PDA

View Full Version : Been Playing with the new toy . . . :~

Pat
16th January 2010, 09:33 PM
I've been getting use to the new toy, so some pics for Ray :q

Shavings on the ways, Shavings on the floor, The set up, A little Silky Oak platter (250mm) and finally my cobbled together holder. My Cole Jaws only open to 240mm :~

What I'll probably do is laminate more Crapiarta to get a 450 to 500mm wheel, a spare faceplate and make some stronger retainers. I know the retainers should be at 120° to each other to minimise the chance of the platter falling out, but I got away with it this time:;

I found that the tip from about marking the center of both sides of the blank made centering the platter very easy, with using the tailstock to locate and lock the platter nearly dead center. It's not the only thing that I have been playing with, but someone forgets to take pics:doh:

RETIRED
16th January 2010, 09:36 PM
What!! You mean someone listens?:-:B

wheelinround
16th January 2010, 10:18 PM
Yeh right bet you brought that back from Kiewa and turned it :q shavings left from club boys :U

Very nice Pat so the big yellow bird does fly. :2tsup::2tsup: For that a nice bit of Bottle brush awaits I just got to get it for you.

I_wanna_Shed
16th January 2010, 10:22 PM
Lookin great Pat! I've got a Woodfast 180L, a smaller Woodfast which I got second hand and I can't fault it. Your big daddy must be great (just a pity they are no longer made in Oz). Big new shed, big new lathe..... Pat's living the dream!

And that's a top tip from too! I'm guessing nothing has been lost in Chinese whispers so I will use that 'double centering' trick as well :)

Nathan.

Sawdust Maker
16th January 2010, 10:28 PM
lucky you having some time in the shed
And is impressed you remembered something he said and actually did it
it's about time you made yourself a longworth chuck!

tea lady
16th January 2010, 11:14 PM
:oo: Call that a mess? :rolleyes::D Looks good.

Ed Reiss
16th January 2010, 11:59 PM
:2tsup: so now the new shed is partially christened ...not fully until a blank goes flying off at mach speed and leaves dents in the roof, walls and floor :roll::D:D:D

Pat
17th January 2010, 06:18 AM
:2tsup: so now the new shed is partially christened ...not fully until a blank goes flying off at mach speed and leaves dents in the roof, walls and floor :roll::D:D:D

Well not a blank, but an almost finished piece that decided that the cole jaws were not tight enough:doh:

powderpost
17th January 2010, 12:28 PM
Looking really good Pat. I have an identical lathe but the Australian version. Some tips for you to consider.

1. Instead of gluing up a pine disc, turn a 200mm disc of pine with a recess to exactly fit your face plate. Screw in the face plate. Rechuck the piece and true up the face. Glue and screw a 19mm disc of ply and cut three (or six) radial slots 6mm wide from the pine disc to within 12mm of the edge, to accommodate tank bolts. Fix the holders with the tank bolts.
Use the spindle lock system and mark two lines across the ply at 90 degrees. Those marks will help centre the blank, provided you mark the diagonals on the blank first.

2 Build a Longworth chuck.

Jim

Ed Reiss
19th January 2010, 12:53 PM
Well not a blank, but an almost finished piece that decided that the cole jaws were not tight enough:doh:

well then, it's fully christened :2tsup:

munruben
19th January 2010, 02:28 PM
Well done, nothing like working with a new toy.:2tsup:

artme
20th January 2010, 08:37 AM
Ahhh! thew smell of shavings and a new toy!!!

Enjoy the new toy mate, as often as possible.