PDA

View Full Version : lineseed oil

Steffen595
17th January 2010, 09:14 AM
Hello,

I am just about to re paint my weatherboard. Am stripping all paint of to bare wood.

So now the question: my father swears by lineseed oil. I.e. put lineseed oil on first (either heated up or with some solvent). This will nourish the old wood before you put a new coating on. Otherwise it will suck the solvent from my new paint, it dries to quickly and becomes brittle faster. Is there something to it? Especially these bits where the (20+ layers of) old paint were cracked the wood is dried up and from my previous experience actually really sucks in lots of the oil, the other bits are like new.

Thanks,

Steffen

Travis Edwards
17th January 2010, 12:05 PM
Hello,

I am just about to re paint my weatherboard. Am stripping all paint of to bare wood.

So now the question: my father swears by lineseed oil. I.e. put lineseed oil on first (either heated up or with some solvent). This will nourish the old wood before you put a new coating on. Otherwise it will suck the solvent from my new paint, it dries to quickly and becomes brittle faster. Is there something to it? Especially these bits where the (20+ layers of) old paint were cracked the wood is dried up and from my previous experience actually really sucks in lots of the oil, the other bits are like new.

Thanks,

Steffen

It should work well, you would use turps to thin it. It would be rather expensive to do a whole house in it though, and you would have to use an oil based paint over top of it I would think. I find it works well to preserve exterior furniture timbers and other things like handles of tools. might be better off looking at what primers are available there are some good ones out there nowdays.

Steffen595
17th January 2010, 12:28 PM
hm, going to be waterbased, so you think that will cause trouble?

Would be just 1 coat, so 10L can go a long way, reg my fence painting experience

EQUINADE LINSEED OIL 1L bargain | Horsesuppliesdirect - Compare Prices & Save shopping in Australia (http://www.getprice.com.au/EQUINADE-LINSEED-OIL-1L-Gpnc_424--19483737.htm)

5L for $50.

4L paint $80

10L bucket paint $139 ;-)

Primer: maybe I use the Astec heat reflective paint system, has primer for wood. Or have to find trustworthy paint dealer, not just "don't worry"....

still undecided.

Big Shed
17th January 2010, 12:36 PM
If you are going to be using a waterbased system, I wouldn't be using straight linseed oil as a first coat.

Furthermore, the linseed oil you are linking to would be Raw Linseed Oil, you wouldn't want to use that under any paint system, solvent or water based.

Why not select your paint of choice and go with the manufacturers' recommended system for that paint. All reputable paint manufacturers employ paint chemists that spend a lot of time tailoring their paint systems for best results by carrying out extensive exposure testing etc.

When you consider the amount of time you will be investing in this job you wouldn't want to get it wrong and do it all over again within a short time:no:

Steffen595
17th January 2010, 12:55 PM
When you consider the amount of time you will be investing in this job you wouldn't want to get it wrong and do it all over again within a short time:no:

Thats why I better ask. Seems to work for my dad, but he did it with oil based paint ages ago. And no idea which linseed oil he used, another era, another country....

3rd day hot air gunning old paint down, more to come :roll:

Karl1
19th January 2010, 10:47 AM
Good Luck with the stripping - I removed all paint from the front of my house 3 years ago and it took months! Layers of paint dating back to about 1911. Awful job but once repainted it is fairly satisfying - I can actually see wood grain under the new paint now. I agree that you should consider following a proven system; I can't imagine how it would feel to see your bespoke efforts start to peel-off a short time after completion.

Steffen595
19th January 2010, 11:28 AM
the linseed oil is working for my dad though.

took you months? Suppose yes, if you have a fulltime job apart from that. Hope am finished end of this week with the hot air gun part. But then flap disk is coming in, then putty and what not. Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnn the paint, finally.

And in parallel gutting out the inside room by room....:cool:

Karl1
19th January 2010, 11:52 AM
Yes, I should actually and more acurately have said 'a month of Sundays'. Anyway, good luck with it and post a photo when finished.