PDA

View Full Version : Timber for Stairs and Top of Half Wall??

isaac.parkes
4th January 2010, 09:20 PM
I'm doing some renovations at home and have built some steps (3 treads) and some half wall. I would like to put some timber accross the top of the half walls and the matching timber on the steps. Could anyone suggest a good hardwood timber to use and where would I get it from in the Newcastle area?
Do I dress the timber myself once I have bought it or do you buy it already dressed.
Any help would be much appricated as I have no knowledge about timber.
Thanks
Isaac

Stopper
7th January 2010, 07:46 PM
Isaac,
Are your stairs and wall internal or external?
If external will there be any contact with the ground or moist areas?
Do you have a preference for timber colour - reds, browns?

This will help with suggestions.

regards
Steve

isaac.parkes
11th January 2010, 10:29 AM
Hi Steve,
The stairs and the half wall are internal.
I have look at a shop called Marshal Timbers at Cardiff who have a good range of hardwood. It is just hard to see what the timber would looked like once it is sanded and polished.
I am after a hardwood that has lots of knots and is dark (preferably not red)

Stopper
14th January 2010, 07:22 PM
Isaac
Sawmillers strive to avoid knots in their hardwood boards. Knots lower the strength of the board but you still may be able to find something suitable with a few knots here and there and some nice grain.
Your timber should be dry, preferably kiln dried. You may be able to find some timber that has been "skimmed". Which means it has been lightly dressed to show defects or faults.
You will be better off checking out what your local timber outlets have in stock rather than going to them and asking for a specific species that they may have to buy in. Any kiln dried hardwood will be OK for internal use.

regards
Steve

isaac.parkes
17th January 2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for your help steve, I have decided to use Jarrah

Stopper
18th January 2010, 06:23 PM
Good choice.

cheers
Steve