PDA

View Full Version : Professionally Built TS21 Hull & Deck Pros and Cons

HappyPappy
14th January 2010, 07:46 PM
Hi all,

Can I ask for some advice please.

Circumstances have suddenly changed for me and I am now contemplating getting a Hartley TS 21 hull and deck professionally built. Basic timber plywood centreboard trailer sailer designed for home builder.

This is about the tenth time plans to build it myself have not worked out at the 11th hour. I won't elaborate but its unbelievably frustrating.

There's not much of a chance of coming across a nice retired master ship wright just waiting for a nice little boat building job to come his way, so thoughts are now with the possibility of a proper professional build.

I know the economics are all wrong and its an old design, but we have our hearts set on the Hartley. I plan to do the remainder fit out myself in a VERY tight carport. I don't have a shed or garage otherwise it would be built by now!!

Just wondering if I can ask what people's thoughts are on this? Am I likely to get a high quality job from a professional boat builder or would they be tempted to cut corners in this day and age and on top of that charge a fortune?

Thank you for any thoughts.

hereselmo1
14th January 2010, 09:33 PM
As someone who is going through the process of (very slowly) building a TS16 I would say wait an ddo it yourself. The satisfaction is immense and if you really want it to happen you will find a way.

P.s. does it have to be a 21 or would you consider doing an 18 or a 16 yourself?

b.o.a.t.
14th January 2010, 10:01 PM
You are likely to do better by working with a pro builder from scratch.
As you will be advertising their business for a long time, it is in their interest
to see the finished product to a high standard. After all, it is the finish &
fit-out that everyone sees, not the joinery under the paint.

Look at being labour for a local builder, & it might work out a similar cost to
completion as if you took home a bare hull. MIK would be in a better place
than I to advise you on this as the Ducks have been doing these sorts of things
for a couple of decades.

All the best with it!
cheers
AJ

Daddles
15th January 2010, 07:51 AM
Ring BoatCraft Pacific and ask for some idea of the cost - that might cure you straight off :doh:

Seriously, give them a ring. There are probably other places too.

For a 'non-professional' build, you'd be surprised how many options are out there, the trick is finding them (and they finding you). I don't remember his username (Onthebeachalone maybe) and don't have the time to go looking right now, but there's a bloke who regularly posts items from a group of Qld boat builders. Have a dig around the forum and you should find him. Drop him a PM.

Getting it built for you is a good idea if you can afford it - plans get all mushy if you to try to sail them instead of building the boat.

Richard