PDA

View Full Version : advice on turned wood urns

dirk1609
6th January 2010, 08:15 PM
I have never made a turned urn and plain to as my next project for a friend that passed away.. Any ideas on shape, pics etc. Any idea on what it should hold for a 130lb female? Any advice on turning a urn?

Thank you
Derek

Mulgabill
7th January 2010, 08:43 AM
G'day Derek!
This topic has been covered before and this link; http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/been-asked-make-urn-87724/ has also further links which may be of interest.
Best wishes in your endeavors and I hope the result is a lasting memorial.

Rum Pig
7th January 2010, 02:30 PM
What ever you make I'm sure they (her family and friends) will love it because it will come from the hart.

I recently made one for my mums cat. I learnt two things size does matter and even if it is not the best turned job you have done the recipient will still treasure it because of what it hold and means to them. What I'm saying is just go with what you fell is right.

Good luck:2tsup:

Texian
8th January 2010, 10:00 AM
The guideline I have read is one cubic inch per pound of body weight. That would be 16.4 cubic centimeters (?).

dirk1609
8th January 2010, 10:22 AM
Thank you
I converted the cibic inch per pound idea into cups, and figured id need around 8 cups capicity. Updated the post with rough pic.

dirk1609
8th January 2010, 10:31 AM
just realized that you cant edit a post?

Pics will go here.
Friends husband requested Koa, who wouldnt in Hawaii. Main body is koa. She was a Coffee farmer so I would like to work some Coffee wood into the lid but im not sure how I want to do that yet or the shape. Im thinking something two tone with koa and coffee. Any ideas? I went with a pretty basic shape as this is my first project with hollowing tools and i did not want to distroy a fine piece of Koa by getting to fancy.

Wood was pretty dry according to my meter however I still turned it thick. sealed the ends and now its resting in my oven. The piliot light keeps my over just around 90 degrees, Perfect for slow drying.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee284/dirk1609/Picture126.jpg

GoGuppy
8th January 2010, 08:23 PM
............She was a Coffee farmer so I would like to work some Coffee wood into the lid but im not sure how I want to do that yet or the shape. Im thinking something two tone with koa and coffee. Any ideas? I went with a pretty basic shape as this is my first project with hollowing tools and i did not want to distroy a fine piece of Koa by getting to fancy............
Hi Dirk
Incorporating some Coffee wood into the design will be greatly appreciated, I am sure. I agree with keeping it simple, both for preventing a major turning catastrophy and also, as simple seems to be most appropriate for this particular application.
good luck with the urn.
cheers