base. I nearly gave up on the piece of BW as it was cracking as I was turning, but I decided to persevere, glad I did in the end. It stands about 100mm high & is approx 275mm in dia. The finish is 5 coats of 60% lacquer which has been polished.
Hope she likes it. Anyway though you might like to see a turned item.

Cheers,
Nev

Manuka Jock
26th December 2009, 11:05 AM
'struth , thats a shiny bowl :U

Nice grain too :2tsup:

orraloon
26th December 2009, 01:40 PM
Nev,
You got an impressive finish on that one. Nice bowl.
Regards
John

Stef
26th December 2009, 05:26 PM
Nice bowl and finish, i dont mind a shine.

That ought to make her happy.

Cheers Stef.

Ad de Crom
26th December 2009, 07:34 PM
Yes, it is a very nice bowl, very shiny.
Maybe a bit too shiny.
Yacht lacquer ??
Ad

artme
27th December 2009, 12:11 AM
Love the bowl and the timber it's made from Nev.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Not such a fan of really glassy finishes on anything but very small items. Just a personal preference.

Texian
27th December 2009, 02:10 AM
No need to get married if you already have a friend's wife to nag you.

Nice bowl Nev. I like shiny, deep, high gloss, glassy finishes. I certainly wouldn't buy a new car/truck with a semi-gloss or satin finish. Would you?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th December 2009, 02:32 PM
:D I wouldn't buy a new car/truck with a wood-grain finish, either!

Personally, I dislike high-gloss finishes on pieces that have interesting grain... for the same reason that I dislike high-gloss finishes on photographs. It makes it hard to see the details.

Nevertheless, aesthetic arguments aside, that's a very nice piece of work! Black Wattle can be a right pain to turn and the finish is well done. :2tsup:

Texian
28th December 2009, 04:54 AM
Good point Skew. High gloss is not appropriate for everything, especially if the wood already has a lot going for it.

Manuka Jock
28th December 2009, 05:28 AM
The first thing I ever turned , at high school , was a rimu bowl . A thick chunky thing , that today I would consider to be a rough turned blank :rolleyes:
My dad sanded it to within a inch of it's life , and varnished it with multiple coats , to a super high gloss .
The finish far outshines the turning :U

I doubt that my mum has ever put anything in that bowl .
Not even dust is allowed in it :oo:

High gloss has its place ....... in the china cabinet :D

Wilco Flier
28th December 2009, 09:27 PM
Wow, it looks like glass. How do you do that?

cqvillas
29th December 2009, 11:03 AM
Hi Wilco,

I sprayed on 5 coats of 60% lacquer. In between each coat I lightly rubbed the surface with 0000 steel wool. Over the last coat I used 1200 grit sandpaper & water to remove the "orange peel" effect and then cut it back with an automotive polish (forget the name at the moment).

Cheers,
Nev

Evan Pavlidis
30th December 2009, 05:02 AM
Yep.....I would say your friend's wife will like the bowl.

:2tsup: :2tsup:

Cheers, Evan