PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection/ Basement Shop

fcapaldi
27th August 2004, 03:25 AM
I have a 15' x 15' room in the basement which contains a water heater and boiler. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on using this room as a small woodshop? I'd like to setup the table saw/belt sander/drill press/router there for use in the winter, which means I'd like to keep the windows and doors closed if possible. Would a dust collection system and air filtration device be enough to handle the dust (and prevent problems with the boiler)? If so what would you recommend? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Dan
27th August 2004, 09:23 PM
Sorry mate, Australian houses don't have basements (not that I've seen anyway), so answers to your question might be a bit scarce.

ozwinner
27th August 2004, 09:31 PM
Hi, and welcome

I cant see any problem, as long as you use the correct dust collecter system at the source of the dust.
If you collect most of the dust at the source, I dont see the need for an air filtration device , but it may be wise to wear a dust mask from time to time, all depends on what task you are doing.

Al :)

Different
27th August 2004, 10:30 PM
Welcome "fcapaldi"

As "ozwinner" said we in Australia have a very different climate to you guys in the north and dont have cellars.
I would seriously consider buying a good sized Bandsaw and not a Tablesaw as they produce huge amounts of dust in comparison.

One of your countrymen "James Krenov" shows pics of a basement workshop in some of his earlier books and he uses a bandsaw almost all the time.
I know there are things a bandsaw cannot do like a tablesaw but there are always 2 ways to skin a cat or in you case a Racoon/squirill/skunk!
In either good dust extraction is a must and if the building allows I would put the dust extractor outside to cut down noise, dust and save floor space.

Ross
Different By Design
www.differentbydesign.com.au (http://www.differentbydesign.com.au)