PDA

View Full Version : Old durden pacemaker resto?

bricks
17th January 2010, 01:23 PM
Here's what I found on the weekend.
Got it for free from a friend, he just found out one of my hobbies was woodworking. He had it sitting in an old shed at his shack down on the south coast.
It was free,
I'd like to use it for small projects ect
the table height adjuster seems to be broken,
I don't have a manual for it,

Any hints on how to remove the table rust?
Is it possible to get this thing back to working condition?
Are there still blades/ belts etc for this machine? Where would I get them in adelaide?

Big Shed
17th January 2010, 01:29 PM
This would be a good place to start

Durden Woodworking Products (http://www.fwhercus.com.au/durden/index.htm)

bricks
17th January 2010, 02:10 PM
Cheers,

Fuzzie
17th January 2010, 02:37 PM
Hi Bricks,

I've just started a resto on an old HABCO jointer. My approach to removing surface rust is to use a 40mm wide paint stripping blade. I just wet the metal with wd40 or kero or something similar then scrape away at the rust. Removes any crud buildup as well as the rust. I then go over it with steel wool.

Check out my jointer thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f154/habco-6-jointer-111312/)for a pic of what my cleaned table looks like. It still looks sort of rusty but it is smooth to the touch.

sumu
18th January 2010, 12:26 AM
Hello,

Check out this electrolytic rust removal method (http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/QuickTricks/RustRemoval/rustremoval.html) for table saw top (right after those handplane treatment pics).

Before (electro)chemistry I would probably scrape some of the rust off with a razorblade.

Steel wool, kerosene and elbow grease have been quite good as well.

If there is parts you can't work with any of those, try out coarse pencil erasers. Those ones with some abrasives inside are pretty fast for the stains but easy on the surfaces below. There are also those rubber-binded abrasive sponges.

15% citric acid solution is efficient, too. Acids are just not my favourites.

Kippis,

Samu

orca
29th January 2010, 07:46 PM
hi brick, sorry i havnt responded sooner.Anyway,your machine is identical to mine.But,from what i caan see from your photos mine is missing a few bits.Firstly,the 2 cast plates on the left including whats below.I think it has something to do with the spindle moulder.Although i have a range of moulding blades and the assembly.The other item i have complete is the notorius thicknesser (frightened to use it).Also it came with the mortising attachment. So,it seems to me that i have an allmost complete combo machine.I guess you get that when you buy the bargain basket case.I am now looking for the missing bits and pieces.I believe we have the early models as the latter models were black in colour.If you know of someone with an early model manual i can buy,borrow,beg whatever it would be great.see ya .

issatree
29th January 2010, 08:28 PM
Hi Bricks,
We cleaned up a Bench Saw, in almost the same condition.
All we used was some 150 grit Sandpaper, wrapped around a bit of Wood.
Plenty of elbow grease.
It looks a million $ now. It really wasn't all that hard.
If you can find a couple of people to share in a tin of "Silbien Gliet", Silver Glide to us.
Jim Carroll has this Product.
$30 +or-, & will last you forever, as you only use very little on the surface, after it is all cleaned up of course. Your Timber will slide over that Bench so well, you will wonder why.
Don't leave any on the Bench, other wise it will come off on your Wood.
Regards,
issatree.

bricks
21st February 2010, 11:54 AM
hi brick, sorry i havnt responded sooner.Anyway,your machine is identical to mine.But,from what i caan see from your photos mine is missing a few bits.Firstly,the 2 cast plates on the left including whats below.I think it has something to do with the spindle moulder.Although i have a range of moulding blades and the assembly.The other item i have complete is the notorius thicknesser (frightened to use it).Also it came with the mortising attachment. So,it seems to me that i have an allmost complete combo machine.I guess you get that when you buy the bargain basket case.I am now looking for the missing bits and pieces.I believe we have the early models as the latter models were black in colour.If you know of someone with an early model manual i can buy,borrow,beg whatever it would be great.see ya .
If you type durden pacemaker into the forum search, there is a guy here who can email you one for print out. I have one but it is still in a plastic bag with some other bits and does not look like holding up well.
If i can I will scan mine for you when I get it cleaned up a bit.
Cheers

orca
22nd February 2010, 11:08 AM
hi bricks,thanks for that info.i will chase that link up.i need to sort out my printer first.cheers mate.orca

tanii51
2nd March 2010, 11:32 AM
something similar ... i cleaned up my bench drill table with a small wire brush on a 4 inch angle grinder then used lanotech to stop it rusting. it didnt seen to remove or damage any of the caste apart from the rust
or if you arnt too keen on that the electrolysis certainly works if you have a tub big enough
and my favorite for smaller things is soaking in a brown vinegar bath for a couple of days then a scrub with soapy water and a scotch brite pad
check out ebay for parts/blades manuals for durden eBay Seller: fw444400: Industrial, Cars, Bikes, Boats items on eBay Australia (http://shop.ebay.com.au/fw444400/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340)