PDA

View Full Version : NEW Veritas® Bench Blade

Groggy
26th December 2009, 11:28 PM
Back in November I received a small package from Lee Valley, courtesy of Rob Lee. Inside were a couple of new Veritas® products for me to have a look at and comment on. There were two items in the package, it contained the just released 'Bench Blades (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=64685&cat=51&ap=1)'. The following were my thoughts on these items.

Purpose - what is it for?
First, to give readers some perspective, what is this device intended to do? At first glance it is a simple bench dog style clamp, it has a limited throw of 1/4" which may initially seem too small. However, it is designed primarily for repetitive work with thin stock with the same dimensions, and that is where it excels. The quick release and minimal movement means workpieces can be swapped out in seconds.

Usage
Since they are intended to be used with multiple items with the same dimensions you will need to consider how to hold the opposite end. I tried a number of methods and the one that suited the best was a tack strip nailed into the bench leaving 1/8 to 1/4" spare for the blade to engage when the lever was swung. A variety of clamps and dogs simply were not as versatile as a simple tack strip.

Note that although the photos show the clamp being used lengthways, they can also be used with great effect on the side of the material as well.

First impressions on initial inspection

Initially I felt there was limited 'throw' on the cam which would restrict their use in a 100mm grid of dog holes and I felt the other end of the work-piece would need spacers to shim any gap. In practice I found it not to be an issue as the tack strip worked simply and quickly.

I like the locking shaft version as it offers a stronger fixing than a jam fit if needed, it appears to have borrowed the concept from the other bench devices LV sell. my only concern was that I needed a hex key. I use planes a bit and I fear it will disappear under the shavings. :-

Packaging
I particularly like the packaging. Simple, direct and not over the top. It does its job and no more. Recyclable.

Instructions
The instructions cover the essentials about the item and how to operate it. No wasted paper here.

Set-up after learning curve
Inserting and activating the blades is very simple and logical. It is adequately described in the instructions and could be easily determined without assistance from the instructions. Once in place the (wedge lock) blade was simple to operate and did not pose any problems. To operate it is essential to ensure the correct distance from the work piece otherwise it may not lock correctly.

Clamping
I tried a few methods to secure the opposite end:
• F-clamp and stop. Use of the F-clamp met mixed success. Putting the clamp too close to the work piece results in the plane hitting the clamp, therefore it must be moved further away. This means the thin stop is unsupported and can flex when the blade is used. I found this bowed the stop and the work piece.
• F-clamp and stop (again). Using a piece of steel in lieu of a wooden stop failed. When the cam was used it pushed the steel back under the clamp pad. Lateral force overcame the friction from the clamp
• Festool quick clamp. This is a low profile quick locking clamp that I used on the side of the bench. In use I found the blade again imparted enough force to push the clamp aside.
• Tack strip. Using the time honoured approach of the galoot I tacked a thin strip to the bench at the appropriate place. This worked very well until I needed to dress a slightly shorter work piece.

Usage
Two types of timber were planed with a Veritas #4½. Mahogany was chosen as a soft timber and New Guinea Rosewood was chosen as a more demanding work piece. No problems were found using either.

Face work
Working the faces was easy and no issues were encountered. The opposite stop came loose with the F-clamp but with the scrap nailed to the bench there were no further issues. Long unsupported stops at the opposite end tend to bow and lift when clamping pressure is applied. The ten or so strips were very quickly released and replaced, making this an ideal way to clamp numerous items the same size.

Edge work
It can be difficult to hold small pieces on their edge and plane them. Clamping them in a vise can be tricky. So long as the finished dimension is to be more than 1/4" the bench blade is very useful to hold narrow stock. It can clamp from the side to stop flexing yet remain clear of the plane's blade.

Summary
The blades are a useful addition to the workbench and a clever idea. Once properly braced at the other end it was a pleasure to plane without worrying I’d score my blades. The low profile of the blades is great and I am sure I will continue to think of new ways to use them. The only shortcoming is it can be a bit fiddly to set up for a single work-piece but using tack strips that issue goes away

John Saxton
27th December 2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks Greg, for this insight into another innovative product from Lee Valley.

Without a doubt a real handy bench tool to assist in holding timber where needed in place for surface work etc.

Always interested to see whats at the forefront of new and interesting product from them.

Cheers:)