PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Heavy Metal Music Thread

jackprw1
8th January 2010, 09:56 PM
Definitely give it a listen, there is no standout here like Holy Wars or Tornado of Souls but it's a very solid album start to finish, and Chris Broderick brings some great lead playing to the table.

Very few people use the term heavy metal to refer to those old bands anymore though anyhow, the term applies to the throwback bands these days but also to the genre as a whole. It's definitely interesting how the genre become much more extreme and much more expansive, with the rise of thrash and the first roots of death and black metal in the 80s, the explosion of melodeath in the 90s, the rise of all the hardcore influenced bands and the explosion of progressive and avante garde stuff in the 00s.

Harry72
9th January 2010, 07:34 AM
Give what a listen?

1by4by9
7th February 2010, 04:00 AM
He might be talking about Megadeth. (I googled "Chris Broderick") I have heard only their album Rust In Peace and it was okay.

I'm more into Iron Maiden and Judas Priest (of the heavy metal genre). Especially I love Iron Maiden's long epic songs like Alexander the Great, Paschendale, Rime of The Ancient Mariner and so on.

Horsecroft88
12th February 2010, 01:34 PM
The only real heavy metal bands that I remember and actually enjoyed included the obvious ie, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Slade etc. :D Everything since the 80s and especially in the last 10 years including thrash, death metal etc are IMO complete rubbish and should infact be referred to as Vomit Rock !!!! Arrrggghhhhh - yuck !!! :((

Foo
14th February 2010, 09:13 AM
Led Zepplins Physical Graffiti and Zepplin 4 are my two favorite albums from them.Stairway To Heaven is my all time number 1 song by anyone.:2tsup: Used to have a few Slade albums on tape, but they no longer work:~. Aaaaaah Deep Purple, Smoke On The Water, one of the best classics.:D Don't forget AC/DC and a little bit Black Sabbath!
Gary

robbo266317
14th February 2010, 09:51 AM
:whs:

I also like Metalica's "Black" album.

Harry72
14th February 2010, 02:41 PM
I wouldnt call Zep heavy metal!

Farm boy
14th February 2010, 06:51 PM
my workmate introduced me to ramstein (german band) i cant understand a word but they have a great beat

1by4by9
14th February 2010, 07:41 PM
This is rather epic song:
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

I don't personally listen to Sabaton much but as a WWII geek I get some entertainment from the song. I think most of their songs follow the same epic themes and events.

Ah, found another one:
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Horsecroft88
15th February 2010, 09:21 AM
Led Zepplins Physical Graffiti and Zepplin 4 are my two favorite albums from them.Stairway To Heaven is my all time number 1 song by anyone.:2tsup: Used to have a few Slade albums on tape, but they no longer work:~. Aaaaaah Deep Purple, Smoke On The Water, one of the best classics.:D Don't forget AC/DC and a little bit Black Sabbath!
Gary

Ah thanks for the memory and prompts, I forgot to mention Deep Purple Smoke on the Water. What a top album. Still have my copy of this plus my Led Zep albums. Slade I too only had on tape and ditto re not working any more. And you are of course right re ACDC. They still are huge overseas, much more than in OZ. Was never a huge Black Sabbath fan but I know what you mean.

Horsecroft88
15th February 2010, 09:26 AM
I wouldnt call Zep heavy metal!

Well as someone who grew up in the 70s and thereafter, they most certainly were, and not that is no just in my opinion (Journals such as NME etc referred to them as such). Led Zep are generally considered by the music industry as on of the the original Heavy Metal Bands. Check out some of their early albums. (i.e vol 1-4).

Foo
12th March 2010, 09:58 AM
This is rather epic song:
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCCoKCEmKj8)

I don't personally listen to Sabaton much but as a WWII geek I get some entertainment from the song. I think most of their songs follow the same epic themes and events.

Ah, found another one:
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrJAwCBbnuc)

Just had a listen to these two! Rather interesting sound, and you can understand the words, so you now what they are talking about.:2tsup: Trying to work out who they sound like?:no: