PDA

View Full Version : Glueing Melamine

Rebus
29th January 2003, 10:25 PM
Greetings,

I have been asked to build some speaker boxes by a friend. The boxes are "folded horns" which have a quite complex internal structure.

Being an audiophile he is very particular about the construction and materials and specifically wants them to be made with smooth (velvet) melamine covered particle board.

My concern is that there are a number of joins which would be between the bare particle board on an edge and the melamine covered face. What glue is suitable for this task ? Can I use regular PVA or yellow glue or do I need something more exotic ?

I know that the melamine is glued to the chipboard, but I can also see that in that case there is not the problem of adhering to the smooth external side of the melamine.

Thanks for any responses.

soundman
29th January 2003, 10:41 PM
Just my thing!!
I know the type of device you are building & i would sugest yo don't try to glue the chipboard to the melamine.
In a speaker box it is important not to underestimate the forces & vibration in the situation.

how to do it.
It is prefered and makes construction easier if rebated construction is used.

the path of the labarinth in trenched a few mm into the sides of the box and the panels slot into it. giving a wood to wood joint.
I would strongly recomend screwing and gluing all joints.

As a speaker builder I would not recomend the use of melamine coated chipboard as a construction material.

A shiny surface on the inside of any speaker box is not advantageous.
If the audiophile thinks having a shiny surface on the inside of the labarinth is helpfull he dosn't understand the principles involved.

as far a a laminate finish on the outside better to laminate afterward with this type of design to cover the screw holes.

the rebates will jig the structure during assembly.

Be sure to dry assemble before glue up.

This is typical method for building most transmission line, horn loaded or "W" bin designs.

cheers.

ps
I have seen many speaker boxes knocked up by kitchen woodwork types & seen several blown apart.

Make good airtight joins.

[This message has been edited by soundman (edited 29 January 2003).]