PDA

View Full Version : New laminated project

powderpost
30th December 2009, 11:15 PM
This one has been on the drawing board for over twelve months. It took that long to work out how to do it. So far all the laminated jobs have been based on straight cuts, easy enough to match. Curved joints are another matter. This one is a prototype, a learning process. I intend to make a similar project, but a bit more refined.
Made from black bean and silver ash, there are 250 pieces. There is six panels, each panel has four sections, plus a diagonal panel, just to make it interesting. :)
It is 150mm high and 140mm diameter. Took about three weeks to complete. The next one will have slightly different proportions and the panels will be more accurate, I hope :-
Jim

Ad de Crom
30th December 2009, 11:53 PM
Hey Jim, I understand why this keeps you busy for so a long time. Very interesting.
This prototype looks good.
Ad :2tsup:

Texian
31st December 2009, 09:44 AM
That's bludy marvelous Jim. +1 what Ad said.

Sawdust Maker
31st December 2009, 09:47 AM
Absolutely fantastic
You've obviously more patience then I :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
31st December 2009, 12:41 PM
Terrific work even for a prototype ...can't wait for subsequent ones :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

joe greiner
31st December 2009, 09:20 PM
Very, very, good. Surprised it took "only" 12 months. 24 would make more sense.

Cheers,
Joe

Harry72
2nd January 2010, 06:11 PM
Nice, what method do you use to cut the curves?

Hardenfast
4th January 2010, 01:15 PM
I haven't been here for quite a while, Jim. Just logged in to have a quick look around in between Uni and Tafe assignments, and to be very impressed with this piece. Makes me want to dust off the lathe and have a play - but I'll have to wait a while longer I'm afraid.
Most intriguing project. Having completed a few segmented pieces myself I can appreciate the difficulty in achieving such perfect symmetry, especially in curved profiles.
It would be great to see the inside of the piece. I don't suppose you have any WIP pics?

Wayne

wheelinround
4th January 2010, 01:21 PM
I haven't been here for quite a while, Jim. Just logged in to have a quick look around in between Uni and Tafe assignments, and to be very impressed with this piece. Makes me want to dust off the lathe and have a play - but I'll have to wait a while longer I'm afraid.
Most intriguing project. Having completed a few segmented pieces myself I can appreciate the difficulty in achieving such perfect symmetry, especially in curved profiles.
It would be great to see the inside of the piece. I don't suppose you have any WIP pics?

Wayne

Wayne dust the lathe off even i its not segmented work go on you know you want/need to:U Good to see your still poking your head in.

Jim another masterpiece :2tsup:

powderpost
4th January 2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. Must confess I was a bit surprised by the outcome. The second one is under way, with a series of photographs. Still refining the jigs to be universal. So far there has been four modifications, each one better than the previous.
The curves are cut on the band saw and "dressed" using jigs on the disc sander and a jig arrangement on the drill press. Female curves less the 2 1/4" are cut with a forstner bit and the male part is turned in the lathe.
Jim

Ozkaban
5th January 2010, 02:00 PM
That's unbelievable:2tsup: Top work. No wonder it too you twelve months to figure out how to do it...

Cheers,
Dave

coffenup
10th January 2010, 09:38 PM
another great job jim can't wait to see the second one
regards Michael

Gil Jones
11th January 2010, 05:18 PM
Beautiful segmenting work, and turning too.

Frank&Earnest
11th January 2010, 08:33 PM
Outstanding, Powderpost. In another thread there was discussion about prices and values. According to R Raffan rule of one dollar a minute, this work would have to be on sale for, say, $1200 (discounting the preparatory study), then doubled by a gallery's commission. No reason why segmentation work should be valued less than straight turning, is it?

jefferson
13th January 2010, 10:47 AM
Jim, very, very nice.

Good turning and great joinery. :2tsup: Still trying to figure out (by myself) how you clamped it all together..... :rolleyes: