PDA

View Full Version : rare timber

wado777
8th January 2010, 02:41 PM
Hi folks, I do a bit of woodwork for my family from time to time. This site is so useful. Never posted till now, I normally use the search button, save asking so many silly questions. Heres my first one....................
i am looking at moving to the south west in the next year of so and want to know if anyone has thoughts on growing there own timber. I am a green thumb what would be a really good choice of timber to plant that
A) is hard to find in the shops
B) is good to work with and sort after for furniture
C) worth more than the run of the mill stuff out there at the moment. could be a cash crop in a few years or so.
Time isn't a factor as i am only 30. My woodwork projects take me a year as a rule of thumb so I am thinking this may be a way to look forward to the future.
Any ideas???

Wado

charlsie
9th January 2010, 11:01 AM
blackwood would be my first pick or possibly sydney bluegum both relatively quick growing spiecies but you'll still have to plant a few to recover enough by the time you retire

TTIT
9th January 2010, 10:26 PM
Stay in Broome and grow some tropical species - more options, faster growing and nicer timber to work with :2tsup: (as he ducks for cover from the Mexican onslaught :; )

wado777
10th January 2010, 10:05 AM
yeah, african mahogany grows really quickly up here, as does most everything.
the heat, monsoonal rains, humidtity etc... ideal conditions for some varieties.
It is gunna be hard if we do make the move, thats why I am thinking ahead.
gotta have a hobby to fill the time in, i wont be able to go mud crabbing, barra or sail fishing, OOHHH the injustice of it all.

GraemeCook
10th January 2010, 10:31 AM
i am looking at moving to the south west in the next year of so and want to know if anyone has thoughts on growing there own timber. I am a green thumb what would be a really good choice of timber to plant ....
Any ideas???

Wado

Hi Wado

You also need species that will grow in your soil and climate/water resources, etc.

Suggest that you talk to the WA Forests Department. They have a phenomenal
amount of information on this topic.

Cheers

Graeme

BobL
10th January 2010, 10:57 AM
Stay in Broome and grow some tropical species - more options, faster growing and nicer timber to work with :2tsup: (as he ducks for cover from the Mexican onslaught :; )

That's a lot smarter than it sounds. The south west of WA forests are probably doomed to extinction because of climate change. Pity because there is some very nice trees down there.