PDA

View Full Version : ozito cordless drill

jarthel
29th December 2009, 02:17 AM
The drill that I got came with various accessories like bits/screwdrivers/etc (I have a feeling the accessories are POS though).

It was cheap and I'm not a tradeperson nor a hobbyist that requires me to use a drill often. I only need it once every month or every 2 months.

would you recommend this drill set to a person like me? I can still return it since I haven't opened it.

thank you

ps. is ozito connected to bunnings? I asked because the salesguy was recommending it over a bosch. thank again

rowdyflat
29th December 2009, 06:39 AM
If you dont use it often + leave the batteries flat + dont trickle charge the batteries I'm sorry but it wont be any good = get a 240v one.

Batpig
29th December 2009, 08:17 AM
Dear Jarthal,

Rowdy has got it spot-on. Without regular use, cheaper Rechargeables are going to let you down every time you pick them up. Yep - better off corded...

Best Wishes,
Batpig.

P.S. My unconfirmed understanding is that Wesfarmers - who owns the BigB - also owns Ozito. Some of them are good tools though; just stay away from the cordless...

bluegum30
29th December 2009, 08:43 AM
good advice has been offered ,my cheap g m c cordless drill also needs to be used often or the batteries go flat and only get up to holding good charge if i charge it at least 3 times and then use it a bit in sucession then it is ok to use.:(if you don't use a drill a fair bit best to get a small corded drill .:)

derekh
29th December 2009, 10:07 AM
I, for one, am very happy with my Ozito cordless. It gets used semi-frequently and with two batteries never lets me down. My Ozito, SCMS, router and welder also do well for my DIY jobs around the house. My 240v drill is a green Bosch and it is great and my 9 1/4" circular saw is a blue Makita. I could not afford big name brands for all my tools, so a mix suits me well.

My 2c worth.
Derek

jarthel
29th December 2009, 10:28 AM
If you dont use it often + leave the batteries flat + dont trickle charge the batteries I'm sorry but it wont be any good = get a 240v one.

though I can't use a corded one with screwdriver bits (and etc) because it's too fast?

Mulgabill
29th December 2009, 10:48 AM
On a job and needed a drill, so went to bunnies and got me a Ozito cordless. The battery is OK but it gets regular use now, however the chuck leaves much to be desired. It wont tighten up on drill bits:(. But I got what I paid for and it got me out of a spot at the time.

Batpig
29th December 2009, 11:51 AM
Dear Jarthel,

though I can't use a corded one with screwdriver bits (and etc) because it's too fast?
You'll find that most Corded Drills will cope very nicely with the lower speeds required to put screws in; you typically just squeeze the trigger a little less to go slower. Just don't get one of those high-speed ones with 6mm Chucks that are meant for drilling out aluminium rivets.

Just by the by, if you can really see yourself putting in quite a lot of screws - to the point where it could start to make sense to have two drills on the go - have a think about this little baby from Ozito:

Ozito Australia | Power Tools, Garden Tools, Sold through Bunnings Warehouse (http://www.ozito.com.au/productinfo.aspx?prodid=DDG-560V)

They are more or less unique in their class as being the only Corded Drill on the market here in Oz that has a Clutch (ie. like a Cordless...) Having said that, you could also do the job they're meant to do with a Corded Screwgun, but they are usually around $300 or so, whereas the Ozito is only about $36 at the BigB. The BigO (as in Ozito...) told me by e-mail a couple of years ago that it is their best selling Drill, and I'm planning to get one of them this year because there will be some more Skirting onto brick to do, and it will let me have 3 different Drills on the go (It's complicated...:doh:).

It would be too low-powered to be any good for self-drilling into timber (ie. like when fixing Plasterboard, for example...), but would be spot-on for driving screws into timber where the hole has already been predrilled and countersunk. Cheap, no Bit-swapping to worry about, and no Batteries to go flat on you.

Like others have already said, a Corded Bosch "Greenie" would be a very good and somewhat economical way to go for your main Drill, as some of them are not made in China (have a good look at the stickers on the side...)

Best Wishes,
Batpig.