PDA

View Full Version : Pen Boxes

smidsy
27th August 2004, 11:06 PM
Hei Guys,
Has anyone here made their own pen boxes?
They are only $6 each but I need 5 of the suckers so I'm thinking that it wouldn't be that hard to knock em out with the router.
Thoughts/comments?
Cheers
Paul

q9
28th August 2004, 02:57 AM
The boughts one's I've seen are pretty non-descript. You can sometimes get some nice scrap wood from a joinery that would do nicely.

Now you have me thinking. I have some NGR bits that I can't think of anything else to do with...

Sounds like a reasonable idea to me, except I'd be inclined to make (or at least route parts for) about 10 of them. Saves setting up the machine etc.

smidsy
28th August 2004, 03:39 AM
Yeah, if I was going to do it I would route the bits for about ten boxes to save having to rejig the router every time.
The other trick would be to buy the hinges in packs of ten and save a few dollars there.
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
28th August 2004, 01:26 PM
Yeah, or buy an Incra jig and make your own hinges. You'll have to make a lot to cover the cost of the jig, but it is an incredible piece of equipment.

For the cheapskates in the family, buy the vevet sleeves at 35 c each or the plastic cases at less than a dollar.

Have a good weekend
:)

Alastair
30th August 2004, 12:31 PM
I've done this on a case by case (pun) basis, where I have been making a special presentation case as a special gift, but it is a lot more hassle than it is worth, unless you are going to charge an arm and leg for them, or else set up to mass produce.

Alastair