PDA

View Full Version : Newfoundland Trap Skiff

disco
25th August 2004, 12:58 PM
Any one in Oz building a Ducktrap Newfoundland Trap Skiff,need to know if any problems building off the plans.Believe there are a number of plan sets in the country.Also what HP motor, petrol or diesel would suit the above 19' lapstrake hull

From Disco

Christopha
26th August 2004, 03:00 PM
Any pics?

disco
3rd October 2004, 11:33 PM
Beeeen waiting along time boys,and all the tools are sharpened and ready to rock and roll.Go to Ducktrap Woodworking for a pic.Want to know if any one in Oz is building one.Need help with aust timber selection bow ,keel stern etc.
Building apoxy lapstrake .Best timber and plywood to use for a lad on a tight budget So start Tap-Tap-Tapping the keyboard lads the info would be Apprec

Signed Disco

bitingmidge
4th October 2004, 07:23 AM
I guess we were waiting for the link!

Looks like a bit of a steep learning curve if this is your first go.

Doesn't look like it suits a motor particularly, judging from the pic on the web.

As for materials: even on a tight budget..don't compromise on the materials, unless you are only doing it for fun! If you are going to put as much effort in as you will need to complete this one, you may as well have something that looks the part and performs as well as it can.

Go and talk to the guys at Marine Timbers or Boatcraft Pacific at Mulgrave, and they'll give you the rundown on glues, timbers, and even plans that are suitable for your level of experience.

Let us know how you got on too?

Cheers,

P

barnsey
4th October 2004, 01:36 PM
Nice looking unit disco - very impressive. :)

You mentioned motors :confused: I would have though conventional sailing rig or a modern sloop rig or even a gaff rig would be the go ;)

Keep us posted on how you are going :D

Jamie

bplank
19th October 2008, 04:43 PM
Hey, this is a great project. Its a beautiful boat and an excellent sailer. I come from a long line of shipbuilders here in Newfoundland, Canada. Historicly, this particular design never carried an engine. It was either rowed or sailed. You could encorporate a small gasoline engine I guess, but this would require some extensive modifications to the keel and stern for a shaft and a stuffing box. You would also loose alot of space inboard by adding an engine housing.