PDA

View Full Version : I'm on Shed Probation

Ozkaban
8th January 2010, 01:22 PM
Yup, banned from shed for the rest of the month. To be fair to LOML, it's pretty justified!

I had a day off on Wednesday and decided to turn up a flattish bowl/platter out of a lump of Syd Blue Gum. Was going for the square edged platter look. After squaring the blank up on the tablesaw, I decided that being young(-ish) and stupid qualified me to skip the gluing on of sacrificial bits to keep the edges clean (and more importantly, visible). Figured I'd clean them up at the end on the TS again.

Anyway, I turned the outside of the bowl OK, sanded and finished it. Came up a treat :2tsup: Turned it around and mounted it on a chuck and started hollowing, being very careful not to let my fingers go across the tool rest. Stopped the lathe every so often to get a look at it and remember where the edges were. I'd knocked the tips off a bit (elongating them) and they were fairly sharp, which comes into the story pretty soon.

While backing off a bit to have a look, and to be honest I still have no %#^#^ idea how I did it, I let my left hand wander under the tool rest :no: Met with a Thocka-Thocka-Thocka sound, and a sharp pain across the back of my left index finger. Stopped the lathe and nearly fainted. Two nice, deepish cuts about 3-4cm long between my knuckle and fingernail. Apparently right above where the tendons in your fingers go :o

GP wasn't game to stitch it up, so send me to ER. Spent 5 hours waiting (even in a private hospital ER...) Apparently a healthy-ish guy with a bit of a sore finger doesn't amount to a high priority :shrug:

Turns out after a visual :o inspection of bone and tendons , I only nicked the tendon and was ok for stiching. Bone was hit, but not overly hard, if that's a good thing.

Anyway, now feeling decidely stupid about the whole thing and considering exactly what woodworking and woodturning means to me. With a wife and two young kids, is it sensible to have a hobby where you can end up in ER for a moments stupidity? Got the rest of the month and a painful finger to help me think about it. Thought about the darkside, but then realised I could still do a good job on my hands with a plane :roll:. But when I think about the beautiful shapes that come off the lathe...

Maybe it's just time to slow down, don't rush, really do take all of the precautions. Accept that you don't have time to 'whip something up'. Accept that there are more important things in life and that "risk" means the probability of something going wrong, and that if it does go wrong maybe you get a sore finger, maybe you lose it, or maybe worse.

Gotta stop typing - now officially a 3 minus 1 finger typist :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

PS. No photos, 'cos you don't want to see 'em. Trust me :o

RETIRED
8th January 2010, 01:29 PM
It don't take much, do it.

Fortunately not a lot of damage but I bet it will remind you for a while to keep your hands to yourself and not stick em into things that go round and round.:wink::D

rsser
8th January 2010, 01:37 PM
Ah mate.

Doesn't it make you feel dumb.

Best of luck with recovery.

wheelinround
8th January 2010, 01:54 PM
Dave firstly OUCH now what you go and do a dumb thing like that for (he says having done almost similar on a smaller scale with no damage).

Bet your father would at this stage look at you and say suck it up and get on with it.

Q. If you get an electric shock at work will it stop you using computers????:q

Ozkaban
8th January 2010, 02:02 PM
It don't take much, do it.
Yes. Yes it does...

Fortunately not a lot of damage but I bet it will remind you for a while to keep your hands to yourself and not stick em into things that go round and round.:wink::D
I once did a community woodworking course with a high school WW teacher as the instructor. I lines up to use a router table for the first time ever and asked him for safety advice. All i got was "don't put your hand in the spinning bit, it will ruin your day!" Guess he was right :rolleyes:

Ah mate. Doesn't it make you feel dumb.
yup...

Q. If you get an electric shock at work will it stop you using computers????:q
If I could get away with it :D

Texian
8th January 2010, 02:19 PM
I just hate when that happens (being banned from the shed). Hope you didn't bleed on the bowl. Hate when that happens too, and am very careful about it. But it's not the pain or the damage that teaches you not to do this again. It's that damned interminable wait in the ER waiting room. Or so I have been told.

Old farmer
8th January 2010, 04:09 PM
Hope your recovery goes well, Dave.

Your third last paragraph about your reponsibilities has it correct so we know your values are true. Good work!

rsser
8th January 2010, 04:20 PM
I have learned the hard way that for prompt attention you should rock up to Casualty with lots of blood. Something non-organic sticking out of the body really helps. Retro-fit if possible. A big sign around the neck saying 'Latex produces anaphylactic shock' is also useful.

Oh, and avoid Fri and Sat nights. There's always folk who play the attention game better then ;-}

Enfield Guy
8th January 2010, 04:23 PM
Any injury is no good. But at least it wasn't too bad, still have the fingers I gather. Hope it all heals up as it should and yeah, you can never be too careful and it's real easy to be too complacent. Get better soon
Have a rum to calm your nerves in the mean time.
Cheers

wheelinround
8th January 2010, 04:23 PM
Dave my apologies for the way I typed my last post.

I have changed my attitude and reviewed my thoughts it will be sad to see you give up the art of turning but if that what has to be............then so be it.................but

:D I've got first dibs on all your gear :;

hughie
8th January 2010, 04:25 PM
I have learned the hard way that for prompt attention you should rock up to Casualty with lots of blood. Something non-organic sticking out of the body really helps. Retro-fit if possible. A big sign around the neck saying 'Latex produces anaphylactic shock' is also useful.
Oh, and avoid Fri and Sat nights. There's always folk who play the attention game better then ;-

Ern too much experience for me :U I try and avoid casualty like the plague

rsser
8th January 2010, 04:32 PM
Sorry Neil; some exp. from 3 kids and an ole phart who should know better.

Maybe there's a market for a guide ;-

Ozkaban
8th January 2010, 04:34 PM

Oh, and avoid Fri and Sat nights. There's always folk who play the attention game better then ;-}

:doh:

brilliant idea. Instead of turning up with a nicely bandaged finger and a semi-diognosis from a GP, I should have removed the bandage and applied copious amounts of tomato sauce, then feinted when I got through the ER door :D

Ozkaban
8th January 2010, 04:35 PM
Dave my apologies for the way I typed my last post.

I have changed my attitude and reviewed my thoughts it will be sad to see you give up the art of turning but if that what has to be............then so be it.................but

:D I've got first dibs on all your gear :;

:D will keep you in mind!

wheelinround
8th January 2010, 04:37 PM
Ern too much experience for me :U I try and avoid casualty like the plague

Yeh but North Shore compared to Liverpool so would I

rsser
8th January 2010, 04:39 PM
You've got the idea Dave.

Next effort your target is in and out in 3 hours!

... PS: I sometimes cheat and use my title. Staff then assume I'm a medico rather than a useless PhD. Gets respect I tell ya. You can buy a Doctorate for $50 on the web. Gives you better plane seat allocation too. ROFLMAO

Ozkaban
8th January 2010, 04:47 PM
You've got the idea Dave.

Next effort your target is in and out in 3 hours!

... PS: I sometimes cheat and use my title. Staff then assume I'm a medico rather than a useless PhD. Gets respect I tell ya. You can buy a Doctorate for $50 on the web. Gives you better plane seat allocation too. ROFLMAO

:rofl: Alomst worth the extra couple of years at uni :D

Ozkaban
8th January 2010, 04:49 PM
Yeh but North Shore compared to Liverpool so would I

Hornsby Hospital (AKA "the possum house") for free.

SAN Wahroonga $230.

I paid :D

wheelinround
8th January 2010, 04:56 PM
Hornsby Hospital (AKA "the possum house") for free.

SAN Wahroonga $230.

I paid :D

Yeh but Dave you also paid for the Key to Heaven the fee's they still owe to the Chaimberlins solicitors, and the Dingo keeper.

Sawdust Maker
8th January 2010, 11:11 PM
Dave
have just tuned in
Sorry to read about your near disaster
no doubt you will look after the safety aspects next time.
and yep you're young but that doesn't mean indestructible. Tis a good thought to think about repercussions with the family. Me I think about the pain - I think I'm allergic to it :D

and ignore wheellin'
I've go first dibs on your timber, cause I live closer

Get better quickly and safely

And Ern,
often thought about my masters and suchlike and then bought a lathe :p

Ed Reiss
8th January 2010, 11:54 PM
Dave, you summed it up beautifully with two words - "Don't rush". When you do it certainly leads to an accident just begging to happen.

Get better buddy...on the bright side, ya' still have the right hand for hoisting up a couple, three cold ones:U

Tim Self
9th January 2010, 01:17 AM
I'm just glad it wasn't too serious. Always best to slow down and re-evaluate.

Texian
9th January 2010, 11:02 AM
And you are really, REALLY gonna hate it if you ever hear your wife say "Oh crap, not again". This scenario is best avoided with lots of forethought, planning, and extra care. Or so I have been told.

Heal fast and take care Dave.

tea lady
9th January 2010, 11:13 AM
:C Sorry to hear Oz. Just get back on the horse I reckon. But WITH the safety gear! :rolleyes::)

munruben
9th January 2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry to hear of your mishap Dave, Just count it as a wake up call and be more careful and take your time mate, There's no rush, it wont go away, it will be there the next day if you don't finish it today.

NeilS
9th January 2010, 12:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your injury, Dave.

Pleased to hear it wasn't worse.

Thank you for the reminder.

Happy healing.

woodwork wally
9th January 2010, 05:03 PM
SHeeeeeeeeeeet that hurts:oo: been there done that [not quite as bad ]:doh::B sorry about your enforced holiday from the shed but believe me "it hurts when you get back on the horse too soon":no: Tried that too [Buuggerrr] and threw the gouge left handed into the round file:~:~. Just rest and get back into it when its comfortable:2tsup::D cheers mate www

Ozkaban
9th January 2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks all. Actually snuck back into the shed to look at the bowl. Definitely gonna finish it :cool:

Texian - if I ever hear those words, I am in deep, deep trouble. You'd see a lathe, triton, bandsaw, etc on the marketplace the next day :oo:

Cheers,
Dave

Grumpy John
9th January 2010, 06:01 PM
Sorry to hear of your accident mate, I hope this doesn't make you gun shy next time you face up to the lathe. On another note, one thing that gets immediate reaction in an emergency room is "peanut allergy" and "satay" in the same sentence DAMHIKT :whistling2:.

powderpost
9th January 2010, 11:25 PM
Bad news alright. Can feel your pain. I severed the tendon on a finger, the sentence was 12 weeks, no driving, no shed and lots of rehab. Don't rush back.
Jim

Ozkaban
10th January 2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks GJ and Jim.

12 weeks sentence? 5 stitches and a 4 week self-imposed sentence sounds like I got off easy!

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
10th January 2010, 09:22 AM
Dave
Tell ya what
I'll come on up and fire up your lathe and send some curlies everywhere, generally make a mess, make all the chisels blunt, etc so at least the shed looks like it's been used :D

hughie
10th January 2010, 10:39 AM
I'll come on up and fire up your lathe and send some curlies everywhere, generally make a mess, make all the chisels blunt, etc so at least the shed looks like it's been used :D

There you go Dave, see how we all pull together when somebody has met with a misfortune. Ya just gotta put your pride aside and take up this very generous offer.:U

colhu
10th January 2010, 12:18 PM
Hi Dave

sorry to hear you've knocked yourself around - glad it wasn't worse.

all from just one moment of reduced attention on the whirling wood - it is so easy to do!

may you be back at it soon, albeit more experienced.

cheers, Colin

Ozkaban
10th January 2010, 12:29 PM
Dave
Tell ya what

Sounds like a deal :2tsup:

(you'd have to sharpen the chisels first though if you want to make 'em blunt :cool:

Ozkaban
10th January 2010, 12:33 PM
Hi Dave

sorry to hear you've knocked yourself around - glad it wasn't worse.

all from just one moment of reduced attention on the whirling wood - it is so easy to do!

may you be back at it soon, albeit more experienced.

cheers, Colin

Thanks Colin. I reckon watching a demo or two might be the way to go. Feb 13 sounds good too :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
11th January 2010, 09:02 PM
Sounds like a deal :2tsup:

(you'd have to sharpen the chisels first though if you want to make 'em blunt :cool:

touche'

rsser
14th January 2010, 02:35 PM
... PS: I sometimes cheat and use my title. Staff then assume I'm a medico rather than a useless PhD.

Just want to clarify this, and apologies for the diversion Dave.

When asked for it I give my title.

More often than not I'm then asked ' a doctor of what?' and I explain.

Usually I'm not asked for my title and go thru the system as Mr and I'm fine with that.

But if some prat tries to get paternalistic with me and uses Mr then I might correct him/her to reframe the conversation.

I have a lot of sympathy for health care practitioners. I teach sociology to 1st year med students and they're bright kids with big hearts facing a v challenging future.

Ozkaban
14th January 2010, 02:47 PM
I have a lot of sympathy for health care practitioners. I teach sociology to 1st year med students and they're bright kids with big hearts facing a v challenging future.

That's true...:2tsup:

But if some prat tries to get paternalistic with me and uses Mr then I might correct him/her to reframe the conversation.

... and so's that :D

wheelinround
14th January 2010, 02:49 PM

Usually I'm not asked for my title and go thru the system as Mr and I'm fine with that.

Thanks Ern for the explanation.

No different to any youngster starting into a new life

NeilS
14th January 2010, 03:00 PM

My brother was a Dr, before he became a Mr. That was before he became a Prof. A bit of riddle, but not unusual...:D

ozmandus
14th January 2010, 03:07 PM
Hey Dave,
Sorry about the knuckle buster.. knock on green wood, I've only been knocked on the knuckle a couple of times, no cuts yet.... Texian said hoped you didn't bleed on the bowl, but I say if you don't put a little blood into your work, how can you know it's yours.... take care, slow down, keep your eyes on the spinning wood, your fingers on the right side of the rest... heal well and soon.

rsser
14th January 2010, 03:24 PM
the mysteries of medical hierarchies ;-}

In my academic career I was Mr first, then Dr., Assoc. Prof., Professorial Fellow, then Dr. again (consulting phase), and now Ern with my students (part time teaching phase; but the Asian students feel more comfy with Dr Ern :wink: )

Old farmer
14th January 2010, 03:52 PM
You've packed a great deal into 57 years, Ern, congratulations. We are fortunate to have you here.

My Dad was an Ern.

rsser
14th January 2010, 03:56 PM
Was he an Ernest John?

lotta those around

PS, if you were tongue in cheek Old Farmer let me tell you about my real career ;-}

PPS Def of a PhD: someone who knows more and more about less and less til s/he knows everything about nothing :D

Old farmer
14th January 2010, 05:04 PM
No, Ernest Thomas, a big man, great shot, great with horses. My hero.