PDA

View Full Version : MC 1100 lathe ( NZ 'Morgan')

Manuka Jock
31st December 2009, 12:42 PM
Gidday Folks ,
do any of you know if the MC1100 range of lathes can be fitted with the Teknatool Nova handwheel , (with a view to using the the vacuum coupler ) ?

hughie
31st December 2009, 03:08 PM
Having owned a MC1100 I dont see why not. Its all a matter of whats cost effective.

As to vac coupler have a look around at your local pneumatic suppliers ie Festo, SMC, Norgren etc. As they will have positive and negative coupler which will screw into the end of the MC1100 shaft. SMC look at the KX fitting range, Festo look at the QS,QSK,QSM range.

From memory the MC1100 thread size is 1/4bsp, but the check that. If you measure the internal dia of the existing thread on your MC1100 and take that into either Festo or SMC they should be able to sort it out in a few minutes. I don't think you would have to look for vac hose, the existing air line should do fine.

As to size, your probably looking at 6mm or 8mm at best, dia is not too important here as your not moving any great volume, but rather maintaining a vacuum.

Manuka Jock
31st December 2009, 06:01 PM
Having owned a MC1100 I dont see why not. Its all a matter of whats cost effective.

As to vac coupler have a look around at your local pneumatic suppliers ie Festo, SMC, Norgren etc. As they will have positive and negative coupler which will screw into the end of the MC1100 shaft. SMC look at the KX fitting range, Festo look at the QS,QSK,QSM range.

From memory the MC1100 thread size is 1/4bsp, but the check that. If you measure the internal dia of the existing thread on your MC1100 and take that into either Festo or SMC they should be able to sort it out in a few minutes. I don't think you would have to look for vac hose, the existing air line should do fine.

As to size, your probably looking at 6mm or 8mm at best, dia is not too important here as your not moving any great volume, but rather maintaining a vacuum.
Cheers for that Hughie.
Lots of info there , but the query is specific to the Teknatool Nova vacuum system , and for that , the Nova hand wheel is what it is mounted into .
No pneumatic suppliers are needed , a simple household vacuum cleaner works excellently .
This is for a mate's lathe , and we don't have the specs for the thread size at the back end of the headstock .

Jock .

woodwork wally
2nd January 2010, 07:08 PM
Hi
I believe the mc1100/900 lathes have a left hand thread in there either that or mine was modified prior to my ownership so best to check that as well as diameter but an engineering shop can make anything fit Its just a matter of cost as t/tool and mc are NOT directlycompatible. sorry to be a beare of sad tidings cheers for now ww.wally

Manuka Jock
2nd January 2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks Wally .
Yes , looking at it again after Hughie's post , I figure the same . An adaptor will be in order , and after that it should be plain sailing .

cheers ,
Jock