PDA

View Full Version : Needle cases.

tea lady
16th January 2010, 10:51 PM
I foolishly volunteered to turn some needle cases for the Knox Woodworkers' stall they are having at the Stringybark festival in February. So here are 3 of them. (Three more to go.) They will probably get more and more ridiculous. :cool: :DThese ones are in Silky Oak, Jarrah and Wenge. Finished in hard shellac. :cool:

Big Shed
16th January 2010, 10:56 PM
Nice work TL.

Maybe I'm missing something, these are for a "Stringybark" Festival and you have used Silky Oak, Jarrah and Wenge, I'm confused:rolleyes:

tea lady
16th January 2010, 11:02 PM
:D No Stringy Bark was harmed in the making of these needle cases.:p (Plus I haven't got any.:rolleyes: )

Ed Reiss
17th January 2010, 12:03 AM
Pretty nice TL :2tsup:

Texian
17th January 2010, 05:55 AM
Those are cool TL. Are the tops a snug fit, loose fit?

Allen Neighbors
17th January 2010, 06:08 AM
Nice job, TL. I've made a few of these for my wife and her quilting group. They're not easy!
Well done!! I like the different tops. :D

Ad de Crom
17th January 2010, 10:21 AM
Very nice TL.
If I show them to my ladies, think they push me to make some of these cute things.
BTW, not so easy to make them, but you did it very well :2tsup:
Ad

tea lady
17th January 2010, 10:43 AM
Those are cool TL. Are the tops a snug fit, loose fit?Snug. Although some are snugger than others.:rolleyes: I think they are supposed to stay on while swimming around in the bottom of hand bags.:doh:

RufflyRustic
17th January 2010, 10:50 AM
Lovely!! The more wierd the design, the more they will sell, I reckon :2tsup: I'd even buy one for myself for my leatherwork needles, they are that useful:)

cheers
Wendy

orraloon
17th January 2010, 11:03 AM
Nice job TL,
I guess thats another one to file away for turned presents. I would never have thought of needle cases.
Regards
John

dai sensei
17th January 2010, 11:47 AM
Great jon there TL :2tsup:

Ozkaban
17th January 2010, 01:47 PM
I foolishly volunteered to turn some needle cases for the Knox Woodworkers' stall they are having at the Stringybark festival in February. So here are 3 of them. (Three more to go.)
Nice work - very delicate!

They will probably get more and more ridiculous. :cool:

Does that mean we'll see one with 48 finials??? :o :; :D

Cheers,
Dave

Texian
17th January 2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks TL. Assume at that small (?) diameter the fit of the top would stay about the same despite changes of temperature and humidity. Would like to try just one but have no clue about the required I.D. and depth. Help please?

woodwork wally
17th January 2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks TL. Assume at that small (?) diameter the fit of the top would stay about the same despite changes of temperature and humidity. Would like to try just one but have no clue about the required I.D. and depth. Help please?
Hi A.-M. Lovely Job on all 3 and I second the above Quoted as would complement my pens as small income lines:U . Keep up your spoton turning:2tsup::2tsup: you put a lot of folks behind the 8 ball and I have watched your improvement over a couple of years INCREDIBLE:2tsup::D:2tsup: cheers ww.wally

Sawdust Maker
17th January 2010, 07:21 PM
Nice work, TL

tea lady
17th January 2010, 09:43 PM
Here are some links to different designs of Needle cases.

http://home.att.net/~rspragg/needlecase.html (http://home.att.net/%7Erspragg/needlecase.html)

Excerpt from Richard Rafan's Turned Boxes.
Turning boxes with Richard Raffan - Google Books (http://books.google.com/books?id=7NzfC5PIOFYC&pg=PA133&lpg=PA133&dq=needle+case+wood+turning&source=bl&ots=RbnuBsR62D&sig=x-ko25O4-goYLBm4_Z5WMDhzPNQ&hl=en&ei=WN9SS8v4B5WekQXQi4GmCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CCQQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=&f=false)

and there are kits too, but they don't look much fun.:rolleyes:
Needle Case Kit (http://www.thewoodsmith.com.au/thewoodsmith/projectncase.htm)

Here are some antique "treen" pieces. A couple of needle cases down the page. A snap at 299 pounds.:rolleyes:
Treen at The Best Things (http://www.thebestthings.com/antiques/treen.htm)

Someones blog.:cool: Actually looks quite interesting.:)
Gerd’s Shop Notes Blog Archive Needle Case (http://gerd.knops.org/shopnotes/?p=19)

There are plans on here listed under "travel mate" as it is a travel sewing lit. I think it actually has spools for thrread in it too.:cool:
FREE NOVA WOODTURNING PROJECTS (http://www.teknatool.com/projects/)

TTIT
17th January 2010, 11:51 PM
...........and there are kits too, but they don't look much fun.:rolleyes:
Needle Case Kit (http://www.thewoodsmith.com.au/thewoodsmith/projectncase.htm)
I just bought one of them from Carrolls to carry some toothpicks to work - it's going to seem so ho-hum now :C

Texian
18th January 2010, 04:47 AM
Thanks TL. Interesting stuff. I like the O-ring seal for the case top. Must google "pounce pot" now.

artme
18th January 2010, 04:53 AM
Nice stuphph TL!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Now I know what to turn for my MIL. She;s always needling me.:D:D

tea lady
18th January 2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks TL. Interesting stuff. I like the O-ring seal for the case top. Must google "pounce pot" now.Yeah! I was wondering what the hell they were. something about cuttle fish sander. Which doesn't make sense.:doh:

Sawdust Maker
18th January 2010, 04:18 PM
I just bought one of them from Carrolls to carry some toothpicks to work - it's going to seem so ho-hum now :C

Yeah I made one a little while ago - great now I've a tooth pick whenever I need one
I used a piece of mesquite burl NL88 sent me, not as fancy as TL's though
Gave my sister one for her birthday - she told mum it was to keep coke in :o

RETIRED
18th January 2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah I made one a little while ago - great now I've a tooth pick whenever I need one
I used a piece of mesquite burl NL88 sent me, not as fancy as TL's though
Gave my sister one for her birthday - she told mum it was to keep coke in :oYou wouldn't want to be thirsty. :whistling2:

tea lady
18th January 2010, 06:19 PM
You wouldn't want to be thirsty. :whistling2::doh::D

Sawdust Maker
18th January 2010, 09:08 PM
You wouldn't want to be thirsty. :whistling2:
:roflmao: :doh:

artme
19th January 2010, 04:26 AM
- she told mum it was to keep coke in :o

Maybe a different "Coke". :oo::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rum Pig
19th January 2010, 08:55 AM
Nice one T.L I have only ever made the kits but I might have a go at making one from scratch:2tsup:

tea lady
19th January 2010, 07:02 PM
I'm having trouble with the lids fitting. :C They were all OK when I finished them then half of them are now too loose. I think I might try the rubber ring thing. Off to the hardware on the way home from work tomorrow.:cool:

TTIT
19th January 2010, 10:45 PM
I'm having trouble with the lids fitting. :C They were all OK when I finished them then half of them are now too loose. I think I might try the rubber ring thing. Off to the hardware on the way home from work tomorrow.:cool:I don't know how old I'll be before the lesson really sinks in properly but at least with turned boxes I now leave the lid and box just oversize and let them sit for at least 2 weeks to settle down. If I have to take more than 4 or 5mm of timber off for any reason I'll let them settle again for a while. I reckon it's the only way to make sure the lids stay fitting the way you intended . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . until the wet season kicks in at least :C. . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . now if I could just muster the same patience for flat work . . . . . . . :~ $%&@$#@& Camphor &%@^$%# laurel buffet :~

tea lady
19th January 2010, 11:09 PM
:doh: And here I thought wood work had less waiting in it than pottery.:rolleyes:

Allen Neighbors
20th January 2010, 11:03 AM
Cheers, Tea Lady! Just run a ring of super glue around the male portion of the lid. Allow that to cure completely, then test the fit. If it's still a little loose run another ring of CA around it. I've done that to my toothpick holder that I carry. Works a treat. :D

Ozkaban
20th January 2010, 11:24 AM
Cheers, Tea Lady! Just run a ring of super glue around the male portion of the lid. Allow that to cure completely, then test the fit. If it's still a little loose run another ring of CA around it. I've done that to my toothpick holder that I carry. Works a treat. :D

Neat trick :2tsup: Filed away..

NeilS
20th January 2010, 03:26 PM
Had a similar problem with some thread pickers made at the local Men's Shed. If they are just a bit loose, try steaming them to expand the wood fibres, then oil them before they dry and shrink again. The steam will raise the fibres where it hits the wood so they will have to be lightly sanded in that area again before/during oiling. Getting a small enough jet of steam can be tricky. A small hole in the lid of the morning tea urn worked a treat. Jugs with whistles that don't turn themselves off are also useful... The 'O' ring solution will be quicker if you have enough meat left in the insert to turn a recess for that and can readily find the right sized 'O' ring......

rodent
21st January 2010, 11:54 PM
I'm having trouble with the lids fitting. :C They were all OK when I finished them then half of them are now too loose. I think I might try the rubber ring thing. Off to the hardware on the way home from work tomorrow.:cool:

Taper the insert at the top like a cone then if it gets loose you just twist it in a little further . Like a mini bottle stopper did one for skews mum ( she who has the band aids ) .:2tsup: