PDA

View Full Version : Chuck insert stuck

turnerted
9th January 2010, 04:32 PM
G'day
I am trying to remove the insert from my VM 120 chuck as I need to fit a LH insert so's I can turn outboard .
I have loosened the grub screw and tried clamping a piece of hardwood across the jaws then held the wood in my bench vice . I then used a length of pipe to get more leverage on the little tommy bar supplied but only succeeded in bending the tommy bar .
Any suggestions?
It's about a year since I had it off last .
Ted

woodwork wally
9th January 2010, 04:48 PM
Try a couple of taps with hammer on the insert toward the chuck then fit insert in a metal vice and put your Tbar thu the jaws put pressure on and another light tap on Tbar. when you get it out a light smear of copper antisieze grease :2tsup: when installing If this doesn't work you will have to resourt to chuck in vice and a large socket and heavy Tbar and mabe even some warming good luck and cheers www

Sawdust Maker
9th January 2010, 07:07 PM
I've never had a problem with
1 lock spindle
2 piece of hardwood (say 1/2" by 3" by 12" long) clamped across the jaws
3 tap or whack on hardwood
4 bingo.

If this doesn't make sense I can take a piccy - a wip if you like

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2010, 07:16 PM
You'll need to crack the thread, which means it needs a sharp rap with a hammer.

So put the insert in the vice, then a bit of hardwood/steel between the jaws and then give it a good solid whack with a hammer

Frank&Earnest
9th January 2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I have done it this way too, SM and DJ, but it is not healthy for the jaws, you know? :-

At least seep some penetrating oil in the thread first and leave it a bit to spread.

Allen Neighbors
10th January 2010, 02:38 AM
I agree with F&E... it worked for me.

Timbre Surfer
10th January 2010, 06:18 AM
maybe a little bit of heat to assist might be in order.

hughie
10th January 2010, 10:56 AM
Hmm, how tight did you make the insert? If very tight then it becomes a serious exercise to loosen with out doing any damage.

You may have to lock a piece of square hard wood in the jaws (as if your going to turn it) Mount the hard wood in the vice and apply a big shifter etc to the insert.....gently:U

If you have to use heat as a last resort after all else has failed. Just use it in one localized spot as this will give all the expansion you need. If you heat all around the transference of heat will going against you and I suspect that the problem is that you have bottom it out on the shoulder rather that over tightened it on the thread. So heat wont be of much use to you here.:no:

Finally if it wont budge with out damaging the jaws etc. Then you must hold it by the body as this is actually the safest way to do it.As the insert is screwed into the body and its highly unlikely you will distort the body. :o :U

turnerted
10th January 2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions .
A wack with a hammer was going to be my next try . I've had it soaking with WD40 on the thread since yesterday and will attack it tomorrow . I'll let you know the result .
Sawdust Wally your suggestion works fine for a chuck stuck on the spindle but won't remove an insert .
Ted

Sawdust Maker
10th January 2010, 09:38 PM
Sorry left out the vital bit
spanner on the insert and other end resting on the lathe bed - so there's no give
you're right - don't need to lock spindle in this situation :doh:

but I agree could just as easily have the insert gripped in a vice

good luck

turnerted
11th January 2010, 05:01 PM
Success
I clamped a bit of timber in the vice then put the chuck on top of it, griping the timber between the jaws . The face of the jaws was just clear of the surface of the vice as I didn't want to damage them . I then sat a piece of hardwood on top of the thread insert and gave it a solid thump with a 21/2 lb lump hammer .I then inverted the chuck and gripped the insert in the vice then clamped a bit of wood about 400mm long across the jaws and leant on it and off it came . I was a bit concerned that the vice might chew the sides of the insert but there looks to be minimal damage . It is a pity this insert does not have flats on it like the insert on my smaller chuck .
I have now cleaned the threads up and smeared on some antisiezing compound . Hopefully it will come off easier next time .
Ted

rsser
11th January 2010, 05:11 PM
Good result Ted.

Sawdust Maker
11th January 2010, 08:56 PM
I'm pleased it came free :2tsup:

Sturdee
11th January 2010, 08:59 PM
It is a pity this insert does not have flats on it like the insert on my smaller chuck .

Now that you've got it of I suggest that you grind some flats on it so that next time you can use a shifter.

Peter.