PDA

View Full Version : woodfast M908 on eBay

stuffy
18th January 2010, 12:21 AM
As usual the bargains are on the other side of the Nullabor. :(

M908 in Bathurst (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WOODFAST-M908-WOOD-LATHE_W0QQitemZ330396065067QQcategoryZ92082QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63)

brendan stemp
18th January 2010, 09:29 AM
Anyone in the market for a lathe should keep an eye on this one.

ozhunter
18th January 2010, 09:37 AM
I might even put a bid on that, shipping could be a cost though :p

Ozkaban
18th January 2010, 10:26 AM
hmmm, very interesting...

May have to watch this one :cool:

ozhunter
18th January 2010, 12:00 PM
I've wanted to learn to turn for a while, just never got roundtuit. I put a bid on it, not sure I need it, but that's never stopped me before:)

Could be good to add another dimension to what I can do in my shed.

Ozkaban
18th January 2010, 07:24 PM
What'd one of these things go for new? I assume it's in the M910 range, but the new M910 looks awfully different, so the list price of that isn't much to go by.

My guess is a final price around $1k, but this coule be waaaay off :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
18th January 2010, 07:25 PM
Actually make that a bit more - forgot about the chisels and chucks...

Any more learned opinions out there?

stuffy
18th January 2010, 07:45 PM
Judge for youself but IMO this (http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Rural-Machinery/Machinery/Tools-Workshop-Equipment/AdNumber=TP003181201?BackToResult=true&AdOnTop=) seems reasonable.

:)

Christos
18th January 2010, 08:34 PM
I think it has to be more to do with the location.

Brother in law tried to get rid of a second hand car in Gosford. It went down to half of the asking price and still rejected. I have this car in Sydney now as my car is for service. I mention to some friends about the car and they have offer the asking price?

Could be a little cheap. :2tsup:

ozhunter
18th January 2010, 09:48 PM
Now lets not talk anyone into pushing the bidding up:D

EDIT: And the location is perfect

Ozkaban
19th January 2010, 09:21 AM
I think it has to be more to do with the location.

I agree - it adds $100 in petrol and a whole days effort to collect it from Bathurst.

Now lets not talk anyone into pushing the bidding up:D
EDIT: And the location is perfect
Now, now - don't get too ahead of yourself :D

Christos
19th January 2010, 09:23 PM
I see two bids on this and over two days to go so it is very early in what to expect as a final price.

Sorry same bidder? I think???

ozhunter
19th January 2010, 09:40 PM
I agree - it adds $100 in petrol and a whole days effort to collect it from Bathurst.

And Bathurst is a bugger of a place, why would anyone want to go there :no: and all the road works in the mountains make it a bitch of a trip :((

RETIRED
19th January 2010, 10:01 PM
And Bathurst is a bugger of a place, why would anyone want to go there :no: and all the road works in the mountains make it a bitch of a trip :((I have to agree,:wink: only good thing that was held there was a car race but they mucked that up by narrowing it down to 2 marques.

I wouldn't go there either.:D:whistling2:

ozhunter
19th January 2010, 10:14 PM
I see two bids on this and over two days to go so it is very early in what to expect as a final price.

Sorry same bidder? I think???

I put a bid on it

:wink:

ozhunter
19th January 2010, 10:19 PM
I have to agree,:wink: only good thing that was held there was a car race but they mucked that up by narrowing it down to 2 marques.

I wouldn't go there either.:D:whistling2:

LOL. I used to live there all my life (don't live there now, where their is a Lathe 2 minutes from where I would live if I lived there) , and never been to the races.

It's good fro the community, but a pain in the derriere for non petrol heads, lots and lots of people and cars and hoons (sounds like another thread that is going)

Big Shed
22nd January 2010, 05:24 PM
And Bathurst is a bugger of a place, why would anyone want to go there :no: and all the road works in the mountains make it a bitch of a trip :((

Looks like you either didn't get your message across, or you have another local competing with you:D

ozhunter
22nd January 2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah, the bugger. Still in there though. I rang the bloke that has it but he wasn't going to be home till today and I couldn't get round there today. Sounds like a decent enough bloke though. You will hear crying or laughing in a couple of hours.:):((

Big Shed
22nd January 2010, 06:19 PM
Good luck:2tsup:

ozhunter
22nd January 2010, 06:21 PM
:fingerscrossed:

ozhunter
22nd January 2010, 09:25 PM
Well, I did it. A bit more than I would have liked to have payed, but a lot less than I could have. (and considering I got this (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330396058596&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT) from the same bloke, a good deal all round)Somebody placed a couple of bids and then dropped the idea (dirty rotten scoundrel)

Now it's over I can come clean (probably not the right phrase but close enough). I did get a chance to go and see the guy late tonight, because he sounded like a bloke you would want to meet. We talked about the lathe and this and that. I bought a chainsaw off him and we had a general yarn.

Just before leaving, he said "Mate you seem like a good bloke, if you want the lathe, you can have it for $500. After I picked myself up off the floor, I told him because it was ebay he would have to talk to his son who had the lathe listed on his account. I didn't want to get in the middle of a scrap with ebay, the other bidder on the lathe and this blokes son, it didn't feel right. So I felt I had to do the right thing and decline his offer.

Just spoke to him and he is giving me a drill press for nothing, (haven't seen it yet so we'll wait and see on that one.) and a couple of pieces of wood that he never got round to turning.
He told me he learnt to use a lather from an old bloke who liked things done the right way and the bloke also helped him set up. He has a jig on the grinder that comes with the lathe to keep angles correct while sharpening. The old bloke made up some jobbies out of MS rod that slip on the jig to set the angle and a shop made angle gauge to double check the angle, very well made set up from what I saw of it.

All in all a very nice bloke. Almost generous to a fault, but happy to see the Lathe and associated stuff go to someone who really wanted it.

Get ready for a barrage of q's once I get the beast set up in my shed in a couple of months.

Christos
22nd January 2010, 09:38 PM
Just by what I am reading you have picked up quite a bit from this fellow.

I guess you need a few things? :U

ozhunter
22nd January 2010, 09:46 PM
I guess you need a few things? :U

Not now :D:D

Seriously, I'm like most people I know, I can't resist a fair dinkum bargain. That's how I ended up with the chainsaw (yes, I started it and gave it a good look over)

I've always liked working with wood, but could never get things to work right. I suppose old age and more knowledge (and more tools) have helped, but things seem to be going better, and turning is something that has fascinated me for ages. My brother use to do a bit, but not so much now.

Christos
22nd January 2010, 10:13 PM
Well then here is something for you to try, wood turning.

You are a lot closer then I am, at least you have a lathe.

ozhunter
22nd January 2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks to stuffy for finding this. :2tsup:

I think something is missing from your post Christos

ozhunter
22nd January 2010, 10:43 PM
Oh, sorry, got iy now. :B

Ozkaban
23rd January 2010, 12:45 PM
Well done OzHunter. Sounds like you've really scored a bargain. If it was closer to Sydney I would have been in there too! $800 for that lathe with all of those P&N chisels is a score.

Cheers,
Dave

ozhunter
24th January 2010, 10:20 AM
Yeah Dave, first time I've ever got anything off EvilBay that I consider a true bargain.

There are I think 8 P&N chisels, 3 home made parting chisels, a grinder and good solid steel stand, with three wheels set up to grind required angles very easily. I think there are three different chucks, a No2 Morse Taper chuck, plus a 2 tube fluorescent work light, a small work light, three scrapers, 4 spade bits, a face shield. a pair of earmuffs, some stuff (the name escapes me) to seal timber when you first cut it, a bottle of stain-in-a-stick (thats how he describes it) about 7 or 8 sticks in different shades.

I'm very pleased with myself. Now I need to get set-up and start to learn to turn.

Ozkaban
24th January 2010, 01:18 PM
Yeah Dave, first time I've ever got anything off EvilBay that I consider a true bargain.

There are I think 8 P&N chisels, 3 home made parting chisels, a grinder and good solid steel stand, with three wheels set up to grind required angles very easily. I think there are three different chucks, a No2 Morse Taper chuck, plus a 2 tube fluorescent work light, a small work light, three scrapers, 4 spade bits, a face shield. a pair of earmuffs, some stuff (the name escapes me) to seal timber when you first cut it, a bottle of stain-in-a-stick (thats how he describes it) about 7 or 8 sticks in different shades.

I'm very pleased with myself. Now I need to get set-up and start to learn to turn.

I consider it a real bargain too. Location helped you an awful lot there :2tsup:

Sounds like it was an excellent package. You don't need more than 8 chisels (some around here don't agree though :rolleyes:), the grinder looked useful and all of the other bits will be fun.

Oh, and a lot cheaper than the toy I just bought - the VL200 that was going. spent far too much (for my budget - not the lathe!).

As for learning to turn, hang about in this forum, get lessons and join a club... all very worthwhile! Oh, and practice heaps...

Cheers,
Dave

ozhunter
24th January 2010, 10:52 PM
Already spend more time here than SWMBO thinks is healthy.

HAD to have a play this morning. I know squat about turning except what I have picked up here and a little from the net.

The pic is the result of my game. It isn't anything, just a thing. The red colour is from playing with one of the colour sticks that came in the package. Have to admit it was fun (and quieter than I expected)

Some of the parts of the lathe and the chucks has been handled with sweaty hands recently and not wiped. Will it hurt to give what bits I can get off, as well as the chucks, a hit with a polishing belt on the linisher. Have used it to polish the main shaft of a couple of reloading presses without damage to the shaft.

artme
24th January 2010, 11:19 PM
Nice score Oz and a good little practice run you've had.

Think the linisher is a bit too much. Elbow grease and fine wet and dry is better, or perhaps a clothe wheel and powder on the grinder.

stuffy
28th January 2010, 10:14 PM
Congrats Ozhunter, I reckon you've done very well there.

:2tsup:

Having the grinder tools and chucks should mean you won't be up for any major outlay in the near future. The Woodfast isn't a lathe you'll want to upgrade in a hurry either. Join a club, get some lessons and read as much as you can as soon as you can. If you battle on by yourself you will have to unlearn wrong techniques, risk life and limb and grind your valuable chisels away unnecessarily.

Best Wishes

Steve
:)