PDA

View Full Version : What pen kit

Rum Pig
5th January 2010, 08:44 AM
I have to make a pen set (fountain and rollerball) as a thank you to my solicitor she is only young and as you would have read female and already a partner in her firm.

I was initially thinking something like Majestic but I thought they might be to big for a female.

So what kit can you recommend out of the high end range of kits remembering it is for a lady??

Oh if possible available in OZ but will look at alternatives, all recommendation appreciated.

I will probably use Brown Mallee that Peter (Penpal) kindly sent to me if that helps.

Thank you in advance:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
5th January 2010, 09:08 AM
I've made the silver sedonas for the girls here at work (wedding pens)
They seem to like them and like using them.
Brett at Addictive has both the sedonas and barons (very similar pens) in both rollerball and fountain and in a number of finishes

gawdelpus
5th January 2010, 09:27 AM
Check out the "cambridge" kits ,quite ornate ,but not over sized :)

Rum Pig
5th January 2010, 09:31 AM
I've made the silver sedonas for the girls here at work (wedding pens)
They seem to like them and like using them.
Brett at Addictive has both the sedonas and barons (very similar pens) in both rollerball and fountain and in a number of finishes
Thanks for that they are a nice looking kit:2tsup:
But I was thinking a little higher end this lady charges $2000 just to talk to her.
If I cant find one higher then that will be a strong possibility.
Thank you:)

Rum Pig
5th January 2010, 09:34 AM
Check out the "cambridge" kits ,quite ornate ,but not over sized :)
While I was checking out the Sedonas I seen the Cambridge hybrid kit but it is only in a fountain pen can you convert it to a rollerball with parts from another kit?

gawdelpus
5th January 2010, 09:36 AM
Hehe! have a look at these then :) at GPW (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107136753) should be something there to interest , cheers ~ John

Rum Pig
5th January 2010, 09:45 AM
Hehe! have a look at these then :) at GPW (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107136753) should be something there to interest , cheers ~ John
I have had a look there and yes that is the sort of thing I'm after but they do not say how big there Jr range are, are they still big like their full blown brothers? are to big for a lady to use comfortably?

Sawdust Maker
5th January 2010, 09:46 AM
John

yep some nice looking pens - I'm going to have to go upmarket

RP
you might have to ask GPW for the bush sizes to work out the finished thickness of those pens

Swino
5th January 2010, 10:15 AM
I made both the Junior Statesman and Junior Marshall from GPW for Christmas presents - both size wise are suitable for a ladies hand and finish as a lovely pen.

Todd

Rum Pig
5th January 2010, 10:55 AM
John

yep some nice looking pens - I'm going to have to go upmarket

RP
you might have to ask GPW for the bush sizes to work out the finished thickness of those pens
I was thinking that thank you:)

I made both the Junior Statesman and Junior Marshall from GPW for Christmas presents - both size wise are suitable for a ladies hand and finish as a lovely pen.

Todd
Cheers:) I might go with one of these kits witch do you think was the better?

Swino
5th January 2010, 11:08 AM
The Junior Statesman certainly looked the more elegant pen with the gold on the centreband and top of the cap - this was dressed in black palm.

The Junior marshall was for a person that doesn't like yellow gold - timber red coolabah burl.

I should have taken photos before I gave them away.

Cheers,

Todd

BoomerangInfo
5th January 2010, 12:19 PM
That's the problem, most of the high end kits are large. When my ladies at work want pens, they steer clear of any big stuff and all look at slimlines & their like, but want them in rollerballs.

You could look at the Dayacom pen from Timberbits in Rhodium, although it's mid range, not high end. I'm not sure how thick it is. I have a Jr Statesman from GPW kit that I bought for myself, but have yet to make it up. The cap looks a little larger than the Sedona, which many of the ladies at work say is too big for them. I wonder how big the Apollo Infinity from 043Turnng is? Also checkout his Broadwell Nouveau for one not seen a lot here. Once again, I don;t know how big either of these are.

Remember you can always go for a "cheaper" kit in a rhodium or titanium gold finish, then present it with a special blank and presentation case to "up" the class.

Russell.

Rum Pig
5th January 2010, 01:20 PM
That's the problem, most of the high end kits are large. When my ladies at work want pens, they steer clear of any big stuff and all look at slimlines & their like, but want them in rollerballs.

You could look at the Dayacom pen from Timberbits in Rhodium, although it's mid range, not high end. I'm not sure how thick it is. I have a Jr Statesman from GPW kit that I bought for myself, but have yet to make it up. The cap looks a little larger than the Sedona, which many of the ladies at work say is too big for them. I wonder how big the Apollo Infinity from 043Turnng is? Also checkout his Broadwell Nouveau for one not seen a lot here. Once again, I don;t know how big either of these are.

Remember you can always go for a "cheaper" kit in a rhodium or titanium gold finish, then present it with a special blank and presentation case to "up" the class.

Russell.
I like the look of the Broadwell might give Mark a buzz and see what size they are thanks for the suggestions:)

corbs
5th January 2010, 01:22 PM
Jr Victors from Timberbits could also be an option. I have sold a few to females who like the size and the quality of fittings is very nice too:2tsup:

Rum Pig
5th January 2010, 01:27 PM
Jr Victors from Timberbits could also be an option. I have sold a few to females who like the size and the quality of fittings is very nice too:2tsup:
They are a nice kit but I keep them as part of my stock pens so I was looking for something different but they are possible contender if the others turn out to big.
Cheers

edblysard
5th January 2010, 02:00 PM
Not real sure about the legal procedures there, but here in Texas, all legal documents that are to be filed with a court of law must be signed in black ink only.
Fountain pens are acceptable, but not the normal, because of the smearing problem, so most of the attorneys use ball point, or roller ball pens.
The gel pens are becoming popular.
With that in mind, a Sierra Elegant Beauty dressed in say, True Stone, or one of the Aussie Burls might work…small and light enough for a woman’s hand , fits in a purse well and good for daily use…add a gel refill and it works on legal documents quite well.

Rum Pig
5th January 2010, 02:15 PM
Not real sure about the legal procedures there, but here in Texas, all legal documents that are to be filed with a court of law must be signed in black ink only.
Fountain pens are acceptable, but not the normal, because of the smearing problem, so most of the attorneys use ball point, or roller ball pens.
The gel pens are becoming popular.
With that in mind, a Sierra Elegant Beauty dressed in say, True Stone, or one of the Aussie Burls might work…small and light enough for a woman’s hand , fits in a purse well and good for daily use…add a gel refill and it works on legal documents quite well.
I had not considered that side of the coin. But I was intending on making a set rollerball and fountain pen so that side should be fine.
I do like the Elegant beauty's I use an Aussie one for my work with the gel refill.
But once again they are part of my standard stock pens and I was looking for something just that bit extra.

I guess I'm seeing untaped pool of money here If I can wow her with these not only will she be grateful for the kind gesture but might show her colleagues who are not short of the foldable stuff:; So I'm really keen to impress.
Having said that I must say if nothing comes out of it I will not be upset as I do owe her a big thank you anyway.

edblysard
5th January 2010, 02:23 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k143/edblysard/indiannights004.jpg
The Elegant Beauties can now be had with the heavy gold plating and platinum finish, a little more classy than the normal Beauty…not a cheap kit, these sell retail for $18.99 American where I work.
Although I can see the appeal of a screw top fountain pen, they are more closely associated with quality and class, and unusual enough to stand out in a society used to mass produced items.

arose62
5th January 2010, 10:24 PM
Or make something "kitless" - totally customised.

My very first pen was a miniature gavel
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f69/37971d1168384336-my-first-efforts-both.jpg

Most folks associate "gavel" with "legal stuff", so a gavel may be an appropriate gift. I made one as a joke, and ended up selling two of them!

See http://www.woodworkforums.com/f40/what-ive-been-up-29518/#post281733 for a pic.

Cheers,
Andrew

Dorno
5th January 2010, 10:37 PM
Broadwell Nouve seems a good pick to me having put a pic on here a week or so ago. They do look a nice and different sort of pen to others.

Cheers Ian

funkychicken
5th January 2010, 11:00 PM
Women don't generally "get" pens like men do, so a really fancy pen (Emperor, Majestic) might be a good as a lesser (Gent, Statesman) to her. Also, super fancy ones are a bit out of place in every day use, unless you're a king of some sort.

Sierras and EBs are good looking and well balanced, the platinum and titanium ones of course, not the plastic ones

ciscokid
6th January 2010, 02:39 AM
The Junior Statesman is a very small, elegant pen. Perfectly suited for a smaller ladies hand. With the German-made Schmidt rollerball cartridge, in black of course, it would be perfect for her to sign documents. I just made one in amboyna burl and it measures 5" long (closed), the cap is 9/16" in diameter, the timber part of the body measures 1/2", and the rhodium plated part where you grasp when writing measures 5/16" diameter. The cap does not post (nor should it in my opinion) and when in use the pen measures 4-5/8" in length. Here are some photos of one with some US currency for scale and also next to a full size Statesman for comparison. With the high end plating and appointments, this should suit the most discriminating professional. It will get noticed in meetings - mine do. I believe the kits go for around $30 USD. Hope this helps! :)

Rum Pig
6th January 2010, 08:32 AM
Women don't generally "get" pens like men do, so a really fancy pen (Emperor, Majestic) might be a good as a lesser (Gent, Statesman) to her. Also, super fancy ones are a bit out of place in every day use, unless you're a king of some sort.

Sierras and EBs are good looking and well balanced, the platinum and titanium ones of course, not the plastic ones
As I said earlier this lady charges $2000 just to have a chat and then if I remember it $5000 deposit before she would start work and I can tell you that $5000 deposit did not last long. So when you earn that sort of money I think you would get away with a super fancy pen laying around on your desk.

The Junior Statesman is a very small, elegant pen. Perfectly suited for a smaller ladies hand. With the German-made Schmidt rollerball cartridge, in black of course, it would be perfect for her to sign documents. I just made one in amboyna burl and it measures 5" long (closed), the cap is 9/16" in diameter, the timber part of the body measures 1/2", and the rhodium plated part where you grasp when writing measures 5/16" diameter. The cap does not post (nor should it in my opinion) and when in use the pen measures 4-5/8" in length. Here are some photos of one with some US currency for scale and also next to a full size Statesman for comparison. With the high end plating and appointments, this should suit the most discriminating professional. It will get noticed in meetings - mine do. I believe the kits go for around $30 USD. Hope this helps! :)
Thanks for that I will need to find someone who can convert these funny measurements :U for me but that comparison photos does help thank you.

Sawdust Maker
6th January 2010, 10:03 AM
Those Jnr Statesmen look pretty nifty to me

Just one point - most legal docs in Aust don't require a specific colour (ie black as in the US). We tend to sign court documents in blue - that way it is always easy to determine which is the original. Some forms require black - like passport applications (I think)

what firm does this young lady work for?
just curious

Simomatra
6th January 2010, 10:08 AM
The Dayacom is also a good choice but you will have to go OS for the FP. The fountain pen does not come in rhodium either.

I tried to swap a Jnr statesman FP nib over but then the cap will not fit back on, the length is to long.

Rum Pig
6th January 2010, 11:44 AM
Those Jnr Statesmen look pretty nifty to me

Just one point - most legal docs in Aust don't require a specific colour (ie black as in the US). We tend to sign court documents in blue - that way it is always easy to determine which is the original. Some forms require black - like passport applications (I think)

what firm does this young lady work for?
just curious
Phoned a solicitor and asked about ink for legal documents and they said it used to be black only but now it can be blue or black and they went on to say that have relaxed those rules due to the quality of scanners and printers these days apparently blue did not copy to good so that is why it was black only. So ink is not a problem

Mark from 043 informed me that the Broadwell is 13 mm in the body and the cap tapers from 15 - 17 mm.
My EB that I use is 12mm in the body so I think that should be OK. Might be a bit heavy if she writes with the cap on.

Still open to suggestion

Buzz
6th January 2010, 12:40 PM
My vote would be for the Jr Statesman too. I think its the most elaborate of the mid size pens and comparable in size to the Sedona, which is always a popular choice for ladies.

One point to consider. Even if you are presenting them to her in a nice box, also include a wallet or pouch for them too. Women don’t carry them in shirt or jacket pocket, and something to protect them in a handbag or briefcase is important.

Rum Pig
6th January 2010, 01:13 PM
My vote would be for the Jr Statesman too. I think its the most elaborate of the mid size pens and comparable in size to the Sedona, which is always a popular choice for ladies.

One point to consider. Even if you are presenting them to her in a nice box, also include a wallet or pouch for them too. Women don’t carry them in shirt or jacket pocket, and something to protect them in a handbag or briefcase is important.
That is a bloody good idea thank you very much:2tsup::2tsup:

funkychicken
6th January 2010, 09:22 PM
As I said earlier this lady charges $2000 just to have a chat and then if I remember it $5000 deposit before she would start work and I can tell you that $5000 deposit did not last long. So when you earn that sort of money I think you would get away with a super fancy pen laying around on your desk.

One other thing about super fancy pens is the weight, Emperors are heavy sods. I think a junior statesman is the go

schaf
6th January 2010, 09:33 PM
I must have the wrong slant on life. Why would you wish to give your solicitor a gift for her services. Did she do the work or give the advice for free ?.

Terry

shazzkim
6th January 2010, 10:29 PM
Hey Rumpig, I'd go for a majestic jnr in Black Tn/ Platinum for both rollerball and fountain pen. Not as big but still heavy enough to tell you that you have a quality pen in your hand. Sometimes gold can cheapen the look IMHO. Penn State Have them. Not sure if anyone else down here does.
Just my two cents.
Kim

Rum Pig
7th January 2010, 08:24 AM
I must have the wrong slant on life. Why would you wish to give your solicitor a gift for her services. Did she do the work or give the advice for free ?.

Terry
She did do work for me and charged accordingly:o BUT in my opinion she did go above and beyond her duties and she did save me several hundred thousand dollars and this was at a time witch I had so many other things going on. She basically took the stress out of a lawsuit for me and then won it:U I will not go into detail but what she did for me I appreciated it so I would like to say thanks.

Hey Rumpig, I'd go for a majestic jnr in Black Tn/ Platinum for both rollerball and fountain pen. Not as big but still heavy enough to tell you that you have a quality pen in your hand. Sometimes gold can cheapen the look IMHO. Penn State Have them. Not sure if anyone else down here does.
Just my two cents.
Kim
I did not know they made a Jr majestic I will have a look thank you.

schaf
7th January 2010, 05:48 PM
Cheers Rumbo,then maybe she does deserve.
Congratulations no the win.

Terry

shazzkim
8th January 2010, 11:50 AM
And might I add, I would love to live in a town called "Humpty Doo". That has got to be the coolest name for a town that I have heard of.
Let us all in on which kit you choose.
Kim

salty72
9th January 2010, 08:50 AM
You colud try the broadwell nouveau (http://043turning.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=489)very nice pen and well ballanced.

The cap does tapper out to what appears, when measured to be a large diameter. but because of the tapper it, provides a very refined and elegant look. with out being OTT.
hope this helps

Mark

Mr Vic
9th January 2010, 04:50 PM
Have a look at this kit from Craft Supply USA (Can probably find from Overseas sources) This kit, in Rhodium finish, embodies Simple Elegance with out the gaudiness of somekit. It's available in both fountain and Schmidt roller ball. After searching all over it's the pen I chose for a personal fountain.

Americana Rollerball Pen Kit - Woodturners Catalog - Woodworking tools and supplies specializing in woodturning. (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Rollerball___Fountain_Pen_Kits___Americana_Rollerball_Pen_Kit___amer_rf_pen?Args)=

Just an opinion from a Yank..

Mr Vic

Rum Pig
21st January 2010, 04:18 PM
I have decided to go with the Broadwell nouveau from 043turning.
I have placed my order any paid my bill now I just have to wait for their arrival:U

BoomerangInfo
21st January 2010, 06:10 PM
I have decided to go with the Broadwell nouveau from 043turning.
I have placed my order any paid my bill now I just have to wait for their arrival:U

Can't wait to see it. I need another excuse to invest in yet another pen style :rolleyes:

Russell.