PDA

View Full Version : STUBAI HSS- Kugelschneider/Ballcutter

NeilS
12th January 2010, 05:52 PM
Have any forumites used the STUBAI HSS- Kugelschneider/Ballcutter (http://www.thewoodworks.com.au/site/datasheets/Ball%20Cutter%20.html). If so, what is your opinion?

rsser
12th January 2010, 06:21 PM
Was close to buying S. bench chisels at one stage Neil; they looked the goods. So they know how to do steel.

hughie
12th January 2010, 10:08 PM
Pricey, or the middleman is gonna do well.

TTIT
13th January 2010, 12:06 AM
Looks much like what Hughie was playing with and would most likely suffer the same problems - don't think I'll worry about one :no:

NeilS
13th January 2010, 09:33 AM
Looks much like what Hughie was playing with and would most likely suffer the same problems - don't think I'll worry about one :no:

I presume you were not thinking of Hughie's Ripsnorter there, Vern?

Hughie, do you have another tool in development?

TTIT
13th January 2010, 11:07 AM
I presume you were not thinking of Hughie's Ripsnorter there, Vern?

Hughie, do you have another tool in development?

.....Nah! not the RipSnorter - he's been playing mad scientists again :o:;

NeilS
13th January 2010, 03:37 PM
Nah! not the RipSnorter - he's been playing mad scientists again :o:;

Thanks, Vern.

OK, Hughie, fess up!

hughie
13th January 2010, 04:56 PM
OK, Hughie, fess up!
:U Well it does look like they have stolen my thunder. :C And so its not likely a patent of any sort would be granted for the design I sent to Vern. Its similar but different too Stubai.Basically its a 20mm dia ball with a 8mm slot milled in it. Cant find any pics at the moment Maybe Wheelin has a pic as he has a sample as well.

The design has progressed several generations to where it is today. But with out a shed I don't get much R&D time for evaluation and modification. Plus a blown capacitor on the only lathe I have up and running ain't helping either :C :~ .

I also had this basic design at Erns Turnathon ( Melbourne ) a few months back

rsser
14th January 2010, 08:27 AM
Yep.

And at 's someone had a cup cutter on a shaft. You can get the cutters from McJing IIRC. It did a clean cut but was slow.

Take a look at the mini-Munro as well Neil if you haven't already; similar principle of a cap gauge over the cutting edge. Or the Martel hook tool (but no cap gauge).

NeilS
14th January 2010, 10:38 AM
:U Well it does look like they have stolen my thunder. :C And so its not likely a patent of any sort would be granted for the design I sent to Vern. Its similar but different too Stubai.Basically its a 20mm dia ball with a 8mm slot milled in it. Cant find any pics at the moment Maybe Wheelin has a pic as he has a sample as well.

The design has progressed several generations to where it is today. But with out a shed I don't get much R&D time for evaluation and modification. Plus a blown capacitor on the only lathe I have up and running ain't helping either :C :~ .

Thank you for the heads up on your new tool, Hughie. Sorry to hear that Stubai has stolen a march on you. Should you get back into operation I will be interested to give yours a test run.

Take a look at the mini-Munro as well Neil if you haven't already; similar principle of a cap gauge over the cutting edge. Or the Martel hook tool (but no cap gauge).

Thanks, Ern. I have an early Woodcut (but never got to love it), also make my own hook tools like the Martel hook, but haven't yet managed to give the Munros a spin. Jim had one for test use at Horsham, but I was concentrating on my dodgy spindle work technique so didn't get to give it a test run.

The Munros look to be the most developed of the 'cutting' hollowers so must get around to trying them out.

Anyone have a Munro Hollower that they didn't get to love?....:U

rsser
14th January 2010, 10:54 AM
You're welcome to test drive my Munro mini if you wish Neil. It's a nifty tool. Also the Munro maxi but it's not the latest version which is less fussy about hitting the sweet spot.

NeilS
14th January 2010, 12:01 PM
You're welcome to test drive my Munro mini if you wish Neil. It's a nifty tool. Also the Munro maxi but it's not the latest version which is less fussy about hitting the sweet spot.

Thanks for that kind offer, Ern. I'll keep it in mind for when our paths next cross near a lathe.

hughie
14th January 2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks for that kind offer, Ern. I'll keep it in mind for when our paths next cross near a lathe.

Neil,

The Munro cutters work fine. I spent some time playing around with the cup with various angles shafts etc.
In the end sent a version of it off to Al in Texas and I gather he has given it a pretty thorough work out.

NeilS
14th January 2010, 05:34 PM
I spent some time playing around with the cup with various angles shafts etc.
In the end sent a version of it off to Al in Texas and I gather he has given it a pretty thorough work out.

I guess you do not want your Beat testers to comment too much in case you yet decide to patent your design and go into production?

hughie
14th January 2010, 06:44 PM
I guess you do not want your Beat testers to comment too much in case you yet decide to patent your design and go into production?

Nah in this case it was a Munro knock off. But certainly non disclosure docs are very handy

Tim the Timber Turner
14th January 2010, 07:08 PM

Patents are ok, you just need to make sure you have plenty of money available if you need to defend one.

I know of one instant of a small Australian company who held a patent. There was a clear breach of their patent and they decided to defend it. After paying a patent attorney $10,000 in fees over many months, they didn't even have a date when they would go to court. They then gave it away.

The moral of all this is to make sure you have more resources available than the company who breaches your patent.

Cheers

Tim:)

hughie
14th January 2010, 07:42 PM
The moral of all this is to make sure you have more resources available than the company who breaches your patent.

Actually the best defense is a very good marketing and distribution plan that works.