PDA

View Full Version : How making these models got me seriously interested in Woodworking

bryon
12th January 2010, 09:23 PM
About 2 and half years ago I got hold of a book of Heirloom Toys which had plans in it for some great looking replica cars and trucks. They looked way beyond my capabilty and I didnt have a lathe or a band saw or a bench sander etc etc etc. I did have a 20 year old triton Mk3 workcentre (which is still my only table saw) and a Triton router and router table. I had never turned anything in my life before but I figured I might have a go a making the wheels because that seemed like a fun challenge and so stuck my electric drill in a drill clamp, made myself a tool rest and using some crappy old carving chisels I had aquired years before and never used, plus one or two carpenter's chisels, set out to make 5 identical wheels:o After understanding that slow and steady is the way to go and thats there's such a thing as a "Grab" when turning, I finally achieved my goal. Then I just started making one bit at a time - concentrating on each component one by one - rather than the completed project, which can be a bit overwhelming. And so after about a month or two of weekends - voila! - I had made a Ford Model A Pickup which looked remarkably like the picture in the book!! Below are some pictures:-

scotty60
12th January 2010, 09:53 PM
Firstly welcome aboard Byron, you done a great job for the limited amount of tools you had to build it. As you say use your brain and a bit of thought its amasing what you can acheive.Fantastic:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

AUSSIE
12th January 2010, 10:02 PM
Great job there.It does look very much like the one in the book.I have the book also.
Your story is much like mine except I never had a triton .I bought an $80 cheapo.
Keep them coming:2tsup:

dallasmmartin
13th January 2010, 12:15 AM
Hello Bryon, I would say you did well. I didn't have many tools when I started either. As my projects got more complicated so did my collection of tools. Dallas

bryon
14th January 2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys - well you know what they say - necessity is the mother of invention - and if that invention is in the hardware store I usually find it necessary to get it. (Financial Directors approval first of course)

artme
25th January 2010, 12:29 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Phil Hansen
25th January 2010, 01:32 AM
That is a remarkable piece of work. Well done.
Phil

Hobo
25th January 2010, 05:03 AM
Very nice job. One thing always seems to lead to another. I hope you get the tools and machines you want. By the looks of your work you don't need them. Very, very nice.:2tsup: