PDA

View Full Version : $70 Cyclone

Different
27th August 2004, 10:52 PM
I just built a Cyclone/Drop Bin for $70 out of a resealable food grade 205lt drum and some PVC fittings.Pic attached. Will post some of the guts in a day or two.
I had hoped it would save me the trouble of removing and refitting bloody dust bags so often. It has done that and more. Nothing seems to leave the cyclone but air no bits no dust Works like a charm.

Ross

jow104
27th August 2004, 11:10 PM
Hi D

How are you going to empty the dum, fill bxz09y plastic bags?

glenn k
27th August 2004, 11:27 PM
Very interested to see guts, been thinking of doing the same.

forge
28th August 2004, 08:02 PM
woody uk-on the picture it seems the drum has a clip on lid.
Regards ,Bela.

Different
29th August 2004, 12:08 AM
Indeed I t has a removable lid.
See attached Pics for inside view.
Note the Intake is on the right a directs the incomming flow towards the outside of the drum forming a cyclone type airflow and the outlet picks up from an airflow eddy just behint the intake pipe.

forge
29th August 2004, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the visual explanation Ross.
Regards ,Bela

silkwood
9th September 2004, 09:02 PM
Ross did you have to play around to get the positioning of the "eddy" correct or did you get it right first time by chance?

If you are getting little or no dust this seems a very easy and effective alternative to a cyclone system, at least an interim option. Are you continuing to find the same results?

Cheers,

ernknot
9th September 2004, 09:19 PM
Ross,
Good job. What horsepower is your dusty? The effectiveness you get, is that from hoking up to just 1 machine or more?
ernknot

John Saxton
9th September 2004, 09:41 PM
Ross, Thankyou for ideas that is a cheaper implementation than some of the other options.

A greeny for you.

Cheers :)

Different
10th September 2004, 12:18 AM
Ross did you have to play around to get the positioning of the "eddy" correct or did you get it right first time by chance?

If you are getting little or no dust this seems a very easy and effective alternative to a cyclone system, at least an interim option. Are you continuing to find the same results?

Cheers,
Truth is I had the Idea and thinking about it decided the deadest air should be close to the back of the inlet 90 degree bend ans so positioned the outlet accordingly so you could say I guessed it but I would rather take credit for a "Educated" guess! I dont know how much dust I am getting for 2 reasons firstly I haent had need to empty the extractor and I have dressed out about 10 drums full of dust from the cyclone.
Secondly if you let it fill up to far it just sucks it directly to the extractor bag.

Different
10th September 2004, 12:26 AM
Ross,
Good job. What horsepower is your dusty? The effectiveness you get, is that from hoking up to just 1 machine or more?
ernknot
Extractor is 2hp and I do admit that the cyclone has reduced its "Suck" quite a bit but the added ease of dust disposal is a small price to pay.
It does only work efectivly on one machine at a time .

Greg_stewy
10th September 2004, 09:25 AM
Hi Different,

I noticed your triton there to the side, what have you done to the top?? Does it provide less friction???

Greg.

barnsey
10th September 2004, 10:50 AM
As a matter of interest there's an article in this Month's (October) :confused: issue of AWW - pg 64. Think I'll give it a go. Next door neighbour might not like it but the feelings mutual - I don't like him either and always wants to borrow tools :mad:

Jamie